Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Caps… covers for the two ends. To keep the optics clean and undamaged when it’s not in use. They are not included when you buy their loupe.
    Rodenstock Schneider, Linos, Sinar loupes also come without caps. Fortunately, if it matters, Kaiser has lots of caps to fit almost anything.

I just confirmed that my Chamonix 45H-1 is built so that the order is the lens, ground glass with grain side toward the lens, Fresnel, then your eye. If I use a loupe with a fixed focal plane, I'm focusing on the Fresnel not the grain of the ground glass where the film would lie when inserted.

So I need a loupe that allows changes to its focal plane.

Can someone confirm if the 6X eTone adjusts the focus plane as well as the diopter? If not, other recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just confirmed that my Chamonix 45H-1 is built so that the order is the lens, ground glass with grain side toward the lens, Fresnel, then your eye. If I use a loupe with a fixed focal plane, I'm focusing on the Fresnel not the grain of the ground glass where the film would lie when inserted.

Can someone confirm if the 6X eTone adjusts the focus plane as well as the diopter? If not, other recommendations.
    See suggestions in my last post.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post

Also consider a loupe with a soft base that won't scratch up the Fresnel screen.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have a clip-on magnifier lens that attaches to the front of my eyeglasses that say +4.0. Is that a magnifier of 4x or 4x diopter? What is the difference? Does anyone use these clip-ons in lieu of a loupe?

I'm looking at buying my second lens I think I want to get a 240 mm f 5.6 would make a good portrait lens. Probably Rodenstock or Nikkor.

How many portraits using 4x5 (210mm lens) have been made to this day?

How do you know a 240mm f5.6 Plasmat would make a "good" portrait lens?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I'm looking at buying my second lens I think I want to get a 240 mm f 5.6 would make a good portrait lens. Probably Rodenstock or Nikkor.

Historically photographers and sitters found soft focus lenses needed less facial repair

but 4X5 SF enlarges poorly

Many shoot portraits 8X10 and above to make contact prints on soft finish paper, such as Pearl

I prefer life size 11X14 film and X-Ray film

X-Ray is very much like 1895 film

Our oldest member shooting since the 30's also uses X-Ray as the film meets his needs

Cheaply

I dislike any touch up on DIGI, Paper, Film

Humidified darkrooms are very good

I watch old B&W movies and consider which lens is used on beautiful women and boxers
    Tin Can

The beauty and wonder of soft focus lenses on 8x10 contact prints are often not appreciated today. Combined with properly applied Hard lighting makes them special beyond their period and timeless results.

~IMO, they are and remain special in many ways..

Sorta-Focus lenses on sheet film does not enlarge well ... at all. ~~Now prepared for the veggie salad to be tossed this way by verbalizing this~~ ...

2x would be IMO, the max enlargement for a sheet of film made with a Sorta-Focus lens, once at 4x, the special qualities of these images dies.. They are just not the same...

Oh, BTW, vast majority of these vintage Sorta-Focus lenses are in Barrel and Big.. rendering the majority of view cameras unable to use them without significant contortions.. Which brings up Packard or Sinar shutters..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Historically photographers and sitters found soft focus lenses needed less facial repair

but 4X5 SF enlarges poorly

Many shoot portraits 8X10 and above and make contact prints on soft finish paper, such as Pearl

I prefer life size 11X14 film and the X-Ray film

X-Ray is very much like 1895 film

Our oldest member shooting since the 30's also uses X-Ray as the film meets his needs

Cheaply

I dislike any touch up on DIGI, Paper, Film

Humidified darkrooms are very good

I watch old B&W movies and consider which lens is used on beautiful women and boxers

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    How many portraits using 4x5 (210mm lens) have been made to this day?

How do you know a 240mm f5.6 Plasmat would make a "good" portrait lens?

Bernice
    I've taken none using my 210 lens but isn't a 240 mm closer to a standard portrait lens of about 90 mm then a 210 is?. Obviously the tighter I can get in the longer focal length is going to help me to make a tighter more close up photo without having to stick the whole camera in their face. I'm actually thinking now I should have got a 240 to start with instead of the 210 the 210 does not seem tight enough.