Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys Jan/Feb 2024

Florida Keys Jan/Feb 2024

I plan to do a road trip down across the Florida Keys mid to late January for between 1 - 2 weeks.

Any suggestions from fellow travelers regarding places to see, most useful focal lengths and favorite emulsions? I like to shoot landscapes/cityscapes, candids/portraits, wildlife when I’m prepared for it.

I plan on taking my medium format kit for portability and maneuverability. Rollei 6000 series.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Re: Florida Keys Jan/Feb 2024

These 3, cityscapes, candids/portraits, wildlife, can all be accomplished on Duval street in Key West.

Stop off in the Everglades and take an air boat ride.

For landscapes and wildlife photography, you definitely need to visit the Everglades. Some fishing guides out of Flamingo and the Keys also do wildlife tours for bird watchers.

Indeed, Flamingo is an excellent area.
    Only a joke earlier about Duval and Key West, Mostly a congested wasteland down there, particularly in winter. The smaller less populous keys may serve you better.

A daytrip to take the ferry tour to Dry Tortugas National Park. It's roughly a 2.5-3hr boat ride each way with about 5 hours spent on the island.

https://www.drytortugas.com/

Thanks for many great suggestions, I will look into all of them as I plan.

Any thoughts on emulsions (Provia? Velvia? Ektachrome? Portra? Ektar?). Wondering just generally is it more of a pastel, soft kind of light and atmosphere, or more vibrant and saturated? I always have a handful of APX100 and TRI-X with me for the B&W shots.

I have lenses from 40mm to 300mm. Want to stay hand-held, so the 300 will have to stay home, but can bring anything between 40 - 150mm plus a 1.4x teleconverter. Wondering what focal lengths people have found most useful? I almost invariably take along the 90mm Macro so I can go close, and it's so close to the 80mm normal, the question is how wide on the wide end (40mm or 60mm) and how tele on the tele end (150mm or more).

I'll probably just bring along the 40/90/150 and make the most of what I have, unless anyone has any specific suggestions based on the terrain and how near/far one can get to potential shots.

Someone mentioned Islamorada is also well worth a visit, will add that to my list.

You pretty much have no choice but see them all, there is only one way down.

Pennekamp Park is the first US National Underwater Preserve. If you scuba or snorkel, it's in Key Largo on your way.
    https://www.visitflorida.com/listing...Park%20-%20EXT

Also in Key Largo is the African Queen boat from the Humprey Bogart movie of the same name. They refurbished it and it now does trips for visitors.
    https://www.floridarambler.com/flori...an-queen-boat/

There's a bunch of little parks and fishing areas on the smaller keys as you drive down US1, many of which have access to beaches, mangroves, etc.

I liked Fort Zachary Taylor a lot on Key West.

My wife and I took the trip out to Dry Tortuga but realize you're only there during the middle part of the day. Lighting was not great when I was there, and it was summer so HOT. Maybe you'll have better luck in winter.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome