Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom vs Scanning

multiplex

Re: Darkroom vs Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    Picky, picky, picky....Maybe I should have said 'irregular' or 'rounded' ... either way you get the idea. ;-)
    not really picky, but IDK if one makes an argument that digital is one specific type of shaped "grain" and all film is another different, better type, I'd hope the descriptors would be right
    none of this stuff really matter to me, large or small format, doesn't matter to me, digital or film or glass negative, D76 or "urinol" developer, doesn't matter to me either, im more interested in other things
    ... unfortunately a lot of people who use chemical based photography for whatever reasons put all sorts of barriers up for themselves to "other" everyone else, instead of just realizing
    it's just photography and it really doesn't matter what shaped grain it is, or if a computer helped develop the image.

That's just me, I'd rather just make things.

you got the quote wrong, asa1000, "it depends on what the meaning of IS is". not it . LOL.

"Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words" - Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

But then again: "Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power." - What Google says

It is not at all clear to me why that definition should not apply to the photographers and photographs I most admire.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Just because the term and definition of art comes up so much on forums, here’s some fodder:

“ Leo Tolstoy’s What is Art? (1896) is a treatise concerning the nature and purpose of art, describing how art can express moral values. Tolstoy does not define art in terms of its ability to express form and beauty, but instead defines art in terms of its ability to communicate concepts of morality. For Tolstoy, aesthetic values are defined by moral values.

According to Tolstoy, art cannot be defined as an activity which produces beauty. Beauty cannot be defined objectively, and therefore cannot be used as a criterion to define what is, or is not, art. The aim of art is not merely to produce beauty, or to provide pleasure, enjoyment, or entertainment. Art is a means of communication, and is an important means of expression of any experience, or of any aspect of the human condition.

Tolstoy defines art as an expression of a feeling or experience in such a way that the audience to whom the art is directed can share that feeling or experience. Art does not belong to any particular class of society. To limit the subject matter of art to the experiences of a particular class of society is to deny that art can be important for all of society. Tolstoy criticizes the belief that art is only relevant to a particular class of society, saying that this is a misconception which can lead to obscurity and decadence in art.”

Really like Tolstoy
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    "Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words" - Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady.
    to quote tina and her sisters
    <...>
    Words of wisdom, words of strife
    Words that write the book I like
    Words won't find no right solution
    To the planet earth's pollution
    Say the right word, make a million
    Words are like a certain person
    Who can't say what they mean
    Don't mean what they say
    <...>
    art's just art, it's nebulous.
    Last edited by jnantz; 7-Dec-2022 at 09:11.

My reply to all this ART talk is , ART is beautiful, life is boring without ART..

"The arts are not simply skills: their concern is the intellectual, ethical, and spiritual maturity of human life. And in a time when religious and political institutions are so busy engraving images of marketable gods and candidates that they lose their vision of human dignity, the arts have become the custodians of those values which most worthily define humanity, which most sensitively define Divinity."

“In these days of political, personal and economic disintegration, music is not a luxury, it's a necessity; not simply because it is therapeutic, nor because it is the universal language, but because it is the persistent focus of our intelligence, aspiration and goodwill.”

~Robert Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    My reply to all this ART talk is , ART is beautiful, life is boring without ART..

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    not really picky, but IDK if one makes an argument that digital is one specific type of shaped "grain" and all film is another different, better type, I'd hope the descriptors would be right
    none of this stuff really matter to me, large or small format, doesn't matter to me, digital or film or glass negative, D76 or "urinol" developer, doesn't matter to me either, im more interested in other things
    ... unfortunately a lot of people who use chemical based photography for whatever reasons put all sorts of barriers up for themselves to "other" everyone else, instead of just realizing
    it's just photography and it really doesn't matter what shaped grain it is, or if a computer helped develop the image.

That's just me, I'd rather just make things.

you got the quote wrong, asa1000, "it depends on what the meaning of IS is". not it . LOL.

LOL! thanks for the clarification! ... and your 'barriers' comment was right on.
    This thread itself is 'art'... just look at all the critics!!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    LOL! thanks for the clarification! ... and your 'barriers' comment was right on.
    This thread itself is 'art'... just look at all the critics!!

LOL exactly, definitely art
    Last edited by jnantz; 6-Dec-2022 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    "The arts are not simply skills: their concern is the intellectual, ethical, and spiritual maturity of human life. And in a time when religious and political institutions are so busy engraving images of marketable gods and candidates that they lose their vision of human dignity, the arts have become the custodians of those values which most worthily define humanity, which most sensitively define Divinity."

“In these days of political, personal and economic disintegration, music is not a luxury, it's a necessity; not simply because it is therapeutic, nor because it is the universal language, but because it is the persistent focus of our intelligence, aspiration and goodwill.”

~Robert Shaw
    "Truth is What Gets the Most Applauds"

Buffalo Bill Cody