Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Hello,
    I want to ask a question to see if anyone might have answers or thoughts. I have a Schnieder 75mm 1:8 Super-Angulon, which is exhibiting very strong vignetting on 4x5 film. It's most definitely a lenss made for 4x5, everything on Schneider's website makes that clear. I am using an Intrepid 4x5 camera and a recessed board to be able to focus correctly (because the camera doesnt like 75mm without having a recessed lens board). I know that the image is in focus; film tests prove that. And I know that there are no visible movements; no swing, no rise, nothing that can be detected by visual checks. But the vignetting on this lens is so strong, with about half of the image frame covered by vignetting, and the corners in pure black.

I am curious why would a lens that is clearly designed for 4x5 give such vignetting on that format? What am I missing? Is this something wrong with the Intrepid camera itself that I am missing? I am confussed, disheartened, and obviously saddened that I might have to just write off this lens as worthless....

Re: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Can you show a picture of the negative?

So, when you peek in the corners of the GG the pupil area or lens opening is totally obscured?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MechanicalVignetting.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	231565

I used a 75mm Super Angulon on a Cambowide for many years and never had the kind of vignetting you are describing. The lens does vignette, but not nearly so dramatically. Is it possible that the camera bellows are blocking the image? I am not familiar with the Intrepid camera, but very wide-angle lenses, such as a 75mm, usually need a bag bellows designed for that use. Like this one made for Sinar cameras— https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_bellows.html

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Do or do not. There is no try.

What f-stop is the lens set to?

I have just been working on this image I shot with my 75mm Super Angulon 5.6 hopefully this is a useful reference. This was shot with about 10mm of rise so any vignetting would be more obvious at the top of the frame. There is some but it is subtle. Conditions and subject will obviously make a difference, as would film choice.

St Michael's Up Marden by Toby Key, on Flickr

I once purchased a wide angle FUJINON lens that should have easily covered the 4x5 format but it didn't. Turned out that the front and rear sets of optics were mismatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I once purchased a wide angle FUJINON lens that should have easily covered the 4x5 format but it didn't. Turned out that the front and rear sets of optics were mismatched.
    This is a good point. Maybe you are not using what you think you are using.

In addition, are there any filters on the lens? Are you using a lens shade?

Are you sure the lens is in the middle of the film plane?

Pictures of the lens would help.

First 5x7 Norma Test 75f8 SA CF E3 150F9 Aristo2 Perfection 3.5min by Nokton48, on Flickr

My one and only (so far!) test of my 5x7" Sinar Norma. Also testing the Schneider 75mm F8 Super Angulon. I have the matching Schneider center filter marked "Filter for 75mm F8 SA". 5x7 HP5 D76 Omega E3 with Omegalite Head, Arista Ultra #2 RC paper Perfection D developer 3.5 minutes

I wanted to see the coverage and sharpness at the edges of the field with this lens without the center filter. It passed the test.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    First 5x7 Norma Test 75f8 SA CF E3 150F9 Aristo2 Perfection 3.5min by Nokton48, on Flickr

My one and only (so far!) test of my 5x7" Sinar Norma. Also testing the Schneider 75mm F8 Super Angulon. I have the matching Schneider center filter marked "Filter for 75mm F8 SA". 5x7 HP5 D76 Omega E3 with Omegalite Head, Arista Ultra #2 RC paper Perfection D developer 3.5 minutes

I wanted to see the coverage and sharpness at the edges of the field with this lens without the center filter. It passed the test.
    The filter does not change the vignetting it reduces the fall off.