Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing loup

Focusing loup

Hey guys need some recommendations I'm gathering all my gear I don't have a ground glass focusing loup.

I wear glasses can somebody recommend a good brand of loup. I've been looking around I'm wondering why some of them are two and a half inches long and some are only an inch long some have diopters some don't.

Re: Focusing loup

The long ones are good to use with cameras that have folding hoods behind the ground glass, and/or for more distance from the ground glass.
    I wear glasses and I use a Toyo/Omega long loupe, 4x magnification...but others will chime in with their preferences.
    You might have to try out a few to see what works best for you.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I wear glasses can somebody recommend a good brand of loup.
    If you are nearsighted then a pair of +3.0 reading glasses may be all you need. As to conventional loupes, I have never found one I like. I sometimes carry an old 8x Hastings magnifier.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

I found advice useless for this quest

I now use a USA 9X, out of production

I keep it around my neck

I tried many
    Tin Can

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    If you are nearsighted then a pair of +3.0 reading glasses may be all you need.
    +1
    I am mildly nearsighted and found the strongest drugstore reading glasses perfect for focusing.
    ----
    Niels

You need a wolf to help you focus?

Well from what I've read I've heard that 4X to 5x is the ideal magnification of a loupe. I don't have anything on the back of my camera so I guess I don't need any long one I can just get a short one I wasn't expecting 50 to $75 for a loupe.

Many find that a magnification of 5x to 8x works well, but as noted above, there are a host of solutions. Although some find optically poorly corrected magnifiers, such as the bell-bottomed plastic inexpensive ones, sufficient, I would not recommend them, perhaps because I also wear glasses. Although the center area of the ground glass may be easy enough, the edges and corners can become tricky to focus, even with well-corrected optics such as the Toyo or Wista loupes. My personal solution is to reverse the loupe and space it using a finger against the glass, checking for focus on the frosted GG pattern before checking/adjusting image focus.

A good loupe is a long-term investment. If needed, saving up for one may be a good reason to pinch pennies elsewhere.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Years ago I bought a 9x or 12x loupe from Edmund Optical. It came with a clear base but could be opaque (black) on request. It cost less than the ones from Schneider (8x) but is sharp and I still use it decades later.