Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Bellow vs Black Bellow

Question Red Bellow vs Black Bellow

Hello guys,

I need to get a new bellow for my Century No. 2 8x10 camera. My company color is red and I also like the color a lot. So I am looking to get a red bellow for my camera.
    I am just curious if there are some pros/cons for red/black. The only thing I can think of is that red might reflect light to my subject in some kind of situation. But I shoot wet plate only, so a red reflection would not be any issue.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Markus

Re: Red Bellow vs Black Bellow

I would think either works, as long as the bellow's insides are black. I couldn't believe it, Wisner actually produced a bag bellows that was maroon on the inside. That sure wasn't typical of the outstanding build quality for which his cameras and accessories were known.

I can see a possible advantage to red bellows, in that they would be less likely be to absorb heat.

There've been multiple companies that offered cameras with red bellows. Burke and James, of course Wisner, and Calumet being three examples.

Niels

Red attracts more attention in the wild - "more" is relative - of course. Not as if large format cameras were ever inconspicuous.
    In the studio it probably doesn't matter.
    Last edited by nitroplait; 3-Nov-2022 at 01:54.
    ----
    Niels

If you go with a red bellows, don't photograph near any bulls...

I ordered a Red Bellows 8X10 MK3 Intrepid

waiting
    Tin Can

Some premium cameras of yesteryear featured red bellows to stand out from the other line models... Maybe made with deluxe materials... Technically, color should not matter, but taste of the user or maybe historical accuracy...

Steve K

Personally, I think a red bellows looks great! Maybe I'll paint my on the 1417...

I've got a red bellows (black inside) on my 8x10 Eastman View 2D. Looks really nice with the wood finish and brass hardware.
    I'm not aware of any practical differences between red and black, but angry bulls could definitely be one to consider!

Once upon a time, had a 5x7 Wisner Technical Field with "red" kid glove leather bellows. Worked Good and that shade of red added to the visual appeal of the varnished wood body.. That Wisner had a surprising amount of bellows and camera draw, but was Men for wide angle lenses..

Red or black bellows is much an esthetic choice not a functional choice.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Do you take pictures in big pastures with bulls looking on? That is the only distinct con I can think of. Otherwise, you have no aspirations to be a matador waving a red darkcloth too, the red choice shouldn't be a significant concern. Some insects are attracted to red, and can be a minor nuisance swarming around your camera. But other annoying insects are attracted to black, so it's a tossup.