Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Lachlan 717

Re: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Hi, Sal.

Not sure what this is - happy to check if you can define (I went with the 404 long version, but doubt there’s any difference between them apart from specs).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks, Lachlan. When one of the leg locks is loosened and the next smaller section is pulled out, can that smaller section be rotated, or is it constrained from doing so? It's been quite a few years since big-name CF tripod makers added the anti-leg-rotation feature, which makes it easy to lock smaller sections before locking sections that are larger than them.

My FLM legs rotate when unlocked and why not!

Even my WEAK hands can lock and unlock securely, no reason to complicate

They are cleanable easily

I borrowed a French Gitzo tripod same size

NO THANK YOU!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    This is something that I have avoided like the plague. Searching for and buying a light weight tripod, that will support my 8x10, and my "she ain't pretty she just looks that way" 14x17. For the past 30 years, I have been using a big, heavy Gitzo. I love it, but it's just too heavy for trudging in the bush (I'll be 60 next year ). It really is. Light weight means carbon fibre. No centre column. I'd love another Gitzo, but I'm not willing to lay down that much money. I know, I know... I'm cheap. What is out there? What are you using? Anyone have experience with those Chinese carbon fibre tripods? Thank you!!
    I'm still using my 40-year-old Gitzo which I bought when France still owned it. Gitzo had an office in Queens NYC where I lived at the time and suggested this model. With the three-way top, it weighs 9 pounds or so. No center but it reaches to around 75". I think the tubes are made of steel. I could fight off a bear if attacked. But I stopped hiking with the equipment and just will go maybe 100 yards from my car at the most. If a flat trail is nearby, I'll use my "wheelie" for the camera case and sling the tripod over my shoulder. It's great for my Mamiya RB67 and now that I shoot 4x5, works with it as well too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gitzo 3 way with quick release ab.jpg   Gitzo 3 way with quick release db.jpg  

It looks like nobody mentioned Gitzo CF series 3.

How about a Zone VI lightweight? A sturdy wooden tripod, not too heavy, and not too expensive. I used mine a lot for 4x5 and 8x10 Sinar back in the day. Still have it.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Oct-2022 at 04:00.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I haven't seen many people mentioning tripods by Foba.
    There is currently only one model ALFAE in its catalogue. The price showed on the BHPHOTO is insane, but in the EU is not that high, at the same level of a Linhof professional tripod.

May I ask if someone has experience with Foba tripods?

Quote Originally Posted by Elcan View Post
    I haven't seen many people mentioning tripods by Foba.
    There is currently only one model ALFAE in its catalogue. The price showed on the BHPHOTO is insane, but in the EU is not that high, at the same level of a Linhof professional tripod.

May I ask if someone has experience with Foba tripods?
    I bought a FOBA tripod from their online shop in the EU a few months ago. Less than half price than their USA price. It is made of aluminum, heavier than carbon fiber ones. Extremely steady and well made. It handles Chamonix 11x14 camera with ease.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you use the geared column?

I wonder how it compares to the aluminum gitzo tripods, such as 4 or 5 series models.

Mine, a Alu tripod (ALFAE), 3-part telescopic tripod, crank operated insert (geared column) (ALFEA),and a medium Gitzo head weighs 17 pounds, is very stiff in the legs despite CLA and looks identical (and column and bowls etc are an exact fit) to a Gitzo Carbon 5 series. It stays in the studio and is as steady as any of my stands.