Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from Arizona, USA

Howdy from Arizona, USA

Hello All,

Amateur/Hobbyist/Dabbler photog here - been all digital in recent years, but thanks to Ansel Adams I've always been fascinated by large format photography. (I suppose that's about as horribly vanilla and unsurprising as one can get in a large format photography forum, but it's true nonetheless.) Last week in a fit of masochism I ordered a new Intrepid 4x5. Came across this forum while searching the internet for information on what I'd just gotten myself into. This place is an absolutely amazing resource, as you all know. Currently trying to learn enough about LF lenses (and lenses in general) to actually buy a reasonable starter lens so I can actually _use_ my camera once it shows up. The rest of the processes surrounding Large Format are genuinely interesting, happily. Looking forward to the journey!

- John

Re: Howdy from Arizona, USA

Welcome;

Check out the Fuji, Nikon, Schneider options for lens/shutters. After a month you can get classified access here, but there are plenty of places to buy lenses.

What's the OTS in your name? Open Two Seater?

Welcome, this is a great forum

loujon

Welcome to the club!

Look forward to your contributions Johnny and this is worth taking the time to read through The LF Home Page. For the most part all of your questions could/may be answered after reading through this section & it should get you on good footing. https://www.largeformatphotography.info/ It may be that you already checked it out but if not I suggest you start there & we'll be seeing you around. Peace

Welcome to the FORUM. You'll find out quickly that LF photography means different things to different people here -- but that is the same with other formats as well. So try to take everything said as opinions, not gospel "truth".

You asked about a starter lens. I don't need to add my two cents to that. You'll get a million responses in no time -- every one probably as good as the other opinion.

If you ever want to check out FUJINON's LF lenses, I've put a list together that many people find useful. FYI, FUJINON LF lenses are NOT the only ones I use.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

@jp - the OTS is short for on the Spot, as in "Johnny on the Spot". Back when I first had to start making up a label for forums and the like it was the best I could come up with, and is a fine example of why I keep saying my tombstone should read, "It seemed like a good idea at the time"

@ the other folks - Thank you for the suggestions, I've been working my way through the intro articles and ordered a few of the recommended books, as well as perusing other web sources - it's all good stuff. Regarding a starter lens, I know there isn't any one perfect lens - for me it's going to be more about finding something that will allow me to get started with the format, ideally without paying more than the cost of the camera. *Sigh* It's all further complicated by my varied subject interests. In my younger years I wandered through downtown Phoenix on my lunch breaks taking photographs of interesting buildings (get something in 90mm for architecture then?), but I also took pictures of plants and the scenery (hmmm...maybe something in the 125 - 135mm range for landscapes), but then again I have a mountain of pictures of people in my martial arts group (maybe a 240mm for portraits?)

So, yeah. Part of the struggle is picking something that will allow me to at least explore my rather eclectic range of favorite subjects. Maybe in the 150mm range. Then perhaps I could do everything badly.

Welcome to the forum! A lot of great folks hang out here. For a starter lens, I don't think you could go wrong with a 150mm (50mm equivalent in 35mm terms). Even the great Ansel made many of his famous images with a normal focal length lens.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Welcome to the LFPF. I hope your LF journey is most satisfying.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyOTS View Post
    Hello All,

Amateur/Hobbyist/Dabbler photog here - been all digital in recent years, but thanks to Ansel Adams I've always been fascinated by large format photography. (I suppose that's about as horribly vanilla and unsurprising as one can get in a large format photography forum, but it's true nonetheless.) Last week in a fit of masochism I ordered a new Intrepid 4x5. Came across this forum while searching the internet for information on what I'd just gotten myself into. This place is an absolutely amazing resource, as you all know. Currently trying to learn enough about LF lenses (and lenses in general) to actually buy a reasonable starter lens so I can actually _use_ my camera once it shows up. The rest of the processes surrounding Large Format are genuinely interesting, happily. Looking forward to the journey!

- John
    Welcome,
    Intrepid was a good choice...and you are in a land great beauty to use it.

There is never a reason to applogize for being influenced by Ansel Adams. So many of us here for that same reason. He is an enduring talent and influence. We might go in different directions but he is still universally respected.