Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which first Rear Movement and Asymmetrical Tilt Chamonix 45F2

Re: Which first Rear Movement and Asymmetrical Tilt Chamonix 45F2

Maybe I was a little too hasty in my last reply. If the Chamonix rear standard has precise tilt angle markings, you could do a calculation to transfer the desired focus angle change to the front standard, but I don't see any such markings on the Chamonix pictures I've looked at.

You could combine the perspective and asymmetrical focus on a Sinar P series, for example, by setting up the perspective first and recording the tilt angle. Next, you would do the focus correction using the asymmetrical rear tilt, and record the angular "difference" between the back angle at the perspective position, and at the focus position. This "difference" angle would be transferred to the front standard tilt, and the rear tilt would be moved back to the perspective correction angle. If you now do a general focus, everything should come into focus as desired, and your perspective should also be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Can anyone who actually uses asymmetrical tilt address the OP's specific question? What is your step-by-step approach to tackling the scenario posed?
    I don't know if Chamonix has a manual, but Ebony made one for asymmetrical rear movements. Here's an archived copy of it: https://archive.org/details/central-...s.pdf/mode/2up

I have an Ebony 45SU, and here's how I do rear tilt. I almost never use rear swing.

With the Ebony, there's a dotted line on the bottom of the ground glass that corresponds to the "center" of the asymmetric tilt (same with the right side for swing). If the Chamonix doesn't have this, you may want to add it, but it should. I focus what I want on that dotted line, then tilt the rear to get as much as I can of the subject into focus, then stop down as needed. In practice, I focus on the line, tilt the wrong way, notice that everything just got much worse, then tilt the right way. It's pretty easy and quick and you should be able to get the hang of it with some practice.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I found this old zone 6 page to be helpful....although I think the suggestions would apply to both base and axis tilts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	232894

I've used tilt for increasing depth of field or chancing focus in less than 1% of my pictures....I use for correcting the vertical perspective in probably 95% of pictures containing a building...

Thank you. The more recent responses were of much more value than the earlier ones.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

As the Chamonix 45F2 has its tilts hinged at the bottom, focus there first as that area of the focal plane will remain relatively unchanged. Then tilt for the foreground focus. As previously mentioned, expect to readjust several times for fine focus.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    As the Chamonix 45F2 has its tilts hinged at the bottom, focus there first as that area of the focal plane will remain relatively unchanged. Then tilt for the foreground focus. As previously mentioned, expect to readjust several times for fine focus.
    Mark, That's not correct. No secondary focusing has to be done with asymmetrical tilts. That's the whole point of them.

The line on the ground glass is in the same position as the hinge on the rear standard. So any rear tilting will not change the focus for the distance focusing which is done first. After focusing the distance along the marking on the ground glass, you tilt the rear standard back until the foreground is in focus.

The far focus remains unchanged because it's focused at the same position as the rear standard hinge which does not move.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Hmmmm, that's an interesting question.

You need to tilt the back to change perspective, but you also need to tilt the back to make use of the asymmetrical tilt focusing feature. I don't see how these two functions can be combined without conflicting. In other words, there's no advantage to using the asymmetrical tilt for focusing when you also need to tilt the back for perspective correction. I would tilt the back first to achieve the desired perspective, then use the front standard tilt to achieve desired focus in the conventional manner.
    Thank you. That is one of the questions i had. Your comment makes sense.

Thanks for this

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Mark, That's not correct. No secondary focusing has to be done with asymmetrical tilts.
    Respectfully, experience says secondary focusing always has to be done, regardless of the tilt system.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Respectfully, experience says secondary focusing always has to be done, regardless of the tilt system.
    Respectfully, I checked the focus after doing the tilt and it didn't move. No refocusing was necessary on my Chamonix 45H-1. Which asymmetrical camera did you try that required refocusing?