Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

multiplex

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Really a 20x24 is all I can get out of a 4x5 negative? I've seen 16x20s coming from a 6x7 negative that looks stunning up close.

The lens board will be fine I have to admit the cameras and not that stable I mean it's okay I got it on a good tripod. There's definitely some flex and stuff in the camera but once your shots lined up and you let it sit for a second to make sure there's no vibrations you're fine.

When I get through that lens board is going to fit snug as a bug it won't move a bit, what do you expect for a 350 dollar camera. The cost that I would cost me to ship it back from California to the UK probably about $75 to get a $250 refund hardly worth the trouble. I think for now this camera is going to do maybe another year year and a half I'll switch it out that 210 mm lens is heavy and the camera seems fine.
    IDK if 20x24 is all you can get from a 4x5 film, for some people I'm sure, I mean I read people who are kind of excessive and say they refuse to enlarge a 35mm frame bigger than 5x7? it's weird because I know others who print 30x40 out of a 35mm frame. ... it all depends on what YOU want to do. photographers seem to be the only people who put their nose to the glass and inspect grain, I'd venture to say most people don't really care... unless it's part of "the story" so when someone comes into a gallery and might want to buy and eventually, maybe collect they know the story and can talk about it to friends, family and admirers, I know when we owned a gallery we'd tell the story behind the art when people came in off the street and showed an interest. sometimes the story these days is substituted by a 30 second elevator pitch "statement"..
    have fun with the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    This spanner wrench tool is useful for tightening lenses on boards. It's made to handle many types of shutters and lenses.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...AaAtIEEALw_wcB
    I bought this one because it was metal. The cheaper ones were plastic. I also bought glass lenses instead of plastic ones.

Thank you

Completely depends on your goals and definitions of "stunning"..

There have been countless millions of Large bill board ADs made using 4x5 film in decades past. They are more than good enough for eye catching AD promo displays from that time..

The 20"x24" B&W print size restriction comes from B&W paper availability. screen shot from Freestyle foto's paper page. Choices of 20"x24" papers available are 30. Moving up to 42", choices of 42" paper drops down to 7..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Freestyle foto paper.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	232971
    https://www.freestylephoto.biz/categ...nd-White-Paper

This print size limit and trade-off has been true for a long time..

Back to print size limit, again it really depends on the individual image creator's goals. Personally, it has been 5x7 or 13x18cm B&W negatives projection enlarged to typically aprox 10"x14" or about 2x and no larger than 4x at the absolute max. This is what is deemed as acceptable.. Scaling this back results in the B&W paper restriction of 20"x24" print paper. The 2x preference has less to do with "sharpness or resolution" it's much about tonality and all those other aspects of B&W images.

Color is a different roll all together..

Bernice

Really a 20x24 is all I can get out of a 4x5 negative? I've seen 16x20s coming from a 6x7 negative that looks stunning up close.

It does depend on print viewing distance by the observer, and what level of detail that you want in the print. What works for a bill board from a distance - probably won't work close up in a picture frame. Of course it depends on what you are doing.

Yes indeediee, print viewing distance absolutely figures into this and it is fixed due to the way humanoid vision functions.

Other considerations are space and place where print(s) are displayed and the type of print illumination and print illumination intensity and more.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    It does depend on print viewing distance by the observer, and what level of detail that you want in the print. What works for a bill board from a distance - probably won't work close up in a picture frame. Of course it depends on what you are doing.

Got a question for you guys do most 4x5 field cameras have a zero position for rise and fall? My current camera does not have that position how do I determine where it is?

Previously on LFF..
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...netting-on-4x5

Bernice

Got a question for you guys do most 4x5 field cameras have a zero position for rise and fall? My current camera does not have that position how do I determine where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Yes indeediee, print viewing distance absolutely figures into this and it is fixed due to the way humanoid vision functions.

Other considerations are space and place where print(s) are displayed and the type of print illumination and print illumination intensity and more.

Bernice

I still remember the stunned look on people's faces when they would enter Grand Central Station when Kodak was showing 60 foot slides on the galley made from 35mm Kodachrome 25.

KR25 projected, short life.. _!_ colors and more..

Remember when..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodachrome 25.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	232981

From a different place in time, The New Lab once offered next day processing for Kodachrome.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I still remember the stunned look on people's faces when they would enter Grand Central Station when Kodak was showing 60 foot slides on the galley made from 35mm Kodachrome 25.