Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Re: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

That would be a yes, here...

Still have the Sinar F bits and Kodak 8 1/2" f6.3 Commercial Ektar in Ilex shutter from circa mid 1980's. The Sinar F bits got incoperated into the now MUCH larger Sinar system from Norma to P2.. The Kodak 8 1/2" f6.3 Commercial Ektar in Ilex shutter is now used on the Linhof TK23s..

Example of why I'm such a Sinar System fan as it is not just a monorail camera, it is modular camera system that can be built up, configured as needed based on image making needs.

Between the decades of mid 1980's to now, been and done a number of view cameras..

Wista SP, Wisner Technical field, Toyo 810M (remains the fave 8x10 field folder), Toyo & Horseman 45A.. None passed the passage of time test.
    Then came a long series of Linhof Technika both 4x5 and 5x7. From Technika iV to Master in 4x5. Nice camera to use (when in proper GOOD condition) for semi wide to semi tele lenses. Meh for wide angle lenses.. Eventualy, none of these Linhof Technikas survived the passage of time test.. Solid, precise, accurate and in many ways nice to use.. Limited camera movements, absolute pain in the !_!_!_! to use with wide angle lenses.. and like nearly every field folder, limited camera movements with wide angle lenses (this means preciseincrements and absolute control of camera movements front & rear). The Technika does have enough camera extension and bellows (400/430mm) for about a 14"/360mm non-telephoto lens on the 4x5 variants which is a good thing. Except the tripod mount does not allow centering of the camera/lens combo's weight to aid and promote system stability.. So, they all went to other homes..

The current Linhof Technikardan 23s (TK23s) came after using an Arca Swiss 6x9 for many years. Neither camera is ideal, they both have specific trade-offs. The TK23s is not as stable/rigid as the Arca Swiss or they Linhof offers a "macro stabilizer" for the technikardan. This is most problematic with the telescopic rails fully extended with a BIG lens on the front and significant camera movements applied. Plus for the technikardan, the super rollex film holders and the Linhof specific roll film holder system flat works good. The Super Rollex has excellent film flatness, really durable, reliable and nice to use... except the system is "heavy" IMO, too heavy for some image makers.. Arca Swiss 6x9, nice modular monorail, precise-accurate, extensive camera movements and all that. Greatly dislike the geared rail as it is not alway a good thing. It does impart the ability for front and rear focusng which is GOOD. The Arca Swiss 6x9 uses the standard 2x3 back allows using Horseman and similar roll film backs. They work ok, but the means and process of removing the ground glass holder then attatching the roll film back is Meh...

All this cycling of other cameras with the Sinar being the solo survivor all these passing decades of view camera image making..

Given the way any view camera is used, light weight field folders simply do not agree with me.. View camera images are very specific and there Must be a very Good reason to apply any view camera for image making.

~Know this view camera stuff is much about Lenses/Optics, camera movement capability, then print making process.. The camera will always be much lesser to these realities and of lesser importance then these realities.

For light weight travel, far better to bring a canon digital or 35mm roll film or "Texas Leica" ala GW or GSW690 for 120 roll film as they are plenty good enough.

More examples of all view cameras are trade-offs, none being ideal.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    How many of us are using the same gear we started with? I know I'm not.

Before doing anything with Linhof Technika.. Read this written by Austin at Laflex camera..
    http://www.laflexcamera.com/linhof-t...a-buyers-guide

"Buy the best camera you can, keep it working properly and concentrate on your photography."

Take the time to chat with Austin a Laflex camera before doing anyting Linhof Technika or Linhof in general.

Know Technika's have very specific limitations and offerings. Again, mixed bag of trade-offs at best.

Been and done with the Technikas..
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by hiroh View Post
    Yeah, I also checked quickly checked the internet and saw that B&H lists 3000 model for $12K+ and then there are several other Masters on eBay for less than $1000, so I'd really have to dig into this and see what's the difference and which one is the right for me.

And the fact that it's German (being Leica and Rolleiflex fan and user), I have not to look further

I am about to sell SINAR

As camera educational pogam

I am listening to a topical political novel

I broke down for parts the briefcase SINAR as I won't sell that mistake, even new
    Tin Can

Yeah, I also checked quickly checked the internet and saw that B&H lists 3000 model for $12K+ and then there are several other Masters on eBay for less than $1000, so I'd really have to dig into this and see what's the difference and which one is the right for me.

