Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P1 4x5 - connection to tripod head

Sinar P1 4x5 - connection to tripod head

Hi,

What is the best way to connect the camera to the tripod? I've got Manfrotto 405 geared head converted to Arca type quick release system. As I saw, the monorail clamp has one single 1/4-20 hole, so I would need to fit arca compatible plate, but I wonder if such configuration would be sufficient to support the system properly. What are you using for such application?

Re: Sinar P1 4x5 - connection to tripod head

The Sinar rail clamp is quite tall since the front and rear standards hang below the rail. This means there's a pretty big cantilever force when the rail is tilted up or down. I would prefer the larger 3/8" thread mount for strength, myself. I use the Manfrotto hex plates on mine, but a quality Arca type should work too.

Your rail clamp may have a 1/4" adapter threaded in. If you see slots around the thread, then it's an adapter. You can unscrew the adapter to use the 3/8" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Your rail clamp may have a 1/4" adapter threaded in. If you see slots around the thread, then it's an adapter. You can unscrew the adapter to use the 3/8" threads.
    Agreed, look at it from the inside and use a slotted screw driver to remove the adapter. I like 3/8 with an F1. I’ve never held a P but I can imagine it’s strongly recomended to use 3/8 with that weight.
    Last edited by Edison; 18-Oct-2022 at 18:24. Reason: splleing

Sinar rail clamp is the only proper way to connect the Sinar rail to any camera support system. This is a basic part of any Sinar camera system.

For the Sinar rail clamp to tripod or camera support device (studio stand or similar) the Sinar Pan/Tilt head is a must to no exception due to it's stability and ability properly support a Sinar camera system.

Bernice

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

For the Sinar rail clamp to tripod or camera support device (studio stand or similar) the Sinar Pan/Tilt head is a must to no exception due to it's stability and ability properly support a Sinar camera system.

Bernice
    I could not agree more.

Hejinar and others have made round AS style plates that match up with Sinar rail clamps etc. but any plate that is at least as big as the base of the rail clamp should work fine. The P vintage rail clamps have a hole which a small screw head on the top plate of the Sinar head fits in preventing the rail clamp from rotating. You will want a similar screw head/stud. Every rail clamp I’ve seen has a 3/8 16 mounting hole. I agree as previously written you probably have a reducing adapter inserted into your rail clamp.

I, too, prefer the Sinar pan/tilt head to anything else I've used over the years with my Sinar, and, yes, I've tried a 405. But Jeff's right, there are lots of Arca plates big enough for the purpose.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Could you please explain a bit what makes pan/tilt Sinar head so special and unique? It does not look as sturdy as my 405 head, but maybe there is something more?

Anybody knows what is the diameter of rail clamp bottom? Indeed Hejnar has those round plates, but I need to know which size should I get.

It's much lighter. It's just as sturdy. Put a camera on both. Balance them properly. Lock them down. Tap the end of the rail. Compare. With my examples, the Sinar head was better in this regard. More importantly, the mounting system is more foolproof, and the camera will not spin on the mounting plate.

Leave the Sinar rail clamp on the Sinar head. You don't have to tighten the tripod head screw excessively, since the clamp can't spin on the head. Now to mount your Sinar, place it on the rail clamp. Secure. This is super easy, and what you're doing is not blocked by the camera, and so you can see it very clearly. I love Arca plates. I have them for most of my cameras, but sometimes they're not ideal.

But...we often have to make do with what's not ideal. Most times really good is enough. If you want to use your 405, then by all means do so!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The Sinar rail clamp and Pan Tilt head and Sinar modular camera is designed as a system. The rail clamp has anti-rotation slots and tensioning screw, the pan/tilt head has the anti-rotation pin with a round base of the same diameter. They are designed to work together.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar rail clamp & pan:tilt locks.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	231909

There was a previous question of 1/4" threaded boss. All Sinar rail clamps are made with 3/8" threaded boss. If it appears to be 1/4", remove the reducer bushing and use the 3/8 threaded boss as this is more stable and durable and removed another point of problems. There is zero need for a quick release plate like the Arca Swiss, which adds another point of problems. Simply loosen the rail clamp's long handle and remove the camera with the plastic bushing on the rail. This is effectively the Sinar "quick release" system built in.

Name:	Sinar rail clamp, Pan:Tilt head.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	231912

This is what the rail clamp and pan/tilt head looks like jointed. The slots fit into the pin and the tensioning screw is rotated 1/2 turn to tension up the entire assembly. This produces an absolutely wobble free and stable connection between rail clamp to pan/tilt head that cannot be achieved by finger sung of the screws and threaded bosses alone. This system is designed for stability, security, safety of the entire system with few problems as possible.

Name:	Sinar support mount.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	231911

Why the Sinar pan/tilt head over other tripod or studio stand heads? It is remarkably stable, lightweight for what it can do, easy to use, durable and absolutely reliable. One of the reasons why geared heads have become popular is due to ease of adjustment of unbalanced loads placed on the head. Gearing produceds the leveradge and forces needed to control this unbalanced weight. With a Sinar, once the camera is set up with lens and camera/bellows extension as needed, slide the entire set up on the rail's plastic bushing to balance the set up. Once this is properly done, the weight of the set up is balanced at that point greatly enhancing stability and ease of adjustment. Having used the Sinar pan/tilt head on many tripods to Foba studio stand, it has easily supported 30+ pounds of Sinar 8x10 P with no less than 5 pounds of lens, compendium lens shade, filter system and over 4 feet of rail.. no issues, no stability problems. If the pan/tilt head is used with a tripod, no center column is ideal as center columns are another point of stability problems.
    Prevously posted example of a long Sinar 5x7.

Name:	Long Sinar, 3.2.2021.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	231913

Previous practice and habits might not apply to the Sinar system. Do know Sinar system is extremly capable and easily adapted to the specific needs of the image maker. There are applications where a geared head works, what ultimately fits your needs can only be decided by your specific needs.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by kal800 View Post
    Could you please explain a bit what makes pan/tilt Sinar head so special and unique? It does not look as sturdy as my 405 head, but maybe there is something more?

Anybody knows what is the diameter of rail clamp bottom? Indeed Hejnar has those round plates, but I need to know which size should I get.