Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on how to assess condition of Sinar X

Re: Question on how to assess condition of Sinar X

Or why Sinar for so many decades...

Modularity = Capability limited by creativity.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Like the glass stage platform

Yea, great idea…I can try that too. Will try and figure out a way to mount my digital camera (Fuji GFX) to the P standard. Actually the X I bought comes with a P rear standard as well, but the switch to change from swing to tilt is broken, stuck on tilt I think. I can probably try that as the standard to permanently mount the GFX quick release.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Sinar made a camera adapter for the P rear standard to attach cameras and etc to the rear P standard. Note the plate at the bottom of the DSLR.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon 1Ds Sinar P2, rear.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	233244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon 1Ds, Sinar P2 side.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	233245

If a custom bellows was made to fit the digital camera lens mount to the Sinar front standard, the results would be a digital "view camera"...
    Similar in function to the current Cambo ACTUS.
    https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/

The official Sinar version would be the P3 which is designed to be used with digital imager backs.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    Yea, great idea…I can try that too. Will try and figure out a way to mount my digital camera (Fuji GFX) to the P standard. Actually the X I bought comes with a P rear standard as well, but the switch to change from swing to tilt is broken, stuck on tilt I think. I can probably try that as the standard to permanently mount the GFX quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Sinar, far more than a camera..
    Been there, done similar...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8ozo1ubfc Bernice
    I have used a relatively same setup off and on since the mid 1970s. Back when, initially with Norma standards. IMO: Works best with a 120 camera - Hasselblad and Bronica GS-1 specifically. I found it to be a little less workable with 35mm/DX cameras. The Novoflex brand light stands are not inexpensive to say the least. Instead I adapted six articulating arms and light sources from a Bogen Light Modulator mounting them on moveable bases. Maybe 10-15 years ago I converted their tungsten bulbs to Nikon fiber optic light sources (for Nikon Microscopes) and never looked back. I never was into using electronic flashes even with modeling lights as light sources. Over the past years I have been doing a lot of Photomacrography in the field rather than in the "studio". Mostly with a Nikon D850 tethered to my MacBook Pro. The monitor on the Macbook Pro is so vastly superior to the way smaller D850's LCD screen.

I have read references of being able to convert the X's rear standard to carry an 8x10 frame, but I have yet to find a detailed description of the conversion. But then acquiring a genuine 8x10 P shouldn't break the bank and having the correct 8x10 standards would be a real plus over adapting 4x5 standards.

Here is one on the Bay. I am already using the Fujifilm GFX. I don’t know if the measurements are accurate enough to place the sensor plane to the film plane, so refocusing is not needed after tilt/swing movements. I would imagine Sinar P3 if they have a GFX solution would be accurate. Also available from Cambo and Arca Swiss Universalis. And I believe there is a Horseman version for the LX. Of course, the Chinese version below, which does not seem to be a copy of any, is less pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275545915833
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Photography with the Sinar P and Phase One P45+...
    ~Peter Chong,

https://deployant.com/photography-wi...phase-one-p45/

_?_
    Bernice

Thanks for the shoutout Bernice.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

This info page on macro/micro photography might be useful for your watch photographs, don't get hung up on specific brands for these specialty lenses/optics as there have been LOTs of these optics made for industry, scientific world over the many decades that are simply excellent in too many ways. APO microscope objectives are just one example.
    https://www.savazzi.net/photography/index.htm

Big plus of the Sinar system, virtually any of these Macro/Micro speciality lenses can be adapted to be used on the Sinar system.

Bernice

Thanks, I have bought a Nikkor W 180mm f/5.6 from B.S. Kumar...and will probably use it for a while before exploring other lenses.

I have been doing watch photography professionally for decades, mostly on medium format but don't think I will need large format for my kind of work. To get the look I am known for, I think I will probably need 3X magnification...but why not. Will give it a try.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore