Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - 4x5 Negative Developing Issue - Looking for Ideas

Re: Help - 4x5 Negative Developing Issue - Looking for Ideas

As Koraks suggested, it might be an agitation problem, i.e., surge pattern or bromide drag. Tray processing sheet film solved a similar problem for me. I don’t mind being in total darkness shuffling film sheets in a tray, but many people don’t like doing that.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by tacomaken View Post
    Hello -
    I am struggling to understand what might be going on with my developing, and am looking for suggestions on what I should be looking for to solve the issue. The image was taken using Fomapan 100 classic. This image was using a Crown Graphic with a 150mm 6.3 lens at f/32 for 1/15 second.

Developed with Cinestill DF96 monobath at the recommended 80 degrees F. The developer is unexpired and had just 3 35mm rolls and 2 4x5 sheeds developed in it previously. It has been open about 2 weeks and kept at room temperature. I developed using a Patterson tank with MOD54 sheet holder and developed six sheets. Same issue on each sheet. I pre-rinsed with 80-degree F tap water until the water ran clear, then developed for 4 minutes 15 seconds, rinsed for 10 minutes. I then did a final rinse with photo flow (about 3 drops per 2 Liters of 80-degree water. I used tap water that is not considered hard water (Tacoma area water from local river watershed). This has also happened in a Stearman tank.

Thank you for your ideas.
    Attachment 232302.
    it seems the people that make cinestill have a great help section and an email address, it might be worth emailing them directly, and including the image and ask what they think went wrong with your film
    .. https://cinestillfilm.com/

I have never used the Monobath but have seen that result myself when using a fix that was exhausted.

Keith

I agree with Keith - it could be the fixer. What does the surface of the negative look like? is there any clouding? Is there any chance of a light leak from the holder not seating or the bellows or camera?

Never had a problem developing my Fomapan 100. I'm not a big developer switcher and only use HC110. It's been fine pre rinsing or not pre rinsing.

Late Adopter

I've used the Ars Imago Monobath on 120 and 35mm and had good results. They were my first films and the instructions were easy to follow and they just worked.

I'm now trying other developers and types of development and reading a lot to figure out where there might be consensus of approach on different films.

Perhaps semi-stand development using 510 Pyro is worth a go or something more standard like ID11 which I have read (not tried) can offer reasonable times at stock ratio (not the long times like a pyro).

Anyway, there are lots more experienced and talented darkroom folks on here than me so I am sure there will be plenty of suggestions. Good luck.

In this day and age is a Monobath even useful? It's not like anyone is in a hurry needed to get their negatives developed before the Newspaper goes to print. Even in limited situations like developing in a hotel room, camper van etc B&W development is not that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Give up the monolith developer, use a traditional developer with a development time of no less than 6-7 minutes..
    Development tank used and agitation are other factors..

Why f32 as the exposure aperture?

Bernice
    His tank and holder are fine, I use the same without issue.

It gave a sort of Van Gogh texture. I would try going in two ways: How to get rid of it and also how to enhance it :-)

You can't go wrong with D76. Start off simple. Gentle constant agitation in a tray.

My first thought was the same as Benice's -- why f:32?