Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which first Rear Movement and Asymmetrical Tilt Chamonix 45F2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which first Rear Movement and Asymmetrical Tilt Chamonix 45F2

I just acquired a 45F2 with asymmetrical tilt. My question...If I use rear tilt to alter foreground perspective, should I do this before applying focus? And d0 I focus foreground or background first?

Re: Which first Rear Movement and Asymmetrical Tilt Chamonix 45F2

I assume you are total beginner, correct me if wrong

Get a book

First learn how to shoot without movements except focus
    Tin Can

Small town, South Carolina, US

Get a book, a magnifier of some sort and practice.

You might look up the instructions for Sinar cameras. Although the details of operation will be different, the principles will be the same.
    I used a Sinar F2 on the job for many years, but can't recall ever using asymmetrical movements (if indeed that model has them). It's been well over a decade now!

Hi, I think you're just checking for confirmation.

As you know, large format camera control is an iterative process and I would always check focus after any camera movements.

And generally, I focus background first then adjust for foreground but I don't believe it makes any difference, if it's done the other way around.

Asymmetrical Tilt or Swing.. idea/concept is to place the first point of focus as essentially fixed, this allows the second point/area to be adjusted without the first point of focus shifting too much. Goal of Asymmetrical Tilt or Swing is to ease or reduce the camera movement iterations to achieve where the actual plane of focus happens a bit easier over cameras without this feature.

There is often still the need to shift/rise/fall the ground glass image after swing/tilt movements are applied due to image position shift. There is no "free lunch"..

That said, have been a Sinar P user for decades and many other non Asymmetrical Tilt or Swing view cameras, it can save time and make applying these camera movements a easier and in some ways simpler .. but it still comes down to the skill and ability of the image maker to apply and implement these features to achieve their image goals.

Bernice

Can anyone who actually uses asymmetrical tilt address the OP's specific question? What is your step-by-step approach to tackling the scenario posed?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Can anyone who actually uses asymmetrical tilt address the OP's specific question? What is your step-by-step approach to tackling the scenario posed?
    See my last post. I have a Chamonix 45H-1 that has rear asymmetrical tilt.
    "Focus on the background first along the asymmetrical line marking for distance. Then apply asymmetrical tilt to the back standard until the foreground comes into best focus along the foreground asymmetrical line. You shouldn't have to refocus the lens."

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I don't know if Chamonix has a manual, but Ebony made one for asymmetrical rear movements. Here's an archived copy of it: https://archive.org/details/central-...s.pdf/mode/2up

I have an Ebony 45SU, and here's how I do rear tilt. I almost never use rear swing.

With the Ebony, there's a dotted line on the bottom of the ground glass that corresponds to the "center" of the asymmetric tilt (same with the right side for swing). If the Chamonix doesn't have this, you may want to add it, but it should. I focus what I want on that dotted line, then tilt the rear to get as much as I can of the subject into focus, then stop down as needed. In practice, I focus on the line, tilt the wrong way, notice that everything just got much worse, then tilt the right way. It's pretty easy and quick and you should be able to get the hang of it with some practice.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I found this old zone 6 page to be helpful....although I think the suggestions would apply to both base and axis tilts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	232894

I've used tilt for increasing depth of field or chancing focus in less than 1% of my pictures....I use for correcting the vertical perspective in probably 95% of pictures containing a building...