Thread: Head adapters for studio packs/heads

Scott Davis

Head adapters for studio packs/heads

Does anyone know of a source for such a thing? I currently have a Calumet Elite 2400 pack and four heads for it. At one point I had two of them, and then one blew a capacitor. They're old enough that they are pretty much beyond repair (the one that died may have been made in the late 1980s, and now Bowens is defunct, so there is ONE repair facility for them in Arizona). My second pack is starting to act funny (the digital power output readout is showing odd numbers - when I select the 600 ws output, it will say that, then sometimes show 1800, which was never a selectable option. I'm not too concerned about that one, because regardless of what it says on the readout, the output is consistent. The other more concerning quirk that just manifested is that it will not trigger for my PocketWizards. It fires just fine with the standard sync cord, but not for the PocketWizard. And I tested the Pocket Wizard - it fires just fine with a different flash). So I'm getting concerned about the remaining viability of the power supply. The flash heads and cables, etc, seem to be just fine, however, and I have four of them.

So, lots of background info above, on to the question:

I remember that back in the day, Flash Clinic in NYC would do things like convert Broncolor heads to work on Profoto packs, and the like. They are no more, sadly. I was wondering if someone knows of another source for making either adapters or conversions that would let me use the Calumet Elite heads, cables, etc with either a Bowens QuadX (I know, still a defunct Bowens product, but MUCH newer, with a much longer lifespan) or something else like Broncolor or Profoto. I remember seeing back in the day an official Bowens adapter that would do such a thing, but finding one on Ebay is a hens teeth quest.

Re: Head adapters for studio packs/heads

Think that electronic strobe shop in AZ are one of the very few remaining shops that work on these "power pack" electronic strobe systems. They might be able to do this conversion for your as they might have the documentation needed, parts and experince with this conversion.

These kilowatt/second strobe systems are another casualty of digital photography. Modern digital cameras do not need kilowatt/second strobe lighting. What has replaced them, lithium battery powered mono-lights that work with a given digital camera's metering system. Due to the currently fashionable large lens aperture image making style, power requirements from these portable mono-lights are typically no more than 200watt/second max and being able to dial down the power to say 10watt/seconds is a big plus. These units are more about connectivity, software upgradability and how the digital camera controls flash exposure with mixed lighting and ... negating the need to fully understand lighting ratios, how to set them with a flash meter and all that... which the image maker had to do on their own... manually.

~These lithium batter powered mono-lights that are digital camera integrated systems mass marketed by brands like Godox and ... with Profoto being the current foto status brand (their dominance in the rental market gives them brand recognition and identity).

~The other current electronic strobe marketing fashion/hype is flash duration.. shortest flash duration is marketed as highly desirable in all ways, yet the flash power -vs- flash duration (the hard science/technology part) is ignored.

Pocketwizard is a byproduct of this strobe market as they once were the one of the few that offered radio linked "off camera" strobe with digital camera control. This is no longer true as there are many others that offer this.

Suggestion would be to purchase another Calumet Elite 2400 or compatible power pack as moving to a different strobe eco-system is involved in too many ways. Think Bowens made these strobe systems for Calumet. IMO, the non-digital read out power packs tend to be more reliable and problem free due to their lower complexity. Capacitor explosions and failures can be prevented by powering up the power pack to full then allowing the power pack to sit powered with all the capacitors full charged for some period of time (typically a few hours every few months if the pack is not used). For power packs of unknown condition or history, manual and controlled re-forming of the capacitors is a must due to the unknown condition of the capacitors. What causes flash capacitors to fail is internal leakage current. Essentially there is energy loss within the capacitor due to changes in the foil and chemistry. If this internal energy loss is high, there will be greatly increased internal heating of the capacitor causing expansion which can result in venting or in more extreme cases an explosion of the capacitor.. A capacitor explosion does not render a power pack dead and useless as the failed/exploded capacitor(s) can be replaced and power pack made good as new. This is one of the features of older studio strobe power packs, they are very repairable, reliable and durable due to their design and parts used and construction. Did this with two Elinchrom 404 power packs some time ago.. They have been absolutely problem free since.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...om-404-Rebuild

These Elinchrom power packs are use with a set of Pocketwizard FlexTTL5 in their most basic "manual" mode with the flash sync jack, no problems so far.

