Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x7/13x18 daylight processing

5x7/13x18 daylight processing

Hello everyone

My new Woodyman 13x18 is on his way and I'm preparing to shoot with it soon.
    I don't have a light-tight room at home and tray processing is not an option for me. Till now I processed dozen and dozen of 4x5 in a 3-reels-Paterson with a MOD54 with great results and zero isue. I would love to process my 13x18 the same way, 4 sheets at a time, in the same tank.
    20thcenturycamera produced a reel for that but it is sold-out (discontinued ?) and I think it is outrageously expensive for a 3d printed piece of plastic...

I think I'll start with the Taco method , 2 sheets at a time, but I'm wondering what are the option for 5x7/13x18 daylight processing nowadays ?
    Since I already own 2,3 and 8-reels Paterson tanks I would prefer to use it instead of buying a completely new system... Not to mention Jobo Expert drum prices are absolutely crazy !

I'm OK to DIY if any solution exist, I can even 3d print... I already looked after it on Thingyverse but found only 2 sheets reel.
    On E-bay somebody is selling a homemade 3d printed 4 sheets reel for Paterson-3 but they are in Mexico (I'm in France) and it doesn't make sense to me to order from the other side of the planet something I could print at home...

How do you process ? Any advices ?
    Thanks !

Re: 5x7/13x18 daylight processing

Find 2" aka 50mm ID PVC pipe with caps

https://www.amazon.com/PVC-Pipe-Sch-...a-905736615782
    Tin Can

Bounet makes a 5x7 Paterson “B’s” insert. Not sure if it’s too expensive but just letting OP know it’s out there.

I use the Stearman Press SP-810 with two 13x18cm or 5x7" sheets at a time. It works well. I load it in a changing bag and then process in daylight.
    Last edited by cp_photo; 3-Oct-2022 at 14:22. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Find 2" aka 50mm ID PVC pipe with caps

https://www.amazon.com/PVC-Pipe-Sch-...a-905736615782
    That would also be my suggestion.

I even wrote a blog about this recently:
    https://tinker.koraks.nl/photography...or-sheet-film/

I used PVC drain elements augmented with tape, 3D-printed caps and whatnot, but there are many ways to skin a cat. The 3D printed stuff certainly isn't necessary. There's a liquid rubber kind of stuff that I haven't tried but that I think Tim Layton used on his tubes. It's a lot easier and quicker than my method. The basic premise remains the same, though.

You can load the film inside any changing bag, pour in developer, cap the tube and then do the rest of the processing in daylight. Yes, it's perfectly fine to unscrew the cap at the end of development in broad daylight, pour out the developer and pour in the stop. There won't be any fog unless you work very very slowly.

PS: keep in mind the PVC pipe is generally NOT light tight on its own. You need to add another layer of light proofing to prevent problems; see my blog for an example of what you might run into.

PPS: if you're mechanically inclined, you could upgrade the drainpipe solution with an end cap with a light trap, so the processing goes pretty much like any daylight tank. It's still on my to-do list, but with low priority. I see you've got a 3d printer as well, so you're all set for it provided you can come up with a good light trap design. Opaque black PETG prints easily, is pretty light proof if it's a couple of layers thick and is chemically resistant. I wouldn't bother with PLA in a photochemical environment.

Try and find a Paterson Orbital processor. It does two 5x7 sheets side by side or four 5x4 sheets at once.

Very economical on chemicals but sometimes hard to find.

Mike

I have a couple of 11x14 Unicolor Unidrum II's, and Uniroller. For over a decade I processed four 4x5s in the 8x10 Unicolor II 8x10 Print Drum. The 11x14 Drum will holds four sheets of 5x7, so we will see. Recently a bought a 3D printed four 5x7 reel, for the Paterson five reel tank, from a Guy in Mexico. I intend to test that as well.

The tubes look very promising too.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

B&W king tanks, similar to Nikkor 4x5 tank from decades ago..
    http://www.bw-king.com

Jobo expert drums work.. IMO, worth the cost. another "penny wise, pound foolish" thing..

Do consider the cost of film and all related beyond the cost of a single film processing item..
    Back in the E6 days, a single E6 lab bill can easily exceed the cost of a new Jobo expert drum.. That was during a time long ago and long gone now.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Jobo expert drums work.. IMO, worth the cost. another "penny wise, pound foolish" thing..
    Bernice
    I have to admit there is truth to this...especially if 5x7 is going to be a long adventure. If not for right now, keep an eye open for Expert Drums to appear for a decent price. I use a motor base to turn the drums (small cost and small footprint) I use both 3005 and 3006 for 5x7. Snag a 3005 -- that way you are ready for the eventual move to 8x10!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Decades ago, moving from 4x5 to 5x7 caused a film processing issue. Back then (circa 1980's) using a 4x5 Nikkor tank was ok enough, once into 5x7 the Nikkor tank was no longer possible. Tried various 5x7 sheet film processing ways, from tray to hangers to single sheet tubes and etc.. after wasting a pile-O-film and ALL that goes with wasting sheet film (lower cost and more avaialbe back then).. decided to get a Jobo expert drum after being given a semi dead Jobo ATL-1 (the automation parts were dead, converted it to a non-automated Jobo and still works good to this day). That Jobo expert drum cured the 5x7 sheet film processing problems good and done. During the era when film was well out of fashion, purchased a few more 5x7 Jobo expert drums as they were low cost back then..

No regrets as that Jobo became one of the better "investments" to process film. A simple roller base that fits and rolls with direction reversal works too. Negating the need for the Jobo processor. Key item is the Jobo expert drum.

If processing 5x7 film and other size sheet film happens not very often and not many sheets of film and none of the images made are of any importance, GOOD film processing might not be that importaint at all. Film processing becomes deadly serious once the film images become importaint to the image maker.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have to admit there is truth to this...especially if 5x7 is going to be a long adventure. If not for right now, keep an eye open for Expert Drums to appear for a decent price. I use a motor base to turn the drums (small cost and small footprint) I use both 3005 and 3006 for 5x7. Snag a 3005 -- that way you are ready for the eventual move to 8x10!