Thread: What photo finish cameras were used for the nags at the track

What photo finish cameras were used for the nags at the track

I'm working at our District Fair this week and every morning I walk past the horse racing track, which caused me to recollect this:
    I remember as a kid being fascinated by a trolley that would bring a cassette (or maybe a complete camera) from the infield of the track to the track steward's office near the grandstands. This has probably long been replaced with digital capture but back then a contact print would be hastily printed of the first horses crossing the finish line to prove which horse won "by a nose."
    I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some "photo finish" contact prints, I'm thinking 5x7s although I could be mistaken.
    An idea what kind of camera race tracks used for this job? And how they were fired to capture the moment of victory?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What photo finish cameras were used for the nags at the track

I remember a presentation by Andy Davidhazy of RIT on this subject many years ago at a meeting of the Schenectady Photographic Society.

Race tracks used slit cameras. The 'shutter' was actually a fixed aperture slit aligned with the finish line, and the film moved behind it at approximately the same speed as the horses. As a result, the final image was strip of images of the horses in exactly the order the crossed the finish line.

Davidhazy was an expert on non-traditional variations on camera design, including such things a peripheral cameras (similar to the panoramic x-ray used today by dentists, where a slit camera rotated around the subject recording a continuous image of the outer periphery of the camera. Interesting if perhaps a bit strange when used for portraiture. Davidhazy would take old conventional cameras and modify the mechanics to produce slit cameras, peripheral cameras and other oddities.

https://edge.twinspires.com/racing/t...finish-camera/

Thanks! That's fascinating information.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Robert Bowring

I think some places used high speed Hulcher Cameras.

Strip/slit cameas or high speed cameras place great demands on the lens ability to gather light ala large lens aperture. As exampled by this Canon EF 300mm f1.8 used on a horse race finish line stip camera..

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/27/can...r-lens-exists/

“Back then it was done with filmstrip or timing negative film,” he continues. “I would develop immediately after the race it would take about 8 seconds using dektol at 140 degrees and dip and dunk by hand. When digital took over film things became so much more advanced and so did the lenses.”

Bernice