Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Re: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

When I use my 75mm I find it helps to look at the ground glass at an angle when you are checking the corners. Line you eyes up with where the light is coming from if that makes sense. I piece the image together by moving my head around, which was awkward at first but you do get used to it.

How many photographers are going to change their fresnel -- back & forth -- because they switched from a 250mm to a 75mm?

I'm sure there are some, but not me!

Easier and simple to leave off the Fresnel, done.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    How many photographers are going to change their fresnel -- back & forth -- because they switched from a 250mm to a 75mm?

Essentially the same as using a tilting ground glass loupe or a hand held loupe tilted in the same way, from edge to center of the GG/lens.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    When I use my 75mm I find it helps to look at the ground glass at an angle when you are checking the corners. Line you eyes up with where the light is coming from if that makes sense. I piece the image together by moving my head around, which was awkward at first but you do get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

Depends on the camera... When I was using a 4x5 Sinar X with its reflex back in the field, I could change the fresnel (in its "clip-on" frame) in about 5 seconds. With the 8x10 Norma, changing the fresnel involved removing 4 small screws from 2 small brackets which held in the GG and the fresnel lens in place - I would have been crazy to do that in the field, and was too much trouble to do even in the studio.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Panj View Post
    I ran some more tests yesterday, and think I may have sorted out what is happening…. the real issue seems to be with centering the rise on the Intrepid 4x5 camera. I've been doing this by eye, but clearly, that is not enough. What is troublesome is that the Intrepid doesn't really have a means of knowing zero rise, or it doesn't until I mark my front standard with something very permanent so that I will know instantaneously in the future. Worse, even with a (cheap) fresnel, viewing the corners on the ground glass is impossible; it's pitch black. Which suggests I need to invest in something (a better fresnel, perhaps, and/or a better ground glass).

Yesterday, I used a laser level and measuring tape to find true zero rise on the front and rear standards, and then took out my trusty Leatherman to carve a mark on each standard.
    The latest 8x10” (a.k.a. the MkIII) has centering marks on the front standard, albeit small and pretty much useless…

I’ll be (re)marking these to make it more obvious when it’s centred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75E8E988-57D4-497D-A358-A6EEFC4D4BE5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	231690
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

One thing to keep in mind is that while some (most?) cameras have a centering mark for the front standard, lens centering also depends on the lensboard. Some cameras -- like mine -- are designed for off-centered lensboards. Even if your front standard is centered, if the wrong lensboard is used, the lens will still not be centered. Sometimes it can be difficult to know if your camera is designed for centered lensboards or off-centered lensboards -- and if so, by how much.

I have a 37mm lens that is too large to fit on an off-centered lensboard, but it fits on a lensboard with a centered hole. When I use it, I have to manually adjust the front standard to get the lens in the middle of the film/ground glass.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Three Ocular Magnifiers that I own, Plaubel Peco Profia, and Sinar Norma. My preferred way of viewing the glass, especially with the 75mm F8 barrel Norma SA and the 75mm F5.6 Norma barrel SA. The 75mm F8 is not bright to look through, I use fresnels on all my cameras. With the Monocular Oculars, you hve to get used to moving your head around quite a bit, I have found that I can view the subject (especially the corners), in quadrants of bright viewing. It does take some getting used to, but it works for me and I'm getting sharp results. And I can see the screen properly, just not all at once.

This idea can be incorporated into other types of view cameras.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Brings up a view camera curiosity...

~Why do the majority of field folder / sheet film press cameras lack centering detents and measurement scales with a reference zero?
    Nearly every field folder from Wood to metal lack these basic yet IMO, extremely importaint features...
    How difficult could adding these reference zero marks and scales be?

~Why do the majority of modern monorail view cameras have centering detents and measurement scales with a reference zero?
    Nearly every modern monorail view camera used to date has detents and reference zero.

Personally, any camera without reference zero scales/marks or some means of positive zero refernce position of the front/rear standards is totally unacceptable. Details like this make the specific view camera that much more difficult to use. In the case of those that apply camera movemens for nearly every image made or if combined camera movements on the front and rear standards from tiny to significant, the lack of centering detents, zero referenced scales and similar makes applying camera movements an extra effort. Scales on the camera can also be used as an indicator as to how much lens image circle has been used up and how much lens image circle remains available.. Losing an image/sheet of film to applying more camera movement than the lens image circle can provide is no fun at all..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    The latest 8x10” (a.k.a. the MkIII) has centering marks on the front standard, albeit small and pretty much useless…

I’ll be (re)marking these to make it more obvious when it’s centred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75E8E988-57D4-497D-A358-A6EEFC4D4BE5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	231690

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Brings up a view camera curiosity...

~Why do the majority of field folder / sheet film press cameras lack centering detents and measurement scales with a reference zero?
    Nearly every field folder from Wood to metal lack these basic yet IMO, extremely importaint features...
    How difficult could adding these reference zero marks and scales be?

Bernice
    Makes no sense to me. Luckily mine have the mark, but neither the manufacturer, nor the distributor, nor the seller, nor the instructions, indicated that off-set lens boards were needed.