Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best choice portrait BW film

multiplex

Re: Best choice portrait BW film

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I ordered some I think it's FTP mummy 200 speed film 25 sheets for $29 figure be good to start out with not too expensive to mess around with till I get the feel for everything.
    it's inexpensive, that's good.
    so you can't forget to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Wonder if mummy 200 is the same as Frankenstein 200 as the same as Arista EDU 200 as the same as Foma 200...

Previous discussion.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rst-test-shots

Bernice

It maybe the same i have no idea. I think to get the feel for developing, loading film holders, just the whole 4x5 exp this a good way to start out for a box or two. I ordered some D-76 so i guess i will use that to start.

Aren't the only 2 wild cards

Foma and China
    Tin Can

I have another question that's maybe doesn't fall under this category. Is there any type of Polaroid backs or Polaroid type film available today for 4x5 cameras?. I know you can still get old Polaroid but that stuff like ridiculously expensive is there any modern stuff that's come out in the last 5 years?

"I know you can still get old Polaroid but that stuff like ridiculously expensive is there any modern stuff that's come out in the last 5 years?"

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

I glued a Sony NexC3 body to a lens board, and it's going to working great for testing. It even indicates exposure. Sony was Sixty bucks at the used camera store. A lot cheaper than Fujiroid

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Test exposure with Nex3 150mm f5.6 chrome Symmar. Camera was handheld! Handheld view camera photography LOL
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 22-Nov-2022 at 15:10.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Very interesting device I might have to check into that.

The film I have is not mummy it's 200 speed Frankenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Aren't the only 2 wild cards

Foma and China
    Don't know about wild cards. But Fomapan 400 is brilliant if you are making portraits in cool north light. Wonderful skin tones. The speed is OK, don't expect more than EI 200.

I will look into the Fomopan film to go along with my Frankenstein 200. Got my film holders in the mail today, camera and lens arrive friday, getting really excited to start. I know i will have to play with different films and devolopers and see what look i like.

I watched a couple of good youtube videos on Fomopan vs Tri x both 400speed, the Fomopan has a much larger grain pattern for sure, looks a bit grainy for my taste.

B&W film grain.. what degree of enlargement/magnification?

Not going to be much if any visible grain from a 4x5 contact print. Significant visible grain close up for a Six foot X Four foot projection enlargement from a frame of 35mm B&W film.. Similar visible grain for 4x5 once projection enlarged printed up BIG..

~What are your print goals?

Part of why sheet film is to reduce the amount of enlargement/magnification to gain improvements in tonality and visible grain in the print. If the print magnification is not more than 4x, film grain visibility is more often than not an issue at all.

Keep in mind most film folks on YouTube and similar are producing content based on 35mm or 120 roll film, typically not on sheet film.

Add, film image size does make a significant difference, even with the very best camera/optics and such there remains a significant advantage from the larger film image until the film image size becomes a limitation of it's own as there are very real limitations at 8x10 sheet film and larger.
    It is much dependent on what the image goals are. Note, there are very real advantages to 35mm roll film too, as each film format has minus/plus and their specific trade offs.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I watched a couple of good youtube videos on Fomopan vs Tri x both 400speed, the Fomopan has a much larger grain pattern for sure, looks a bit grainy for my taste.

Drew Wiley

If one wants that shotgun grain of old-school 35mm photojournalism, then Tri-X makes sense. Just depends on what expectations are in a portrait, as well as its degree of enlargement. It's still quite visible in most 4x5 format examples in the lighter areas even at 4X, and somewhat even in 8x10 work magnified even less.
    I'd personally avoid anything like that for portraiture, at least of smooth complexions or high-key subjects, if I expected to be paid. But everyone if free to take their own path.