Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom vs Scanning

Re: Darkroom vs Scanning

Here you go all you hardcore darkroom guys, this i found very inspiring.

https://youtu.be/eovDkph3w7U

I have learned to dislike all DIGI printers

Peace, quiet in MY Darkroom was all I wanted since 1958

I wasted nearly 2 decades with DIGI

I use DIGI everyday, but never for printing
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Here you go all you hardcore darkroom guys, this i found very inspiring.

https://youtu.be/eovDkph3w7U
    Notice it is produced and sponsored by Epson and never makes any comparison between darkroom prints and digital prints. Just makes the point that you should print your work—assuming it is digital and for most people just stays on a computer hard drive.

Drew Wiley

People promote what they're paid to promote. That's called a contract, or at least an inside track when it comes to free publicity and free toys. I could mention several well-known photographers who now go around preaching inkjet, but who actually did better work back in their own darkroom days. One was a major Epson consultant and advocate in his own season, back when I was receiving all kinds of fancy free toys in my own category of expertise due to tooting the horn for certain manufacturers.

I really don't care either way. Whatever works, works. I just personally prefer the tactility and hands-on nuance control of real darkroom workflow, and am accordingly well-equipped. No sense changing now. But I won't hesitate to poke fun at all the "gotta have the latest and greatest" mentality. I'll stick with a definition of "digital" which refers to my own ten fingers.

Yes promoted by Epson, but John never said a word about digital or inkjets, he talked about images, printing his passion but never said digital, and he is all about darkroom printing, interesting video.

Yes promoted by Epson, but John never said a word about digital or inkjets, he talked about images, printing his passion but never said digital, and he is all about darkroom printing, interesting video.
    I agree, the video stresses printing, never has a preference. But since it is sponsored by Epson, I understand that he is somehow using their products. Otherwise, why would they sponsor him and why would he accept the sponsorship? If you look at his workshop brochure (from 2011), he lists a slew of sponsors and states that he uses their products and services.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I agree, the video stresses printing, never has a preference. But since it is sponsored by Epson, I understand that he is somehow using their products. Otherwise, why would they sponsor him and why would he accept the sponsorship? If you look at his workshop brochure (from 2011), he lists a slew of sponsors and states that he uses their products and services.
    Very interesting, he uses there products to print christmas cards and thats it, but good enough, haaa.

Drew Wiley

People have to make a living, and if you're in a position to endorse this or that, and it's a reputable product, that doesn't mean you're forced to use it for your personal work.
    Heck, I used black and white RC papers for sake of commercial offset reproduction, and have recommended them for that application, but would never use anything but FB for my personal b&w output.

There's an elderly photographer across the Bay who has long made his living on black and white prints only, and has barely eked out a living, but has to be admired for doing that. He didn't make enough to buy a house, and when he was informed that the house he had long rented was being sold, and he would be evicted in a few months, and his darkroom space lost, he wisely invested in drum scans of his favorite negatives and learned inkjet printing. His ongoing work looks wonderful.... BUT all along, it's been very very black and white, period. No special toning or subtle hues interjected. Wouldn't work for me, because that's not my own style of black and white printing. But I'm glad it worked for him; otherwise, his career would have ended.

Very interesting, he uses there products to print christmas cards and thats it, but good enough, haaa.
    I doubt he would risk his reputation like that. He would want any future sponsors to take him seriously and that he would take their products seriously. Otherwise, what is a sponsorship worth to either party?

multiplex

the problem is that for many many people a print made from an epson printer or canon printer with pigments is every good as one pulled out of a darkroom and many people who love darkroom work will never admit or acknowledge this. They just keep flogging the dead horse as if it was 2001.