Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Bill

Re: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I’m impressed with Leofoto’s range.

In short, they offer tripods in 3 different ways that correspond with the diameter of the largest CF tubing used. They are the 2, 3 and 4 series - roughly 28, 35 and 40mm.

Not for the traditionalist, but my LM-404CL works perfectly with a Majestic head for ULF.
    I'd recommend Leofoto's offerings too. The LN-364 I bought easily handles my Calumet C1, and is light enough that I never found it much of a burden on a recent 6 week backpacking trip. Fully extended and with a fairly standard head it is a little tall for my height (6'1").

I now have and use two large Ries tripods. One with a large OEM Ries head and the other with a Chinese "ripoff" (price if it was too good to pass up on). Shoot up to 11x14 and the two of them have never failed me. I did have a CF Gitzo, but using it in the New England's mud and in icy streams in the winter, well lets just say (an understatement) that the rotating leg extension locks didn't always operate all that smoothly. In the late 1970s I used a very basic wooden legged Burke & James "Portable Studio Stand" with its ultra basic and simple "tilt only" wooden head with my 8x10. Was recommended to me by George Tice. I have to say that I do miss it. If I ever were to find another one in excellent condition, I would absolutely buy it. Not as precisionaly made as a Ries, but totally solid and dependable.

Having been and done this tripod fiasco recently.. CF (carbon fiber) tripods are a no.. Yes, they are lower weight and all that. The trade off is, lower stability (real world conditions), twist leg locks are problem prone and not as easy to use as they appear.

IMO, the BIG attraction to CF tripod is lower weight and their advertised weight rating which is more marketing than substance. The foto status brand Gitzo ala Manfrotto both owned by Vinten Group is more about brand reconition than addressing the real needs of the user for a tripod. Much has changed in the world of CF as it has become a common technology made world wide.. Given the market $$$$ for a Gitzo tripod, or Manfrotto tripod no thanks..

Vast majority of CF tripods today are made in China with some China brands using CF tubes from Japan.. Many are designed in the US or EU or ?
    then built in China for vast distribution.. The better ones are FAR more similar than differnt..

Having tried a few CF tripods, the value CF tripod: Innorel. They have store on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=innorel&g...l_8sb3za07sh_e

The RT80c has 32mm or 36mm tubes with a 75mm bowl. Much identical to other tripod status brands.
    https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Tripod...8-1-spons&th=1

The RT90c is bigger, 40mm tubes..
    https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Tripod...0DMOR87UY&th=1

~Keep in mind aluminum tripods remain a viable alternative..

~Surveyor tripods are another viable tripod for larger view cameras.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rveyor-vs-Ries

Not long ago, got a wood Berlebach report tripod. This has become the "go to" tripod for the Linhof TK23s. It is heavier than the CF tripod. In actual field use conditions the Berlebach has proven to be tops.. in every way and worth the extra weight. Easy to set up, very stable, GOOD vibration control, abuse-able in ways any tripod should be expected to be abused as that is the life of a tripod used outdoors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof TK23s, succ set up.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	231924

End of this story, IMO get a wood tripod (Rise or Berlebach) with an excellent tripod head. Heavier yes, but they fit the needs of using a view camera better than a modern CF tripod, weight reduction can be had else where in the foto outfit. Oh, keep in mind any tripod used outdoors lots will be "Nature" worn over the passage of images made and time. None will ever win a beauty contest as they age.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Andrew, I have doubts that you can get around the cost. Top carbon-fiber tripods are Gitzo, ProMedia and RRS and neither of them are cheap. Forgot about Foba....and wouldn't mind seeing how this performs. FLM would be great if made in Germany. After 8yrs I'm still using Feisol, but I'm looking.....
    Les, the FLM tripods that were made in Germany were good tripods, but the ones made in China are superior to the German tripods by several orders of magnitude.
    Much better QC and manufacturing consistency than the Germans ever had.
    And FLM is still the only tripod that comes with a 10-year warranty.

Our ball heads are still made in Germany, but the Germans no longer want to make them, and apparently no one in Europe wants to work any more.
    So, one day, our ball heads will be made in China, and these by robots. No more human error, calling in sick, refusing to show up, etc.
    Crazy world we live in, eh?!

+1 for FLM
    I have the FLM CP34 L4II Tripod and have not run into any limitations in height, stiffness, or general use. Operation is simple and smooth.
    weight is fine to strap on a pack or carry.
    My only issue is that there is no zero position leg lock, so if walking with legs extended they will cross each other.
    Get the bowl/half ball mount. Its easier to fine tune your leveling.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I already miss products from China

They have become very good at manufacturing

Isaac Asimov Foundation
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

There are probably several brands offering suitable CF's. But I selected a Feisol CT3472 (minus any center column option, and modified by me to a direct platform top), which easily supports my Phillips 8x10 folder. It wouldn't want any CF lighter than that. No, even it doesn't have the same "bully mass" or wind resistance as my preferred larger Ries wooden tripod. But with my own increased "belly mass", and shift toward my mid-70's, it is a realistic way to keep going with the 8x10 backpack kit, or otherwise better compactness and portability if needed. No way I'm going to outright stop using either of my two Ries, however.

I've chimed in so many times on my preference for the no-head option - bolting the camera directly to the tripod platform, as well as on potentially suitable survey tripods as a low budget option, that there's no point in doing so again here.

I have a Leophoto travel tripod. It is very sturdy for the price. It does bother me that they seem to be pretty cavalier about borrowing intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I’m impressed with Leofoto’s range...
    I've looked at the LM-323C and might just give it a try. Do you (or anyone else) know whether the Summit series incorporates an anti-rotation leg design? Thanks in advance.

I am with Bernice, I've owned a Berlebach Report for many (and I mean many) years and it has been rugged and reliable and it still looks great (black version).
    Its a dream with my 8x10 Century Universals and Agfa/Ansco cameras and will even tolerate the Toyo 810m. I will admit in very windy conditions or maximum height, the Davis and Sanford floating action model B with the original platform head is my go-to. Its like carrying a Mule but I have always loved the beast.