Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom vs Scanning

Re: Darkroom vs Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Calfmike - I can't tell if that was made by a digital printer, was made in the darkroom, or represents a rubber stamp and inkpad. Trying to evaluate such distinctions in a teeny tiny fuzzy web presence makes about as much sense as trying to saw down an oak tree with a fingernail file. Even the scanning and sharpening method for sake of the web might obscure much of what preceded that. Such approaches to objective comparison are worthless. There is simply no substitute for looking at real prints.
    Okay.

Well for your information it's a digital photo that is been ran through dxo film pack where they offer 25 different film simulations where you could control the grain you can control every aspect. He actually took the actual film grain from each of the 25 films and implemented it and copied it into the film simulation.

Amazing program that's my point I'm actually going to have it printed out through inkjet printer on some good inkjet paper and evaluate it.

I will tell you on my computer screen at home it looks fabulous I've taken scanned images that are taken from film and posted on the web and put them next to images that I know or digital and have been manipulated in the dxo software and I can't tell the damn difference. I'm going to have it printed out and put next to a print that has come out of the dark room to do my true evaluation so far I'm extremely impressed by the software.

I guess what I'm trying to do is see how close the digital realm in a final print can come to a dark room print that's my objective that is going to make my determination whether I stay shooting film or I switched to digital.

Learn how to post images better

My last image posted

Porch Wasp by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

This is great news! Where can I get that software plugin that will give all my crappy photos that Eliot Porter look?
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    This is great news! Where can I get that software plugin that will give all my crappy photos that Eliot Porter look?
    Ha ha.

Simple, click on the Eliot Porter "filter" button... done.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post

Not quite that simple it's not just click on a film profile and you're done there's quite a bit more involved than that.

It'll be real interesting to see how far digital printing and software has come I can't wait to compare it with a dark room print. There may not be no clear winner I may like both of them I don't know that's kind of why I'm doing it.

Is that a double negative?

Let's see what develops...

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Not quite that simple it's not just click on a film profile and you're done there's quite a bit more involved than that.

It'll be real interesting to see how far digital printing and software has come I can't wait to compare it with a dark room print. There may not be no clear winner I may like both of them I don't know that's kind of why I'm doing it.
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    It's oversharpened whatever the materials. I could drive a tractor through the furrows on his forehead.
    that's the ortho look... Karsh made full use of TriX Ortho film to give men ruddy complexions like this..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Obviously film. You can tell right away because of the continuous tonality function, lack of clinicalisticality which also means this was a film without conspiratorial tabular grains, and the expressiveness of the eyes. It also was obviously developed in pyro. You can tell right away from the gloriousitudinals in the rendering of the shirt.
    that's what I was thinking !

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post

people who don't know how involved something is don't get it. It's like the goofballs who claim their 4 year old can make a Pollock, Warhol or Rothko.

have fun with the new camera and lenses!