Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom vs Scanning

Re: Darkroom vs Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I had 36X48" printed DIGI and mounted, very reasonably inside USA and delivered

I had the perfect $5 baroque frame from Goodwill

Kinda depends on your goal

Printer got worried and offered a reprint

Not necessary, as it was exactly how and what I wanted and specced
    How much does a print that size cost ?

Too bad Ken Lee doesn’t seem to be around here anymore. He was making high quality inkjet prints from scanned B&W film and knew a lot about it. As of a few years ago he was using a Piezography/Epson setup, which we discussed at length here. Things may have evolved since then though. Depending on who you ask, you might do just as well with off the shelf Epson or Canon.

I have seen some very very nice prints come out of Canon Prograf 1000, $1000 printer, but the inks are crazy pricey.

Lachlan 717

Since I had a 7x17” scan printed on metallic, I won’t go back to wet.

Love the glow the paper gives to the B&W midtones.

Mind you, carbon printing is on the to-do list. Nothing digital matches these and no “traditional” DR print does either. One day….
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

multiplex

Hi Califmike33
    People who know what they are doing always make things look super easy like they are doing nothing special, like darkroom work digital print making isn't something you just learn in a weekend, there is a learning curve. that said, darkroom work is fun ( I expose bigger than 22x28 paper negatives, enlarge upto 5x7 film and do alt process work), hybrid can be very flexible, allowing for sizes I can not print myself ( I can print up to 20x24). I've had hybrid things printed 6foot by8foot for clients, and they look spectacular... in the end, it all depends on what you do and what. like with everything these days, some folks might poo poo the whole process and say it's lifeless or not nuanced, galleries and museums don't want them &c but digital prints can look pretty amazing out of the hands of an expert, just like prints out of an expert darkroom printer. ... it's not 2001, galleries and museums are well aware of conservation issues regarding pigment on paper. I don't have a grand format printer, and at least for me it makes more sense to do the processing, scanning and leave the printing with someone I trust and I appreciate.
    good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    In any case, my suggestion to OP is to try to view some high quality inkjet. Off the top of my head one excellent example would be Brian Kosoff, who comes from a darkroom background and still makes some silver prints but mostly does inkjet now (including colour).

There are others of course.
    Clyde Butcher in Florida. Because of age he's switched to digital cameras from ULF and LF and uses digital printers and still traditional chemical printing. He charges differently but the pictures of both types I saw are all beautiful.
    https://clydebutcher.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Califmike33
    People who know what they are doing always make things look super easy like they are doing nothing special, like darkroom work digital print making isn't something you just learn in a weekend, there is a learning curve. that said, darkroom work is fun ( I expose bigger than 22x28 paper negatives, enlarge upto 5x7 film and do alt process work), hybrid can be very flexible, allowing for sizes I can not print myself ( I can print up to 20x24). I've had hybrid things printed 6foot by8foot for clients, and they look spectacular... in the end, it all depends on what you do and what. like with everything these days, some folks might poo poo the whole process and say it's lifeless or not nuanced, galleries and museums don't want them &c but digital prints can look pretty amazing out of the hands of an expert, just like prints out of an expert darkroom printer. ... it's not 2001, galleries and museums are well aware of conservation issues regarding pigment on paper. I don't have a grand format printer, and at least for me it makes more sense to do the processing, scanning and leave the printing with someone I trust and I appreciate.
    good luck !
    Thank you for your input on the subject. I would sayi have a few thousand hours at least in the darkroom, but like i said was many many years ago. I need to go somewhere and look first hand at some high quality inkjet prints and see for myself.

I have several digital cameras over the past 10 years and sold them off, just never thrilled me to shoot digital.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Thank you for your input on the subject. I would sayi have a few thousand hours at least in the darkroom, but like i said was many many years ago. I need to go somewhere and look first hand at some high quality inkjet prints and see for myself.

I have several digital cameras over the past 10 years and sold them off, just never thrilled me to shoot digital.
    have fun!
    I've never had problem with digital ( been using it since the 90s ) but my interests might be different from most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    have fun!
    I've never had problem with digital ( been using it since the 90s ) but my interests might be different from most people.
    I will have fun, cant wait to get started.

Your question appears partly driven by cost, convenience and time. What is the desired end use of your prints? Personal pleasure, fine art sales, fame?

The comparisons of process have been a topic for discussion since 1989. What is best can only be answered by you. These are two very different processes.

Let us know your chosen route. Indeed, have fun!