Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: The Focus Magazine thread

Re: Focus Magazine scam ?

I too have been — to say the least — frustrated by my dealings (for over a year and a half at this point) with David Spivak and Focus Magazine. He is by far the most unresponsive, nontransparent, disappointing person I have dealt with in the photography world. Normally I would hesitate to share something like this in public (and don’t see the need to get into too much detail here, although I would be happy to if messaged…), but anyone considering working with him in the future deserves to be warned — in my view he should be avoided at all costs.

multiplex

wow, I haven't heard the name David Spivak for 10 years. I didn't even know he actually got the magazine off the ground, I just remember he was kind of "controversial" ..
    sorry to hear you didn't get what you paid for. have you sent a certified letter to him? don't forget we are living in strange times and anything could have happened from printing house closed to people meeting their maker ( or anything in-between ). I hope you get your situation sorted, good luck.

Niels

People who don’t enter into a open and honest dialogue when they can’t deliver, belongs behind bars, plain and simple.
    ----
    Niels

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by nitroplait View Post
    People who don’t enter into a open and honest dialogue when they can’t deliver, belongs behind bars, plain and simple.
    I can see this sometimes being true, but in the last 3 years everything has changed. Do you know that Mr Spivak and - or his publisher haven't been transported to a hospital, where they are recovering from an illness or emergency operation, covid related clotting syndrome, a stroke, or car wreck because they were run over / hit by a distracted, covid fogged, canibis-inebriated NYC driver? its easy to say this person deserves to be put behind bars when one doesn't know what the situation is. I hope the OP and others who feel they have been "ripped off" are able to make contact with David and learn what the delay and lack of communication is all about.
    Last edited by jnantz; 22-Feb-2023 at 04:32.

Mr. Spivak is indeed ill ( Cancer), but that does not excuse him for acting like a scumbag and breaking the law. Our actions (should) have consequences.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Photodude1550 View Post
    Mr. Spivak is indeed ill ( Cancer).
    Im sorry to hear that. I hope he has a fast recovery.

Any thoughts on other forums or other ways to get the word out ? I’m new to this whole posting thing.

You may find this thread of interest. Scroll through, and you will discover David Spivak's view on such matters.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...lsion+magazine

Looks like I may have to hire a lawyer to get my refund. Maybe that will get his attention. Lord knows, he’s not responding to me.

robert4x5poole

Quote Originally Posted by Photodude1550 View Post
    In April, I bought ad space in Issues 19 and 20 of Focus Fine Art Photography Magazine. These issues were supposed to be out by now, and after repeated inquiries to publisher David Spivak, have had absolutely no response. I’m afraid they may have taken my money and ran. Anybody else have similar experiences ? Have any info ?
    I too have had bad experiences with Mr Spivak. Along with several others (I've not been able to track down many others) I expressed interest in submitting 'alternative' images (platinum etc.) for a lavish special edition of Focus Magazine. He approached photographers via Facebook 2 years ago and eventually i paid a large sum to be featured. Result? Lots of correspondence, no special issue. It is promised (still). Watch this space.