What is curious, there are current 2400watt/second studio power pack with head offerings from Broncolor, Profoto, Godox and ... they are all four figures of $$$$ and up, do not see much of a market for them, yet they are still on the market.. do wonder where they go and how they are currently being used.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Does anyone know of a source for such a thing? I currently have a Calumet Elite 2400 pack and four heads for it. At one point I had two of them, and then one blew a capacitor. They're old enough that they are pretty much beyond repair (the one that died may have been made in the late 1980s, and now Bowens is defunct, so there is ONE repair facility for them in Arizona). My second pack is starting to act funny (the digital power output readout is showing odd numbers - when I select the 600 ws output, it will say that, then sometimes show 1800, which was never a selectable option. I'm not too concerned about that one, because regardless of what it says on the readout, the output is consistent. The other more concerning quirk that just manifested is that it will not trigger for my PocketWizards. It fires just fine with the standard sync cord, but not for the PocketWizard. And I tested the Pocket Wizard - it fires just fine with a different flash). So I'm getting concerned about the remaining viability of the power supply. The flash heads and cables, etc, seem to be just fine, however, and I have four of them.

So, lots of background info above, on to the question:

I remember that back in the day, Flash Clinic in NYC would do things like convert Broncolor heads to work on Profoto packs, and the like. They are no more, sadly. I was wondering if someone knows of another source for making either adapters or conversions that would let me use the Calumet Elite heads, cables, etc with either a Bowens QuadX (I know, still a defunct Bowens product, but MUCH newer, with a much longer lifespan) or something else like Broncolor or Profoto. I remember seeing back in the day an official Bowens adapter that would do such a thing, but finding one on Ebay is a hens teeth quest.

I had a set reformed in Canada years ago

I now fear them

I buy new for safety

Capacitors do age poorly
    Tin Can

Depends on the design/build quality of the specific capacitor. The main flash capacitors used by Elinchrom are made to their specifications, very high quality.
    Now, having essentially rebuilt, made good again several Elinchrom power packs, their flash capacitors have held up good and not significantly degraded in their energy storage capability and their measured leakage current easily meets spec..

IMO, old vintage Elinchrom remains under rated, under appreciated. Their current offerings is Meh...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Capacitors do age poorly

Back in the day I also would go to New York City Flash Clinic. They were kind of famous in the photo district for their mods. Sadly they are gone.

Kevin at KHB Photographix still works on big strobes and does adaptions.

See here: http://www.khbphotografix.com/ServiceParts2.html

He is wonderful to talk to. Best not to be in a hurry, though!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Scott Davis

I did just have a small portrait shoot that paid enough for me to buy a used Calumet Elite 2400 pack so I'll have that as a backup. I was just thinking of down-the-road possibilities so that if/when the pack goes completely permanently tits up (or at least becomes uneconomical to repair), I don't have to toss those heads and cables in the trash bin.

Silvino's in LA was able to repair my Dyna-Lites this summer. I don't have their contact info handy, but a search will easily find them.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Silvino's in LA was able to repair my Dyna-Lites this summer. I don't have their contact info handy, but a search will easily find them.
    I'll look them up. I was trying to avoid a trans-continental shipping exercise for getting them serviced - the shipping cost to and from could well exceed the value of the pack, and maybe even double the cost of the servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I'll look them up. I was trying to avoid a trans-continental shipping exercise for getting them serviced - the shipping cost to and from could well exceed the value of the pack, and maybe even double the cost of the servicing.
    Ask Pro Photo in downtown DC.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Ask Pro Photo in downtown DC.
    I'll double check with them but I'm pretty sure they do NOT service high-capacity flash units. I've asked about it with them before, when the one pack died.