Thread: Kodak Series VIII adapter does not work on !2 in Commecial Ektar / question

Kodak Series VIII adapter does not work on !2 in Commecial Ektar / question

I purchased a series VIII adapter to use series filters but is is too large.
    I looked it up from previous posts & old literature & this is the adapter specified for
    the 12 inch commercial ektar.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Thanks

Re: Kodak Series VIII adapter does not work on !2 in Commecial Ektar / question

Pictures would help, both of your lens and the adapter. The adapter has a specific mounting size, either screw in or push on. The adapter is the holder for the series 8 filters, the adapters come in dozens of thread sizes. Some lenses require a special non standard thread size. Lenses that don't have a filter mounting thread must use the push on type of adapter---still series 8 filter size. Take a look at this post https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ch-filter-size, it should help.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

See page 62 for correct size adapter:

https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...fs/kodak_4.pdf

Also, the tabs on the adapter can be gently bent plus/minus about 1 mm to fit.

Give up on the idea-belief of using a threaded on filter adapter on Kodak Ektar and countless other vintage lenses as they are often made no to non-standard or no front lens cell filter threads...

If a "push on" series filter adapter is used on a Kodak Ektar front lens cell, it will gouge the _!_!_!_!_ out of the lens cell as the body is made of aluminum, typical push on series filter adapter is made of brass. No contest as to which material will do the gouging..

IMO, the best and FAR more ideal filter solution is to use a camera mounted filter system using square filters. Chose a square filter size that will work with ALL lenses in the collection. The most common size is 100mm square which can be had in nearly every filter type needed for foto images...

IMO, the threaded in filter thing comes from hand held cameras where they are most common way to attach a filter to any given lens. This is not the ideal or workable filter solution for vintage LF lenses used with a view camera..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I purchased a series VIII adapter to use series filters but is is too large.
    I looked it up from previous posts & old literature & this is the adapter specified for
    the 12 inch commercial ektar.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Thanks

Hi Bernice,

That's a good suggestion.

I have a Lee square filter holder with a rubber band that snugs on the barrel - with one 100 x150 grad for it.
    I find it a bit fiddly to use with the rubber band.
    I have a set of 67mm filters so the adapter would have been ideal.
    I checked the threads on the adapter I have they are apparently 58mm unfortunately.

For now I go back to just holding a filter in front when required.

Thanks!

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Give up on the idea-belief of using a threaded on filter adapter on Kodak Ektar and countless other vintage lenses as they are often made no to non-standard or no front lens cell filter threads...

If a "push on" series filter adapter is used on a Kodak Ektar front lens cell, it will gouge the _!_!_!_!_ out of the lens cell as the body is made of aluminum, typical push on series filter adapter is made of brass. No contest as to which material will do the gouging..

IMO, the best and FAR more ideal filter solution is to use a camera mounted filter system using square filters. Chose a square filter size that will work with ALL lenses in the collection. The most common size is 100mm square which can be had in nearly every filter type needed for foto images...

IMO, the threaded in filter thing comes from hand held cameras where they are most common way to attach a filter to any given lens. This is not the ideal or workable filter solution for vintage LF lenses used with a view camera..

Bernice

On the Linhof TK23s,

Made up a 100x100mm aka 4"x4" square filter holder that fits on the cold shoe. This method of filters is a non-option due to the variety of lenses used on the TK23s, they range from 38mm Super Angulon XL to Imagon, Kodak Ektar and...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof TK23s, Kodak series 9, 4x4 filter .jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	232164

The cold shoe filter holder block also works with the Sinar filter holder.

Name:	Linhof TK23s, Sinar FH.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	232165

Name:	Linhof TK23s, sinar filter holder.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	232166

Second project is to incorporate a 100x100mm square filter holder into the Linhof compendium lens shade to gain a compendium lens shade with multi filter capability. This is no different than what the Cinema folks have been using for decades as they have been using 150mm/6" square drop in filters on a Matt Box for decades..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Hi Bernice,

That's a good suggestion.

I have a Lee square filter holder with a rubber band that snugs on the barrel - with one 100 x150 grad for it.
    I find it a bit fiddly to use with the rubber band.
    I have a set of 67mm filters so the adapter would have been ideal.
    I checked the threads on the adapter I have they are apparently 58mm unfortunately.

For now I go back to just holding a filter in front when required.

Thanks!

Serge

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Bernice, my experience with slip-on series filters seems quite different than yours. I use them on 6 different lenses, in various sizes. All of my adapters are aluminum. Most are Kodak adapters. When adjusted correctly they do not scratch unless twisted. Who makes the brass adapters? I imagine those to be less adjustable than aluminum but might be higher quality and worth considering.

I second that

I was given a huge box of Series Hoods

I use them gently

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Bernice, my experience with slip-on series filters seems quite different than yours. I use them on 6 different lenses, in various sizes. All of my adapters are aluminum. Most are Kodak adapters. When adjusted correctly they do not scratch unless twisted. Who makes the brass adapters? I imagine those to be less adjustable than aluminum but might be higher quality and worth considering.
    Tin Can

Been so long ago since trying/using these slip on series filter adapters, no longer remember who made then, they were US made.. Brass being harder/stiffer than the aluminum used for these slip on adapters are likely going to be kinder to the aluminum lens cell barrels than brass and would be easier to adjust as needed. Recently gave away the residual pile of series filters and holders and...

Difficulty with series filters these days, availability. Back in the day, series filters were Very common. Still have and use a set of series 9 Tiffen B&W contrast filters, ND and polarizer that are used to this day with various series 9 adapters.. They continue to work as they should.

Second difficulty comes with stacking filters and higher density ND filters. The series 9 Tiffen ND here goes to 3 f-stops, not sure if denser ND filters in series 9 were made..

What is liked with the 100mm or 4" square filter holder on camera system today, variety of filters available and the ability to stack three with one or more threaded filter if needed. This allows using a ND, polarizer, B&W contrast as or if ever needed. Sliding in the filters is easier to deal with than mounting a thread on series 9 or similar threaded filter. Dropping one of these optical resin plastic filters is often ok, dropping a series # glass filter or threaded on glass filter is often the end of that filter.. Been there, done this.. Meh..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post