Thread: reducing back Kodak Master 8x10

reducing back Kodak Master 8x10

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a reducing back 5x7 for my Kodak Master 8x10. I am living in France and it seems impossible to find one here. I spotted one in the UK but apparently he got lost .
    Hoping someone here can help me.

A very big thank you!

Re: reducing back Kodak Master 8x10

It's not particularly difficult to make a reducing back, especially when you have a lot of sites today that will CNC cut for you. I did exactly this to make a 5x7 Deardorff reducing back- got a CNC site to cut a piece of plywood that would fit the camera including the rabbets on the sides and a 5x7 hole in the center where the 5x7 back would sit. Then mounted a cheap 5x7 B&J Back on the plywood where the 5x7 hole was. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    It's not particularly difficult to make a reducing back, especially when you have a lot of sites today that will CNC cut for you. I did exactly this to make a 5x7 Deardorff reducing back- got a CNC site to cut a piece of plywood that would fit the camera including the rabbets on the sides and a 5x7 hole in the center where the 5x7 back would sit. Then mounted a cheap 5x7 B&J Back on the plywood where the 5x7 hole was. Simple as that.
    Thanks for your answer. Was thinking about the same solution but finding a 5x7 back without camera seems to be quite hard here. Not sure how to find a cheap one. Besides it would be nice to have the original reducing back. But modifying a cheap 5x7 back would suit me. Maybe you could tell me where you found yours? Thank you very much!

5x7 backs do come up on Ebay. Pretty sure I got mine off a Burke and James sliding back assembly, the 5x7 back just came right off the sliding assembly easily. B&Js are probably not as common in France as in the USA though.

Another possibility is using an 8x10 -> 5x7 back made for another camera, but you need to get exact measurements and make sure it fits, or have a plan to modify it- but that can definitely work too.

I had the same problem of finding an original 5x7 back for my 8x10 Kodak Master Camera.

Turns out a Calumet C1 (green Monster) 8x10 to 5x7 back will just about bolt right on. You will need to drill out and tap 4 holes on the camera body to accept the screws that come on the C1 5x7 back, but its only a slight enlargement. Also the screws that come on the back will need to be machined to allow the screw shaft to be aprox 1/8" (3mm) longer. Any competent machinist should be able to do this for you.

If weight is a concern Look for a green painted back vs a black one. They made them in both magnesium and aluminum and while a few of the late model green ones are Aluminum....All of the black ones are Aluminum and are quite a bit heavier than the green Magnesium... (1441gm vs 925gm) they turn up on ebay once every couple months..

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by swarz View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a reducing back 5x7 for my Kodak Master 8x10. I am living in France and it seems impossible to find one here. I spotted one in the UK but apparently he got lost .
    Hoping someone here can help me.

A very big thank you!
    Was it this one that got lost or another?
    It says 8x10 to 4x5 but it looks a bit on the big side to me? You could contact them. And it could be the start of a project?
    https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...-reducing-back

Maybe start befriending some 3D printer guys? So many people making 3D bodies and and fun stuff. Maybe you can find a cheaper 8x10->5x7 back and then have a 3D guy add/delete/modify something to make it fit? I don't know, Just a lot of coffee talking right now. I also have a KVM 8x10 and parts aren't easy to find on them.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
    Was it this one that got lost or another?
    It says 8x10 to 4x5 but it looks a bit on the big side to me? You could contact them. And it could be the start of a project?
    https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...-reducing-back
    Yes this was the one indeed. They found it in the meanwhile but it seems to be a 4x5. It must be from another kind of view camera because the Kodak Master View 8x10 only has a 5x7 reducing back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerostigmat View Post
    I had the same problem of finding an original 5x7 back for my 8x10 Kodak Master Camera.

Turns out a Calumet C1 (green Monster) 8x10 to 5x7 back will just about bolt right on. You will need to drill out and tap 4 holes on the camera body to accept the screws that come on the C1 5x7 back, but its only a slight enlargement. Also the screws that come on the back will need to be machined to allow the screw shaft to be aprox 1/8" (3mm) longer. Any competent machinist should be able to do this for you.

If weight is a concern Look for a green painted back vs a black one. They made them in both magnesium and aluminum and while a few of the late model green ones are Aluminum....All of the black ones are Aluminum and are quite a bit heavier than the green Magnesium... (1441gm vs 925gm) they turn up on ebay once every couple months..

Hope this helps
    Thank you for your message. I will look into that. I prefer not to drill into the camera body. I would rather try to modify an existing back to adapt to the camera.

Sure no problem... I understand completely, It made me nervous doing it... Just an option..