Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 Mk III - Post your thoughts on design.

Re: Intrepid 8x10 Mk III - Post your thoughts on design.

In addressing your "slippery" front standard issue...I would not use sandpaper. A piece of automotive gasket cork (the "cork-rubber matrix" type), contact-cemented to the underside of the front standard, can provide perfect "slip/grip" properties to help alleviate your issue.

Also...for a quick and effective solution to the bellows-sag issue - first rack the bellows out as far as the focussing mechanism will allow, then reel this back until the bellows reaches is maximum sag point, at which time you can experiment by gently grabbing the tops of various bellows pleats and drawing them forward to the front standard to see which pleat affords the best overall "anti-sag" property.

You can then glue (contact cement) a strip of material (fabric) to the backside of that same top pleat - and then when dry pull this strip forward to ascertain a good location at the front of this strip on which to glue/sew a "D" ring, which itself can then, when needed to help alleviate sag - be clipped over a round-headed, threaded screw affixed to the middle of the top of the front standard.

I love to tinker

I have fixed many LF Camera

I am sure I can fine tune my MK3

Many old camera bellows have hooks to hold a bellows UP

Easy peasy
    Tin Can

I have the first iteration of the 8x10 Intrepid, and the bellows sag enough to intrude into the image area even when using a 12” lens at a few inches of extension. The material used for the bellows is too flaccid, imo

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Intrepid offers an adapter Sinar-Linhof themselves, so what you show here about that 3D printed one is just the result of your own sidestep.
    Intrepid may have redesigned this adapter since I bought mine a couple of years ago, but beware that the bottom molded-in "clips" that hold the bottom of a Technika style board barely, and I mean b-a-r-e-l-y protrude over the smaller lensboard. Personally, I'd be very nervous pointing the front of the camera down at something or carrying the camera over my shoulder with a big, heavy plasmat hanging off the front. I use small Fuji A and C series lenses on my Mk II and I still put a piece of gaffer's tape along the bottom edge because I just don't trust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post

*I purchased a 3D printed Sinar to Linhof adapter from a Canadian Seller on eBay. This is very high quality.
    Could you share the seller's name?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Couple of good tips and checks to make, I just ordered a 8x10 Mk3 to replace my 8kg Burke and James 8x10. Intrepid now sell the Linhof to Intrepid adaptor now so got one of them as all my lens are on Linhof boards.
    Cheers Shane

I contact cemented a piece of epdm rubber to the bottom of the front standard. I filed some finger holds to remove the back.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Customized!

I always tinker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I contact cemented a piece of epdm rubber to the bottom of the front standard. I filed some finger holds to remove the back.
    Tin Can

I just received mine last week and I find it not too fiddle, but can note a couple of things as well.

Videos by early reviewers indicated that it came with a fresnel - which mine did not. Lachlan is spot on about removing the back - it is very difficult given the strength of the magnets - also be careful with the locking wheels/tabs, it is not readily apparent whether they are open or locked and I bent one trying to remove it when locked. I doubt they are needed, however. I found that a generic sinar style board was too thin to properly mount, but I fixed that by taping small strips of a credit card to the out side of the board where the latches are located. I had trouble seeing the alignment notches for the front rise so I taped it off and filled them with Wite-out - I’ll replace that with white or fluorescent paint when I have a chance.

I have only shot a few sheets - and realized I need that fresnel so I ordered it, I also have a pinhole and the adapter board coming soon. The shot below shows how I screwed my composition at the left edge due to the dim combination of my F9 G-Claron and the GG fall-off, while walking around on loose creek stones at dusk!

BTW, I bought just before they put up the new Website and significant price increase - so I think I got a good deal on my new "Green Monster".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	824E7C1E-1A2E-47ED-80DB-3638DB3D20EE.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	232703

Also - here is my second shot playing with a one light self-portrait. I think I got lucky with my stand-in focus dummy ! ( Note my intent was to only show half my face - it wasn’t a composition problem! "Something about the duality of man, the Jungian thing")

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C1701B3-CFF5-4F11-87E0-4B48CC3853DC.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	232704

On November 9th I received an email from Intrepid announcing a remake of their web site, and included in that email was this line: "To celebrate the launch of the new website we are offering 10% off your next order - DISCOUNT CODE: NEW10". I don't know if this applies to anyone, or just those on their mailing list.

The fresnel is not included in any of the cameras, you have to purchase that separately as an add-on.

I already have the first iteration of the Intrepid 8x10, but I ordered the new version a week ago. As soon as the new one arrives, I will be offering my MK1 8x10 for sale (probably in the vicinity of $250 USD plus shipping). Its in fine shape and has not failed me in any way. I'll announce it when I have received my new camera.