Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first camera has landed finally

my first camera has landed finally

Hi,

I've just received beautiful Sinar C. It looks awesome and works like a charm - every movement and adjustment like in swiss watch. Really fantastic machine. Looking forward for the first photo session and first developed sheets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	232670

Got one question. I'm considering to upgrade it into full P model, replacing front standard bearer. First question - is it worth it? What is the purpose to have super precise bearer at the back side and simpler and lighter on the other one? I found one for a good price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363983193455

I would buy it immediately, but that loosen frame mentioned in the description worries me a bit. Do you think it would be a problem to tighten?

Re: my first camera has landed finally

You're right, these are fine cameras, and any model Sinar is a very capable machine.
    I would get used to how the standards work before thinking of an upgrade to the front.

I used an F2 on the job for some years and never missed the "P" functionality. I now have a (much older) Sinar Norma for personal work. While it is a less sophisticated design, is still a fine performer (and no doubt other Norma owners will tell you that it is the best of all).

Enjoy your new camera!

Beautiful!
    --

Change over to the P front is more a sideways change than an "upgrade". Sinar is a modular camera system which can be built up as needed depending on needs.

Adding a P front standard to the collection of Sinar modules increases capability and choices. That spare front standard could be used to extend the camera, support a compendium lens shade, filter holder, macro table and much more. Add a Sinar F rear standard in place of the P rear standard with the F front standard makes a Sinar "F"..

The loose front frame could be due to the front frame set screw being loose or the frame mounting block screws being loose. If these screws are not loose, the problem could be in the base rotating assembly inside the front carrier. In all cases, the problem can be fixed.. This eBay listing notes, seller accepts returns. Knowing what the possible problems might be, if the problem is simply a loose screw, done, if the problem is more involved, the P front is simply returned to the seller. Lesson learned..

Name:	Sinar P front frame.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	232672

Appears this Sinar C is attached to a tripod via a quick release plate on _?_ tripod head. No need for the QR plate, use the sinar rail clamp as the camera release from the tripod head.. and if the tripod head is a ball head, change over to a Sinar Pan/Tilt head ideally or some variant of pan/tilt head. The camera system will be essentially un-controllable using a ball head.

Do add to this basic Sinar C/P/F with at lease one 6" or 12" extension, bag bellows and extra standard bellows. Get a Sinar filter holder and rods for a filter set up as needed. Sinar shutter allows using barrel lenses with ease and Sinar DB/DBM mounted lenses which are currently an absolute bargain.
    BTW, this appears to be the first generation Sinar P, no ground glass frame lifters or meter back..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by kal800 View Post
    Hi,

Got one question. I'm considering to upgrade it into full P model, replacing front standard bearer. First question - is it worth it? What is the purpose to have super precise bearer at the back side and simpler and lighter on the other one? I found one for a good price:

I would buy it immediately, but that loosen frame mentioned in the description worries me a bit. Do you think it would be a problem to tighten?

Got extensions, extra standard bellows, binoculars, rods for filters, lens shade:

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	232677

For rear standard - the closeup looks like this:

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	232678

Good to go..

That is a Sinar meter back with GG frame lifters, was added later.. The original Sinar P did not have this.

Time to burn film and get creative-expressive images done.
    Bernice

Hi,

I've just received beautiful Sinar C. It looks awesome and works like a charm - every movement and adjustment like in swiss watch. Really fantastic machine. Looking forward for the first photo session and first developed sheets.

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	232670

it looks nice.

@Bernice - you mean, I have the newer one? The lifters are there, but what about meter back?

Could someone explain what are those red, green and grey dot markings mean on the camera? Also - how should I use that slider on the focusing knob. It is related do DOF as I suppose and I guess that those dots are somehow related. I do not have manual for Sinar P, only commercial leaflet found somewhere on the web...

Yes, this is a "newer" Sinar ground glass back with the meter probe opening and lifters. This is not the ground glass back that was original to the original Sinar P. In to many ways, none of this is really relevant as the ground glass backs are interchangeable from Sinar Norma to Sinar P2, functionally identical, differences being features..

Take the time to read up on the Sinar system.
    https://ewaldvorberg.de/homepage/en/sinar-p2/

https://www.kennethleegallery.com/pd...em_katalog.pdf

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/rlSinarMisc.htm

Most important, the camera will not and can never produce creative/expressive images "for you", it will always be not much more than a tool as a means to the image goal. Identical applies to lenses.. Do take the time to read this previous post on camera movements:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ong-amp-Linhof

As for the color dots, they are related to film format size position reference markers.

Bernice

@Bernice - you mean, I have the newer one? The lifters are there, but what about meter back?