Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

As one long away from photography who managed to start wading back in about five years ago, I looking forward to seeing some of your work. I'm probably not nearly as good with the 4x5 as you, but my interest in primarily portraits and I had nothing but a 210 until about 18 months ago when a 135 joined it -- easier for certain interior images, as I tend to prefer more environment than head and shoulders framing. Mine, by the way, is a less known Komura "Commercial," 6.3. Plenty of coverage for movements, perfectly sharp enough for me (I'm not a pore-seeker), nice rendering. The 135 is a Nikkor.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I will post some work then i get all my gear together, im so sure your work is far superior to mine. I have not heard of that lens Komura, but again just getting back into it, never heard of Caltar lenses till today either, look foward to seeing your work and sharing mine.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Lenses from lesser and unknown brands can be as good as any: Congo, Computar, Kowa, Kyvytar ... Many of these, and others, can be rebrandings - sometimes a Kyvytar is a Computar (or is it vice versa?), and so on.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

The Caltar II is likely a Calumet re-branded Rodenstock Sironar N, perfectly excellent does most modern view camera lens. Long as the shutter works and is consistent, there is simply not a lot to be overly concerned about it... for now.

Once you're up and making images, and have made enough portraits, then is the time to possibly consider what to alter if anything.. Lens/camera/film and .. are of lesser importance in portrait making as expression captured in the image, lighting, pose and the capturing some aspect of essence within the portrait sitter is often FAR more significant than "gear"...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    _never heard of Caltar lenses till today either, look foward to seeing your work and sharing mine.

As far as landscapes and portraits go - I tend to use longer lenses for portraits, and wider lenses for landscapes (for most images) - in general. For portraits it depends on whether you are shooting a head and shoulder, half or 3/4 body or full body, or environmental portrait. Lenses I use in landscapes images are all over the board from the widest lens to the longest lens that your camera will support. A 210mm is a very good all around lens. As far as manufacturer of a lens - they are all very good. I work with a number of lenses manufactured from 1940's to 1990's.

The challenge really is finding or creating an image - pre-visualizing the image - exposing, developing, printing, and observing if what you thought the image was going to be (pre-visualized) is what you ended up with. And then doing the process over and over. There is very good information in the prior comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    As far as landscapes and portraits go - I tend to use longer lenses for portraits, and wider lenses for landscapes (for most images) - in general. For portraits it depends on whether you are shooting a head and shoulder, half or 3/4 body or full body, or environmental portrait. Lenses I use in landscapes images are all over the board from the widest lens to the longest lens that your camera will support. A 210mm is a very good all around lens. As far as manufacturer of a lens - they are all very good. I work with a number of lenses manufactured from 1940's to 1990's.

The challenge really is finding or creating an image - pre-visualizing the image - exposing, developing, printing, and observing if what you thought the image was going to be (pre-visualized) is what you ended up with. And then doing the process over and over. There is very good information in the prior comments.
    Your totally correct thanks for reminding me of that.

I think i found a 210mm Rodenstock APO N in mint condition for $425 and im going to buy it, i think this is a good starting lens to go with. I was getting to hung up on lenses, you guys took away alot of wanting to get the best of the best and trying to find out what that was. I see there isnt a huge difference between lenses and i find that good, makes picking much easier.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

This is the lens i want, do you guys think its a fair price , seems like its in excellent shape ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14473100174...mis&media=COPY
    Last edited by Califmike33; 19-Nov-2022 at 21:46.

This is a good choice, and all the above are good advices - but only if the out of focus rendition is irrelevant.

Don't exactly recall, but isn't the 210mm HD Caltar a Tessar?

If so, it has an adequate, though not a generous, image circle.

Here's a snip from another EBay listing for a 300mm HR Caltar lens . . .

"My understanding is that the HR Series lenses were manufactured by Topcon (Horseman) for Calumet Camera."

I also remember the Caltar Pro as being a Tessar lens.

multiplex

Igors is a good outfit. he's not somebody holed out in his mom's basement selling "my friend's grandparents lens I know nothing about"
    Last edited by jnantz; 24-Nov-2022 at 08:07.