Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 125VX Tripod foot clamp and quick release

Toyo 125VX Tripod foot clamp and quick release

Riddle me this... What does the foot on the bottom of the Toyo 125VX slide into? It is wider than Arca sized, and thinner than Manfrotto/ARRI cinema sized.

Some photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.36.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	232457

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.32.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	232458

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.33.12 PM.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	232459

One Ebay seller had a Stroboframe made quick release on a camera sold from Japan...

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.39.40 PM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	232460

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.38.55 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	232461

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.39.21 PM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	232462

Any insight would be helpful.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Re: Toyo 125VX Tripod foot clamp and quick release

So far as I can tell from the VX125 documentation I have, the fit is to a QR shoe supplied with the camera. The shoe has a 1/4"-20 hole for mounting on standard tripod heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    So far as I can tell from the VX125 documentation I have, the fit is to a QR shoe supplied with the camera. The shoe has a 1/4"-20 hole for mounting on standard tripod heads.
    Yep. So far as I can tell from those old manuals and brochures Toyo did have a Quick Release, but I have not been able to find any details or find a photo of one that was not in a Toyo publication. I was hoping there was another camera with a similar shoe. I can't imagine Stroboframe manufactured a quick release for the VX125 alone... do you suppose it's Hasselblad sized? I sold my Hassy's so I don't have one to measure. The Toyo VX 125 foot is 43mm wide by 72 long.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

The foot fits this without any adapters https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...full_size.html

Small town, South Carolina, US

Stroboframe used to sell a Auto Quick Release clamp system "QRC" for use on tripods etc. I found it shown in an old B&H catalog from 1998. That was the system used by your Toyo.

Maybe the RRS ball head will open enough to fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    The foot fits this without any adapters https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...full_size.html
    Sergey, do you have one? I do not have an Arca-sized QR head that will open that far. I have several Arca type quick release accessories and they are all significantly narrower than the foot on the Toyo unless you have the Toyo foot modified by a machinist. My Arca feet are about 37mm and the widest my Arca Pick releases go is 41mm.
    `

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    Stroboframe used to sell a Auto Quick Release clamp system "QRC" for use on tripods etc. I found it shown in an old B&H catalog from 1998. That was the system used by your Toyo.
    Thanks for reminding me of my old B&H sourcebook. I saw the quick release on the stroboframe page (464) and then looked at the Gitzo page (435) and there is a Gitzo Quick release (#G385-14 and #385-38) that appear to have a 76mm X 44mm plate. And the G1285 Quick release adapter may also be close with a 50mm x 46mm plate. Perhaps this was a more prevalent size before the Arca-Swiss size began to be used more universally in past years.

Now to find one...
    `

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Sergey, do you have one?
    Yes, that's what I use the 125VX with on my large tripod. BTW, the BH site depicts what appears to be a newer style of the BH-55 ballhead compared to what I have. But I hope that they did not reduce the size of opening. Also, you may consider just this as a starter https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/b2-pro-ii. If it does not work, see if you can return it for a refund.

Stephen,

A Saunders Quick Release fits the Toyo VX125. I may have one.

Kumar