And the fact that it's German (being Leica and Rolleiflex fan and user), I have not to look further
    I have had very good experience buying Linhof items from Linhof & Studio in England. And their prices are much less than US sellers.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Give up on the idea/belief of the "best view camera" as it does not exist..............

"Buy the best camera you can, ...................."

Again, mixed bag of trade-offs at best.

Bernice

It looks like we've gone full-circle, and are back to square one. I can see why a lot of people would opt for the "Buy the best camera you can" line -- unfortunately.

Perhaps I've missed the point with all of the to-and-fro, but it seems that the OP as a new LF user initially has two decisions:

1. Studio use only, or frequent field use away from home or a vehicle? That will affect whether to go with a lightweight, easily portable field rig or a less-portable monorail view camera.

2. New or used? There are many excellent used cameras out there on Ebay, etc. and we all have our favorites, but for a new LF photographer may want to get a decent used camera to determine whether they want to pursue LF photography and, if so, what flavor of it?

The finer points or one camera or another will gradually sort out for each person with increasing experience.

I'm not old enough to give advice. My suggestion runs counter to what most people have said above. Buy a cheap monorail camera and learn movements. That is the essence of large format photography. If you just want a big negative, build a box camera for the cost of some wood and your time. Something like a Toyo D series, Sinar F1, etc would be ideal. They are bulkier than field cameras, but can be folded up quite compactly, particularly with a short rail. In a year or so, you'll figure out which movements you use most, and decide if a field camera suits your image goals and budget. You can either sell the monorail or keep it for those times when a field camera simply won't cut it.

My suggestion comes directly from my experience. My first 4x5 camera was a Linhof Super Technika V with 65, 90, 150 and 210mm lenses. At that time, I did all kinds of photography to pay the rent - industrial, still life, architecture. I read everything on large format photography that was available pre-internet and spent all my spare money shooting and learning. Two years later, I saved up enough to buy a Sinar F2 and a Linhof adapter lens board. I read the Sinar Know How book cover to cover and did all the exercises. Suddenly, all the setups I struggled with the Linhof became simple and took minutes instead of hours. I sold the Linhof camera, and didn't touch a field camera until I moved to Japan, where I bought a Wista 45D. It has its place as something that I'll use when I know the images I'm looking for will not need the capabilities of the Sinar.

As always, YMMV.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Another factor to consider is new or used. Some people won't touch used gear -- for whatever reasons. There are plenty of great new cameras, and plenty of great used ones too. Pretty much this is not an issue with lenses, as they are pretty much all used -- but NOT used up!!!

And the camera you get depends a lot on the lenses you will use. Don't put the cart (camera) before the horse (lenses).
    When dealing with 4x5, lenses are not new.

Bernice, yes, I'm very well aware of that it's a slower process, requires more thinking and time (and tripod), than 35mm and 120 formats. I don't plan to shoot decisive moment type of photography on the street with LF cameras. I love to shot scenes that I've created in my studio, or portraits, or even landscapes and these are all perfect for LF. When not using digital, I prefer my Rolleiflex for this type of images, but sometimes square format is not ideal. Yes, I can crop, but I'd rather try different camera. I never crop my images and 100% of my photos has visible borders (not to show my framing abilities, but because I love the look with the border). And after all, LF provides a different look than MF, which I like for years but hesitated to make a move.

Also, one more reason why I want LF is that I can develop for one shot only, rather than the whole roll of different exposures. Sometimes I need that. I need to add more contrast to the particular shot, but not the whole roll, etc.

I mostly digitize my film these days. I have Negative Supply pro kit, and I already have everything needed for scanning 4x5 format.
    I started with LF equipment two years ago during Covid to do something new. I had shot a lot of MF before. I bought a Chamonix 45H-1 with 4 lenses. 4x5 scans nicely. You can get an idea looking at my FLickr page to compare the different films and also compare 35mm vs 6x7 vs 4x5 for the scans. 4x5 scans the best of the three.

Buy expensive, quality equipment if it will inspire you to do better.