Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chemical age -- metol

Re: Chemical age -- metol

I'm happy to answer your questions. I used to think I was an able writer and communicator.

I use a Gr 2 filter with the new LED head, typically, because going from no filter to, say, 2 1/2 or 3 changes the exposure more than from 2 to another such filter (save the extremes).

I used the Stouffer tablet to calibrate the contrast of the LED light (G-B balance) to output Gr. 2. I will not be changing that balance to change contrast; rather, I use the Ilford filters in the usual manner. As a result of the calibration, a print made with no filter is identical in contrast to one made with the 2 filter in place, once the time is compensated.

I should have said gamma, rather than density.

I do not have a problem with over-exposing my test prints. I test a clear area of the film for virtual D-max first. I say virtual, because I learned long ago that I had been overprinting in quest for deep black. As Bruce Barnbaum and others point out, the eye is not necessarily a good densitometer when comparing total black to near total. Since I selenium tone my prints, my "virtual" D-max is deepened adequately. When testing for exposure, I use good light to examine dry test strips if I'm making important prints.

For proofing negs, I fall into the camp that prefers a somewhat lower contrast proof in order to see details at both ends a bit better. I standardize proofing with Gr. 1 1/2 and occasionally confirm my times with processed blank film of the relevant format.

I hope this responds clearly to your questions. Let me know if I have failed again.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I'm still using out of a one pound jar of Kodak Elon, also known as metol, that I purchased in 1972. That makes it 51 years old. I wasn't especially careful with storage conditions for many years time. It is now a light tank color instead of white, but works just fine.

I know this thread is old but had to chime in since I have an Elon older than Musk, or so I thought. Actually, he was born in 1971, so is a year older.

I'm still using Kodak Elon from a five pound plastic jug. I had no idea that Kodak packaged it for sale in such large quantities, but it was too good a price -- I don't recall, but I assume so close to free I couldn't pass it up. I have no idea how old it is because I bought it "used" a LONG time ago -- when it was half empty. There is no date or year on the Kodak label, but the selling price was $85. I've never weighed it, and it's still close to half-full, and still works fine. It's still pretty white, only very slightly eggshell white, but I live in a dry climate.

So my conclusion is that Kodak's Elon is infinitely more stable than Musk's Elon -- but, of course, that's not saying much.

I wonder for how many of us the Kodak product is the first thing we think of when we see Musk's first name.

David

Elon was around a lot longer than when Musk started to wiggle...
    And so was Musk...

But with these older plastic Kodak jars, I have had a few start to crack/disintegrate and eggshell-like chips of the jars were nearby or inside, so it's wise to transfer the chems to sealed glass jars (like canning jars) before failure...

Also the steel lids can rust severely contaminating chems, so catch that early also...

Steve K

Gerald Koch told me that the glass Mason jars were good for chemicals, but to keep them in a dark cabinet as they are clear glass. He agreed with Steve that the caps should be watched.