Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

When I was entering film photography, I was looking for the best camera to buy for myself. Among hundreds of choices and price variations, I ended up liking Leica MP the most, and still till this day, I use that camera.

Then I got interested in medium format due to its superior resolution comparing to 35mm, and I ended up buying wonderful Rolleiflex 2.8F which is dear to me till this day and I still use it frequently.

With large format, I must say, I'm hesitating for a long time. I always think, you don't need a new distraction, you have enough cameras, lenses, and generally lots of choices already, you don't need new complications in your life. But now I feel I really want to try it, and as always, I want to choose the best camera for me that I'll like it from day one and that will draw me outside to go and actually use it.

There are lot of reviews and opinions online. Some are based on the prices of the camera, some are based on what's best for beginners, and I can say, I don't care any of these, I simply want something that I'll like. So, based on my previous camera choices in two different film format, what do you think would be the perfect match for me in LF world?

Re: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Chamonix.

Decide what you want to photograph. For example, a camera that's good for long hikes won't be as ideal in a studio as a specialized camera..... Figure out, generally, what kind of lenses you want to use, super wide, wide, normal, long......
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Another factor to consider is new or used. Some people won't touch used gear -- for whatever reasons. There are plenty of great new cameras, and plenty of great used ones too. Pretty much this is not an issue with lenses, as they are pretty much all used -- but NOT used up!!!

And the camera you get depends a lot on the lenses you will use. Don't put the cart (camera) before the horse (lenses).

I don't have a particular subjects that I usually photograph. I photograph studio portraits and landscapes, street photography and more-abstract-less-real subjects. Really everything that I feel photographing that day. And I use both 35mm and MF cameras in almost all scenarios. Deciding factor is 1) the look I want for the particular photograph, and 2) the weight I'm willing to carry that day, as my Rolleiflex kit is heavier that 35mm, so if I'm going with kids on a local beach, I'll most likely bring 35mm (but not always), or if I'm going alone outside in the woods and I know I have a whole afternoon, I'll most likely bring Rolleiflex with the tripod (but not always).

So, I understand the questions about choosing what to photograph, but that will vary from day to day. Maybe over time, I'll figure out in what situations I'll bring 4x5 camera, but at the moment, I don't know, I guess it will be the situations where I need tripod, where I have time and where I don't have anything else to carry. But then, I have a studio where I shoot portraits, so why not use LF camera for that too?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Another factor to consider is new or used. Some people won't touch used gear -- for whatever reasons. There are plenty of great new cameras, and plenty of great used ones too. Pretty much this is not an issue with lenses, as they are pretty much all used -- but NOT used up!!!

And the camera you get depends a lot on the lenses you will use. Don't put the cart (camera) before the horse (lenses).
    I love nice vintage cameras! My Rolleiflex (from 1960) was used, but in pristine condition.

But also if the new cameras are as good as the old ones (or even better), I wouldn't mind consider it.

Although, I prefer the old ones in a good condition that can serve me for a long time.

Leica MP and Rolleiflex 2.8F... high camera standards to follow through with a 4x5. Personally would choose either a Chamonix field camera or a Sinar (older Norma (classic) or a newer F (I think very underrated). I'd steer clear of an older (small rail) Calumet or a cheap wooden field. Both are not bad cameras and I'm sure thousands of excellent photographs have been made with them, but they can be frustrating to use (and definitely on par with the Leica or the Rollei).

Camera choice ~Completely~ depends on your image goals, how-where-what Your specific image making goals-needs are. This coupled with what lenses are required to meet these needs/goals will essentially fix the camera choices..

Keep in mind, any view camera is essentially not a lot more than a light tight box that is flexi in the middle.

What is most importaint has much to do with the camera's ability to support the lenses of choice.. This LF view camera stuff is nothing like a Leica 35mm or digital where there are absolute limits on what can and can never be used with with any Leica camera body...

If your into hiking/back packing/travel and such a set of light weight-small lenses with a light weight field folder could be your ideal camera as an outfit like this will be easier to deal with than a monorail. Trade off will be the camera's total inability to support extensive camera movement needs, long telephoto or macro images, BIG lenses in barre and such... where a modular monorail camera meets these needs FAR better than any lightweight field folder camera.

The belief/idea/habit of the "best camera" is often born from roll film or digital camera conventions, habits, beliefs, ways as there is a foto status symbol tied to specific brands and what they are percieved to offer to any given image maker.

Keep in mind there are a pile of associated items that are manditory and unescapable with this LF view camera stuff like, film holders, dark cloth or similar ground glass viewing aid, light meter, tripod_tripod head, ground glass magnifying loupe, tape meaure, case for all this ... stuff... Adding up all this stuff, it becomes enforced that the idea of focusing on just the camera is short sighted with the image goals out of focus in too many ways.

Then there is budget/cost/investment of this foto gear...

We begin with your image goals..

Bernice

One silly question — what is the most desirable camera in the LF world? I'd like to look at those cameras, as there is usually a reason for that.

When I was looking for the MF camera, I ended up buying Rolleiflex 2.8F which is considered the most desirable Rolleiflex TLR, or maybe even TLR in general by many folks. I didn't know that at the time, and I purchased the camera just because I liked it, but years after I've seen many other TLRs and saw few advantages in 2.8F model. So, I can say I was lucky by choosing this camera, so with that experience, I'd like to look at the cameras that are considered most desirable in LF.

I suppose Linhof.....For studio, Sinar and Arca Swiss. Given what you're doing, I'd get a new Chamonix. It's lighter than some of the older cameras. Use it for a year or two, and see if you run into limits.

Personally, I use a Toyo 45AX for most landscape type things, and a Sinar P2 monorail for studio and architecture. Both are great cameras, but they are heavier than the Chamonix.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know