Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

multiplex

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Ok thanks guys, i got my lens today from Igor and im confused a bit, it doesnt say Rodenstock anywhere on the lens, it says Sinar S 210mm f5.6, and it doenst say APO anywhere on the lens but it did in his Ebay ad. Looking at the lens its not mint 9.5 all the lettering on the lens barrel is faded, like faded white. I want to ask your guys opinion did he not sell me the lens that i ordered ?
    Is it the lens with the same serial numbers as in the ad (10923117 ) or a different one? it seems there were several of these lenses he was selling
    If you aren't happy with it, just return it and get another. Igor accepts returns ... affordable LF lenses are a dime a dozen on eBay, once you are here long enough you might find something in the classy fides here ...
    personally, I keep away from anything that says APO, not trying to stir a pot but to be honest, I have never noticed a difference. LOL ..
    Last edited by jnantz; 24-Nov-2022 at 08:10.

but how is the glass and shutter?

I'm out
    Tin Can

That lens is still on Ebay. Sinar selected only the best of the bestest glass to put their name on. Perhaps you will really like it if you try it. If not exchange it. $445 is alot for a 210, but I don't buy into that APO jazz myself. Not trying to agitate, just try it before you send it back. Don't get discouraged, simply move on and get it going. That is a very fine fine lens if it checks out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14473100174...Bk9SR5D_sKKVYQ

EDIT: A Sinaron-S lens is very choice. In these photos the paint is a bit faded. Is this the lens you received? "Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N (Sinaron S)" is the listing title
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Consider filters. If you use them or will, you want to get filters for the largest size lens. Then use an adapter to fit the filter on the smaller-sized required lenses.

Ok thanks guys, i got my lens today from Igor and im confused a bit, it doesnt say Rodenstock anywhere on the lens, it says Sinar S 210mm f5.6, and it doenst say APO anywhere on the lens but it did in his Ebay ad. Looking at the lens its not mint 9.5 all the lettering on the lens barrel is faded, like faded white. I want to ask your guys opinion did he not sell me the lens that i ordered ?
    It is Rodenstock - Sinaron S is just Sinar's private-labeled version of the (Apo-)Sironar-N series.

That is the lens I received maybe not the exact lens as far as serial number but mine looks exactly like that lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    It is Rodenstock - Sinaron S is just Sinar's private-labeled version of the (Apo-)Sironar-N series.
    Well there you go my first rookie mistake didn't know that thank you. The glass looks good on the lens the lens looks very good except all the white lettering seems to be very faded out which in my opinion is not a 9.5 mint lens so it seems a bit generous the rating. I don't see any scratches on the glass everything works on it yeah 445 is a lot for a 210 lens there are several on eBay in the $200 range one of my downfalls is I typically have to have or try to get the best I can get.

Well Congrats! Let's see a test
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Well Congrats! Let's see a test
    Camera arrives tomorrow be putting the lens on taking some photos I'll be posting some stuff soon.

A pretty lens alone can never produce a prettier image...

If you're not ok with this lens, return it to Igor..

Sinaron S series are Sinar branded ala "checked" by the folks at Sinar Rodenstock Sironar series of lenses.. Just before the end of LF view camera lens mass production Rodenstock and Schneider re-designed their LF view camera lens offerings, branded them "APO" and such which is more marketing moniker than industry agreed upon International standard point of reference..

Picture of your lens from Igor camera?

Last Sinaron lens offering from Sinar would have a color ring on the front element of the lens, White/Yellow indicated Sinaron S aka-or Rodenstock APO sironar N with 72 degrees of image circle coverage. Red ring indicated Sinaron SE or Rodenstock APO sironar S with 75 degrees of image circle coverage. These were sold in Sinar DB/DBM mount and in shutter. If your specific lens does NOT have the color ring.. not as advertised..

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...eally-the-same

Story to share.. Back in the 1990's when the Rodenstock "APO" sironar series was introduced with Much Fan-Fare at the local Foto store, got a chance to demo these new "APO" lenses.. Easy back then. Take the demo lenses to the studio, mount the lenses on a Sinar lens board, put the lens on the Sinar P2, take a few test color transparencies with the camera pointed out the window in a sunny day, make some in-studio images, take the box of film to The New Lab (E6 processing) about 2 hours later... have a look-see. Results.... Sharp, contrasty, hard-edged snappy and all that with consistent optical performance from f11 to f32.. what's not to like about this.. "Sharp, contrasty, hard-edged snappy and all that"... Went back to using the set of Kodak Commercial Ektars circa 1950's..

~All about trade-offs with none as absolute.

Over the decades since there have been Many opportunities to own any to the entire set of Rodenstock's series of "APO" sironar lenses including the now highly sought after Sironar W which is the 80 degrees of image circle and oversized front lens cell version of this series.. about zero motivation to act on any of that to this day..

Question is.. how will this lens be tested? what will define acceptance-reject?

Which brings up the goal of, "I typically have to have or try to get the best I can get.".. what is defined as "the best"?
    Having never previously done this LF sheet film stuff, typically one only has their historical experience to draw (tends to be mis-leading to might not at all to the LF sheet film stuff) from unless there is a extremely experienced mentor to provide hands on/real time experiences.. and what is easily done decades ago might no longer be possible. Point being, don't fall into the "found it on the web, so it must be true Trap".. It takes a few thousand sheets of film and hard learned experience by the tonnage to figure out your image goals related to this LF sheet film stuff. Moderation at the beginning of the LF journey is extremely prudent and wise and don't fall into the other trap of impulsiveness.

All that said, the opinion of highly favoring a modern plasmat in a modern shutter remains as these are excellent general purpose lenses that does most Good with not a lot of limitations or negative traits.

Bernice

Well there you go my first rookie mistake didn't know that thank you. The glass looks good on the lens the lens looks very good except all the white lettering seems to be very faded out which in my opinion is not a 9.5 mint lens so it seems a bit generous the rating. I don't see any scratches on the glass everything works on it yeah 445 is a lot for a 210 lens there are several on eBay in the $200 range one of my downfalls is I typically have to have or try to get the best I can get.