Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CatLABS X FILM 80 MKII now available in 8X10

Re: CatLABS X FILM 80 MKII now available in 8X10

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Catlabs replied earlier in this thread that their shipment to Downtown Camera was on it's way, and would be there in a week or so. I noticed the 4x5 stock that DC had now was the original version, not this new version MKII. You might want to cancel that order and wait till the 8x10 comes in too. If the total is more than $150 you'll also get free shipping.
    Eeeek! Now you tell me! I sent them an email asking them if the have the new version in stock, and to cancel my order if they do not...

Pay Pal is handy and I use it all the time

Especially when buying if offered on checkout

The seller eats the surcharge and now they offer Pay in 4 with no interest

Useful for me

no cost
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I will test and compare for myself as I have a few mystery films

I ordered the new Catlab 4X5 and 8X10 5 hours ago, already shipped
    That's great, but wouldn't it be nice if the seller offered to share the manufacturer's specs for the film?? Omer has been asked on multiple occasions for this information and said "no". When pressed for the information, he becomes - shall we say - "prickly".

From Brent Woods' review of the new film (available on Freestyle's site):

"What bothers me about this film is there is absolutely no technical information from CatLabs about this film. After receiving my first 4x5 box of film I expected to find a technical information sheet in the box. When in the dark, as I opened the film, I felt a piece of paper that I thought was the technical sheet. However, when the lights were turned on the paper I felt was a sticker with CatLabs logo on it stating to shoot more film. This is certainly cute but not the needed technical information.
    The information I was looking for was what is the spectral sensitivity of the film and how to correct for reciprocity failure? Is this a purely a panchromatic film or what is it an orthopanchromatic film. After exposing a sheet of film to a Kodak Q14 color step wedge I have found the film is neither panchromatic nor orthopanchromatic."

and:

"So, what concerns do I have? First and foremost, absolutely no technical information about the film from CatLabs; if serious photographers are to use this film then reciprocity curves and spectral sensitivity are absolutely needed."

I can deal with not having spectral sensitivity information about a film, but absolutely ZERO information about reciprocity characteristics?? That is essential information. I need to know the reciprocity traits for the films I work with, and I'm not going to adopt a new film - no matter how cheap it is - if the seller isn't willing (or able) to supply basic information like reciprocity characteristics. The CatLabs web site includes a point list of traits for the film, but it's all in marketing speak, with absolutely no specifics. Why Omer has decided to intentionally withhold this information is a mystery - unless the data will be deleterious to sales and he's working to obfuscate it.

If you're selling 8x10 format sheet film, you have to acknowledge that you're not selling to a bunch of students who just want to experiment - your customer base is going to be people who work in large format (and many of them have decades of experience) and these people work hard to get the most out of their materials, and to do that you need to know what the characteristics of your materials are.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 19-Oct-2022 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    So, you only accept paypal payments?? There seems to be an option to pay with my credit card, but then after I've entered all my details, it wants me to make a paypal account. I don't want a paypal account... If that is the case then, I'm out. Hopefully someone up here will carry it, but very doubtful.
    You can contact us directly via email to make arrangements to pay directly by credit card, no paypal account needed.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    You can contact us directly via email to make arrangements to pay directly by credit card, no paypal account needed.
    Thanks! I may take you up on that. I sent an email to the store in Toronto cancelling my order. Once I get confirmation, I'll be in touch.

Couldn't cancel my order for some strange reason... I really think they "ignored" my request. Oh well... I've got a couple of old stock heading my way.

While I've had good experiences with Catlabs generally...I must agree that they should make efforts to supply technical data with this film.

Otherwise, I'd need assurances of absolute (or at least "reasonable") consistency, plus about six "free" sheets to allow for testing to establish my own data.

I bought CatII 4X5 for MY testing and 8X10 Cat II for a project

The motto of this forum is

'Test for yourself!'
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post

From Brent Woods' review of the new film (available on Freestyle's site):.
    Who is Brent Woods? Does he work for Freestyle?
    Seems like a useless review because I can figure out there is no datasheet just as easy. A review should test the spectral sensitivity, speed, development characterisitcs and reciprocity, otherwise, useless.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    That's great, but wouldn't it be nice if the seller offered to share the manufacturer's specs for the film?? Omer has been asked on multiple occasions for this information and said "no". When pressed for the information, he becomes - shall we say - "prickly".

From Brent Woods' review of the new film (available on Freestyle's site):

"What bothers me about this film is there is absolutely no technical information from CatLabs about this film. After receiving my first 4x5 box of film I expected to find a technical information sheet in the box. When in the dark, as I opened the film, I felt a piece of paper that I thought was the technical sheet. However, when the lights were turned on the paper I felt was a sticker with CatLabs logo on it stating to shoot more film. This is certainly cute but not the needed technical information.
    The information I was looking for was what is the spectral sensitivity of the film and how to correct for reciprocity failure? Is this a purely a panchromatic film or what is it an orthopanchromatic film. After exposing a sheet of film to a Kodak Q14 color step wedge I have found the film is neither panchromatic nor orthopanchromatic."

and:

"So, what concerns do I have? First and foremost, absolutely no technical information about the film from CatLabs; if serious photographers are to use this film then reciprocity curves and spectral sensitivity are absolutely needed."

I can deal with not having spectral sensitivity information about a film, but absolutely ZERO information about reciprocity characteristics?? That is essential information. I need to know the reciprocity traits for the films I work with, and I'm not going to adopt a new film - no matter how cheap it is - if the seller isn't willing (or able) to supply basic information like reciprocity characteristics. The CatLabs web site includes a point list of traits for the film, but it's all in marketing speak, with absolutely no specifics. Why Omer has decided to intentionally withhold this information is a mystery - unless the data will be deleterious to sales and he's working to obfuscate it.

If you're selling 8x10 format sheet film, you have to acknowledge that you're not selling to a bunch of students who just want to experiment - your customer base is going to be people who work in large format (and many of them have decades of experience) and these people work hard to get the most out of their materials, and to do that you need to know what the characteristics of your materials are.
    I agree. I'm almost always working in reciprocity territory. How about it? Every film I shoot has this info.