Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 - focus belt repair advice

Re: R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 - focus belt repair advice

I wrote to Dick, including a link to the OP's question and images. Dick just replied. He indicates that the source is indeed W.M. Berg, Inc. and, if his long-term memory is as good as he hopes, the part number is 14CCF-130-E. The number Dick has for Berg is 1-800 232-BERG.

Thanks, Sal. I lent my old trusty 8x10 Kodak 2D to Aaron along with a TR triple convertible. The Phillips and a couple of excellent lenses he now has access to will send my 2D back into loneliness. I rarely need the bellows on that beast (the TR with just the 28" element is the only time my Zone VI doesn't have the bellows for landscapes) The longest I occasionally use for 8x10 (and 11x14) is 24"/600mm.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Drew, mine is all black so I'm thinking it is a model 2. I'm still not finding any serial# but I will keep looking for identifying marks.

best,

Aaron

Thanks Oren, that is almost exactly what I have. Mine is just slightly different.

I don't have a strap on top but rather a wood bar with a 3/8" hole on each end for dowels to help support a dark cloth. I'm guessing that is the use.
    The focus chain runs under the focus rail (down the center) and couples to the black focus knob on the back right corner via a shaft and sprocket.

In the image I also don't see any, or the same type, of clips on the top of the rear standard that allow my back to switch from landscape to portrait.

I will post images of this camera tomorrow to better point out the differences I'm seeing.

Thanks again,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Drew, the Advantage was a different model, earlier than the blonde first version of the Compact. I'll attach a picture. Not sure where the chain/belt would be, though.

Attachment 231824

Thanks Drew, mine is all black and seemingly free of a serial #. I'll be posting some images tomorrow to point out a few small differences from Oren's image that I'm curious about.

best,

Aaron
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Are you sure about the sequencing of that, Oren? Dick Phillips sold me my camera in person, and told me he had just begun making them for sale. But the posted image does look like the model Fatali used; and I know he bought one even before me. Perhaps serial numbering only began with the official Compact model, and that is what Dick was actually implying at the time. In any event, a chain drive issue would indicate a Model 2 version, which he might have briefly offered an ultralight "Advantage" option for too. Mine doesn't even have black anodized hardware, just regular silver anodized, though I replaced a few of the most susceptible parts with stainless steel.

The second time I talked with him in person and told him of my own improvements, he said he was redesigning a number of things anyway, and going all black because some people were making fun of how "ugly" his blonde hybrid ply looked. Well, he was a dentist, not a harpsichord maker first like Ron Wisner. The model you posted looks like a halfway house somewhere along the line. But once he officially went into the Model 2's, the price went way up because he was subcontracting the manufacture to keep up with demand. Someone should contact him and ask. But my old serial no. 8 will outlast me, so this sound all academic anyway, just as long as the gent finds a new chain. Another source for those would be McMaster.

Thank you Sal, this is great news! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help out and I'm so glad Dick was able to reply. The part numbers he cited are still valid so I will do some measuring and comparison tomorrow and reach out to W.M. Berg. This information will spare me a lot of confusion and save me a lot of time and money struggling to get an exact fit. I'll post any updated information and progress I make. Thanks again.

best,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I wrote to Dick, including a link to the OP's question and images. Dick just replied. He indicates that the source is indeed W.M. Berg, Inc. and, if his long-term memory is as good as he hopes, the part number is 14CCF-130-E. The number Dick has for Berg is 1-800 232-BERG.

Thanks, Vaughn. I greatly appreciate your generosity, help and support! It's been quite a treat to have that as a loaner and a great reference.

best,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks, Sal. I lent my old trusty 8x10 Kodak 2D to Aaron along with a TR triple convertible. The Phillips and a couple of excellent lenses he now has access to will send my 2D back into loneliness. I rarely need the bellows on that beast (the TR with just the 28" element is the only time my Zone VI doesn't have the bellows for landscapes) The longest I occasionally use for 8x10 (and 11x14) is 24"/600mm.

I thank you all too!
    Tin Can

I had the same problem with my Advantage recently and was quoted the same part number and supplier. I also called Richard Ritter and he has experience in replacing the chain.

Contact and Shipping Information

Phone (802)365-7807

9:00AM -6:00PM

richardtritter@gmail.com

Shipping

PO Box 401 (USPS)

1706 Deer Valley Rd (UPS\FEDX)

Townshend, Vermont 05353-0401

Hi Oren- Here are some pictures of the R.H. Phillips Advantage 8x10 that I am using right now. It seems to be fairly identical to the picture you posted.

best,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Drew, the Advantage was a different model, earlier than the blonde first version of the Compact. I'll attach a picture. Not sure where the chain/belt would be, though.

Attachment 231824
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advantage_front.jpg   Advantage_rear.jpg