Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Re: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Having been down the Leica road years ago.. the M6 would be the fave, think you know why having own-used the M6.
    M3 "feels" like a precision measurement tool used for machine tool made parts. It is flat solid, tight, precise and ...

Leica rangefinders comes with specific limitations and strengths.. which on balance caused all the Leica rangefinders to find new homes years ago..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post

As for "the German thing"... If I could keep only one of the cameras that I own, it would be the 66 year old Leica M3 double stroke. No contest. I love how it handles, I love rangefinder focusing and I love the lenses. I even prefer the double stroke over the later and more desirable (in the marketplace) single stroke because the first stroke is sort of a physical "get ready" that helps me focus on what I'm doing. I also have an M6 and a digital M (Typ 240), but from a handling perspective I prefer the M3 to both.

A long time ago, a photo store salesman told me to pick a camera that feels right in my hands and in physical operation. It was very good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    M3 "feels" like a precision measurement tool used for machine tool made parts. It is flat solid, tight, precise and ...
    Bernice
    One man's Leica is another man's brick -- TIC!

I'm fully confident that if I had the latest and most expensive Linhof in my hands, I'd still be fully capable of making lousy photographs with it
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I tested a dozen Leica

No thanks

Same with Texas Leica

Top VF my choice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    One man's Leica is another man's brick -- TIC!
    Tin Can

I think most of us that have making photographs for a while have a collection of various cameras we love and hate because they inspired us at the time. I shot ooodles of rolls on my Minolta 135, got bit by the Leica RF bug and have a M3 made near my birthdate. Skipped over the MF desires and went straight to 4x5 monorails , then 4x5 wooden field cameras and significantly reduced my captures. Now I am enjoying 5x12 but produce even less (mainly due to life's other demands on my time). I tried several brands for 4x5 and the Chamonix line fits me the best. I like the larger knobs and focus better than the Japanese models (Shen Hao / Anba) and the Canham just seemed odd to me when you have to promote videos on how to fold it. Ebony is beautiful, but so is a Ferrari. I now dislike all my 135 cameras and the small format work flow. As I age I will likely move to MF and invest in a Hasselblad system.

And like John Kassian - Price of camera or lens has no influence on my ability to screw up an image.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'm fully confident that if I had the latest and most expensive Linhof in my hands, I'd still be fully capable of making lousy photographs with it

I know. I stick to junk cameras and inexpensive cars too, I'm a lousy driver.

I second the Chamonix recommendation. This is a high quality product with lots of thought given to its design. And, it is one of the few good deals left in photography...

Rolfe

IMOP experience from using Hasselblad for decades.. never again.

Over priced, Zeiss lenses are good but not THAT good.. They bust more that expected and $$$$ to fix and these days support for their film cameras is not what it once was..

The 6x6 square format is Meh, but excellent for others.

There are simply better and more cost effective medium format cameras available. Hasselblad much like Leica and other Social Status Symbol devices are often not the reality of their fantasy or social/marketing reputation.

Your exposed film experiences could easily vary from what was written,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    As I age I will likely move to MF and invest in a Hasselblad system.

And like John Kassian - Price of camera or lens has no influence on my ability to screw up an image.

I must admit, I've been tempted, at times -- fortunately only a few -- to get a medium format view camera. Like 4x5", there are several to choose from, new & old, field & studio. Many (most?) are probably lighter than your typical medium format SLR camera with lens -- and offer the swings & tilts of a view camera.

Just as an aside, if you need a studio roll film system, I highly recommend the Fuji GX680. They are super cheap. The bodies, lenses and accessories are very high quality. You can use multiple frame sizes.....What you don't want to do is to carry it around. Mine is twice as heavy and bulky as my field 4x5,and that's not counting the lenses....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know