Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Need Sound Tripod Advice

This is something that I have avoided like the plague. Searching for and buying a light weight tripod, that will support my 8x10, and my "she ain't pretty she just looks that way" 14x17. For the past 30 years, I have been using a big, heavy Gitzo. I love it, but it's just too heavy for trudging in the bush (I'll be 60 next year ). It really is. Light weight means carbon fibre. No centre column. I'd love another Gitzo, but I'm not willing to lay down that much money. I know, I know... I'm cheap. What is out there? What are you using? Anyone have experience with those Chinese carbon fibre tripods? Thank you!!

Re: Need Sound Tripod Advice

I bought 2 FLM supports from a Canadian biz run by a member here, Ari

I have no regrets, German design Made in China

I like the 100mm bowl tops

https://www.flmcanada.com/
    Tin Can

I bought this some years ago

I wanted tall for gimbal birding

https://www.flmcanada.com/product/fl...-l4-ii-tripod/
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I bought 2 FLM supports from a Canadian biz run by a member here, Ari

I have no regrets, German design Made in China

I like the 100mm bowl tops

https://www.flmcanada.com/

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Les

Andrew, I have doubts that you can get around the cost. Top carbon-fiber tripods are Gitzo, ProMedia and RRS and neither of them are cheap. Forgot about Foba....and wouldn't mind seeing how this performs. FLM would be great if made in Germany. After 8yrs I'm still using Feisol, but I'm looking.....
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Andrew, I have doubts that you can get around the cost. Top carbon-fiber tripods are Gitzo, ProMedia and RRS and neither of them are cheap. Forgot about Foba....and wouldn't mind seeing how this performs. FLM would be great if made in Germany. After 8yrs I'm still using Feisol, but I'm looking.....
    Have you looked at the Novoflex TrioPod system? By far, the most versatile.

By far the most important consideration is maximum extended height. That specification plays with the head and camera you'll place upon it as well as your height. Figure out this vertical dimension, then compile a list of the leg sets (probably "series 3", but you might need larger diameter) that are tall enough. I personally like three-section models and hate having to partially extend a section because the legs are longer than I need, but others aren't bothered by that.

When your list is complete, do a search for reviews of the candidates on it. Many inexpensive versions are apparently less robust than the big names. Good luck!

Lachlan 717

I’m impressed with Leofoto’s range.

In short, they offer tripods in 3 different ways that correspond with the diameter of the largest CF tubing used. They are the 2, 3 and 4 series - roughly 28, 35 and 40mm.

Not for the traditionalist, but my LM-404CL works perfectly with a Majestic head for ULF.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    By far the most important consideration is maximum extended height. That specification plays with the head and camera you'll place upon it as well as your height. Figure out this vertical dimension, then compile a list of the leg sets (probably "series 3", but you might need larger diameter) that are tall enough. I personally like three-section models and hate having to partially extend a section because the legs are longer than I need, but others aren't bothered by that.

When your list is complete, do a search for reviews of the candidates on it. Many inexpensive versions are apparently less robust than the big names. Good luck!
    Tripod height can be a matter of personal preference, too. The best shot might not be from your standing point of view, but lower or higher. For me, the tallest tripod you can afford and can manage to carry to your choice of destinations is the best. And a small, folding step or crate to stand on when that best view is from higher than you are tall.

I might throw Induro sticks into the mix—I’ve got a 3-series that’s been burly enough to handle my Sinar Norma 8x10, though the 4 and 5 series (usually available used/refurbished here in the States for ~350-500 USD) would probably be a better option.