Thread: Beseler 45MXT with Zone VI cold head, info needed

Beseler 45MXT with Zone VI cold head, info needed

Hello to all,

I recently purchased a Beseler 45MXT with a Zone VI cold head (black housing) and stabilizer. Everything looks like it was not in use for 15 years at least but it was working since the last day it was dismissed (according to the seller).
    I have few questions which I hope someone could answer:

1) Do I have to expect issues from the light bulb and the stabilizer after years of inactivity?
    2) I have to buy a 220-120 transformer to supply the stabilizer (bulb supply and pre-heater) and the rise/fall motor for the enlarger; I couldn't find and indication of the maximum consumption of both in the labels, nor on the net. Do you know the data for them (watt or max current).
    3) the cold head housing state that a three wires cable must be used, meaning that the ground must be present and connected. I wonder if the grounding is need for a proper functionality of the system or if it is only for safety purpose.

Thank you

Roberto from Italy
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Re: Beseler 45MXT with Zone VI cold head, info needed

1) I had the original (silver) cold light head for Beseler 45MX and Zone VI Stabilizer in storage for, at least, 15 years and both worked fine when I last used them. Nowadays I have an Aristo VC cold light head on my enlarger.

2) Without digging through some folders that I haven't been into for going on 40 years I couldn't tell you the power draw of the light head, but I do remember that the wattage draw is a consideration when selecting a timer. I'm sure if you dig around the 'net a bit you'll get the info you need.

3) The ground is probably only for safety. I never gave it any thought. I plugged everything into my household power outlets which, I assume, are all properly grounded via the home wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    Hello to all,

I recently purchased a Beseler 45MXT with a Zone VI cold head (black housing) and stabilizer. Everything looks like it was not in use for 15 years at least but it was working since the last day it was dismissed (according to the seller).
    I have few questions which I hope someone could answer:

1) Do I have to expect issues from the light bulb and the stabilizer after years of inactivity?
    2) I have to buy a 220-120 transformer to supply the stabilizer (bulb supply and pre-heater) and the rise/fall motor for the enlarger; I couldn't find and indication of the maximum consumption of both in the labels, nor on the net. Do you know the data for them (watt or max current).
    3) the cold head housing state that a three wires cable must be used, meaning that the ground must be present and connected. I wonder if the grounding is need for a proper functionality of the system or if it is only for safety purpose.

Thank you

Roberto from Italy
    I have a Zone VI variable contrast (2 tube) head on 3 different enlargers, 8x10 and 5x7 Zone enlargers, and a 4x5 unit for a Beseler enlarger. My equipment was 10 plus years old when I got it it works fine.
    You definitely want the enlarger grounded, you should find an electrician. One thing I did years ago was to run a separate ground wire from the chassis directly to a electrical ground at the electric panel. It used to be common to ground things like television antennas to an iron water pipe, not ideal.

Roberto,

Unless things have been broken during storage, the cold-light head should work fine; there's nothing with the bulb that long-term storage should damage. However, if you need a new bulb, I believe replacements are still available from Aristo.

Grounding should not be a problem. European standard plugs/outlets are all three-prong and are grounded through the house wiring. All you need is the proper adapter. Power consumption should also not be an issue; all my motorized enlargers and my old Zone VI stabilizer, etc. worked just fine on a standard U.S. 15-amp circuit.

As for power conversion. Be aware that European power is 50Hz while U.S. standard is 60Hz. I don't think that will cause a problem with the bulb, but it may affect the stabilizer; you'll just have to try and see.

Best,

Doremus

I believe the Aristo company has been gone for quite awhile, but replacement lamps are available from:

https://www.light-sources.com/soluti...acement-lamps/

Or, they might be able to direct you to another supplier if they don't stock what you need.

Eric Woodbury

Timers are a consideration with coldlights as there can be some fly-back from the transformer when you turn it off. This can blow a solid state relay if not protected. A mechanical relay has no problem.

A 12x12 coldlight is about 200W I think. The round 4x5 models are about 75W.

50 or 60 cycles shouldn't matter. This is a transformer issue, but most are wound for both.

Ground wire is for your protection. If for example, if a 'hot wire' were to touch a piece of metal somewhere that was grounded, then that metal and all connected metal would be electrified. Touch it and you'd get a shock. With a ground wire, then the all the metal chassis is zero volts. If the hot wire touches it, the GFI or circuit breaker will shut down the dangerous condition.

If the third wire in a cord is a problem or not connected for some reason, an external wire of appropriate size can be wired to the enlarger chassis, et al, and then connected to earth, usually the outlet cover plate screw. This technique is only for cases when nothing else works because somebody will come along and discard or disconnect.

Be safe.

Thank you,

I should be safe with a transformers rated for 300W I guess (light bulb + stabilizer trafo + heater + timer + height adjustment motor).

I have a Zone VI cold light head and stabilizer, I'll scan my copy of the instructions and post them later today.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

the light bulb may taje a few minutes to glow full brightnrss since it hasnt been used in a long time. after that it shouldnt take long to warm up with the pre heater. its like those cfls the first time powered up...

replacement bulbs...
    https://www.light-sources.com/soluti...acement-lamps/