Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 - focus belt repair advice

R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 - focus belt repair advice

Hello-

I have a R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 and the belt for the focus mechanism is crumbling and falling apart. The belt is a thread reinforced rubber-like material. I'm not able to find any manuals, documentation or images of this belt and I'm curious if this sprocket and belt focus system was used in any other models? I'm not easily finding any replacement options from suppliers like McMaster-Carr and I'm not having any luck combing image searches or searching various belt suppliers. It's very possible that I've missed some obvious options so any help is greatly appreciated.

I've included a picture with both a damaged portion and intact portion of the belt and the sprocket that it mates with on the focus mechanism.

Thank you.

Aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phillips8x10_focusbelt.jpg  

Re: R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 - focus belt repair advice

After you described your problem on Friday, I took a quick look online and found no examples of this style of focusing on Phillip's cameras.

That made me wonder if you have a proto-type. The links of the belt looks like they were made of cellulose, or some other form of plastic. If the belts were not dependable, Phillip might have abandoned that method.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Do or do not. There is no try.

That belt looks like it might be from W. M. Berg:

https://www.wmberg.com/products/belts-and-chains

Hi Vaughn, it was great seeing you on Friday. Your show of new Carbon prints looks great and thanks for letting me handle some unframed prints, that was a treat.

I agree, it's possible Phillips cameras mainly used some other method like a lead screw, but this is based on the few detail images I've been able to find.

Regarding it being a prototype, it doesn't have any serial # or production markings other than the branding and model indication around the front lens board opening. I'm not sure if this minimal information is typical of R.H. Phillips cameras? Thanks for your help and see you soon!

Best, Aaron

Thanks Steve, this seems like a very good lead. After going to the W.M. Berg site I realized that I should have referred to it as a "chain" and that's probably why I did so poorly in searching. A quick glance at their products makes it seem very likely they can help me out. I'll follow up with them and post back any progress I've made.

Thanks again.

best,

Aaron

Drew Wiley

The original model has ordinary rack and pinion gearing on both sides of the bed, and not a central drive chain controlled from behind. It's simpler in several respects, and I prefer it that way. Mine does have a serial number and it's 008 - only the eighth one he built for sale. Those cameras have a blonde hybrid laminate for the base rather than the all-black of the model 2. I made a couple of minor modifications on mine and ever since it's held up superbly.

Drew, the Advantage was a different model, earlier than the blonde first version of the Compact. I'll attach a picture. Not sure where the chain/belt would be, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Advantage 1 1157589_191500507694609_1505390165_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	231824

Drew Wiley

Are you sure about the sequencing of that, Oren? Dick Phillips sold me my camera in person, and told me he had just begun making them for sale. But the posted image does look like the model Fatali used; and I know he bought one even before me. Perhaps serial numbering only began with the official Compact model, and that is what Dick was actually implying at the time. In any event, a chain drive issue would indicate a Model 2 version, which he might have briefly offered an ultralight "Advantage" option for too. Mine doesn't even have black anodized hardware, just regular silver anodized, though I replaced a few of the most susceptible parts with stainless steel.

The second time I talked with him in person and told him of my own improvements, he said he was redesigning a number of things anyway, and going all black because some people were making fun of how "ugly" his blonde hybrid ply looked. Well, he was a dentist, not a harpsichord maker first like Ron Wisner. The model you posted looks like a halfway house somewhere along the line. But once he officially went into the Model 2's, the price went way up because he was subcontracting the manufacture to keep up with demand. Someone should contact him and ask. But my old serial no. 8 will outlast me, so this sound all academic anyway, just as long as the gent finds a new chain. Another source for those would be McMaster.

Drew - my bad, I'm getting confused. Do you own a Compact or an Advantage?

Drew Wiley

It's a Compact, and mostly blonde. Gear-drive, no rear shift. Being a low-production guy, I'm sure Dick P. did some experimentation along the line. So maybe only he knows all the various tweaks he offered. But I first met him at a trade show booth where he only had a prototype, and was taking orders in advance for 8x10's at an amazingly low introductory price, wondering if anyone would even be interested in his "ugly duckling" camera at all. Mine was the eighth one he shipped. It was maybe a decade later when he was complaining he couldn't keep up with demand, and would need to raise prices for sake of assistance making them, i.e, subcontracting much of it. And at that time he showed me the prototype II model 8x10 with its drive chain, rear swing & extension, and all-black finish.