Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Lachlan 717

Re: Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm and Vignetting on 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Going to be critical of the folks at Intrepid camera and others that do not put zero refernce lines, stops, detents and such.. How difficut could this be... Honestly... to add such an importaint basic feature of any view camera..

Dinky detents or illegable marks or similar... not gonna work, These needs to be BIG_BOLD and user friendly, there are about zero excuses for this other than economizing, inconsiderate to users needs or a belief it's users/owners do not value this very basic feature. Or, it's user/owner base lack the awareness of how importaint these refernce zero detents, marks or similar are..

Bernice
    Whilst I agree in principle, nobody should assume that these are much more than a gateway drug.

Intrepid’s business plan is to provide an entry level camera at an EXTREMELY good price. You know this (or you should) before you enter their ecosystem.

If this is true, I would argue that their target market isn’t those using semi-exotic lenses such as ultrawides.

Yes, we can argue “should haves”; however, they can more convincingly argue “we manage our business for the rule, not the exception”.

If it having detents keeps the price down for the 95% who don’t need them, it makes sense not to add them.

One final point - I recently received an 8x10 MkIII (the new one). The screws that hold the GG clips in place were both loose on arrival and wouldn’t tighten (either hole’s too big and/or stripped thread). So, I contacted Intrepid about this as well as passing on a couple of thoughts on the design that might be improvements. Intrepid quickly responded, saying they really welcome this kind of feedback and pass it on to their designers for consideration. This didn’t seem plecation; if felt that they generally do. So, we might see detents added one day!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

While a centering detent would be best, my field cameras just have simple red dots for visual alignment of the front standard. That must have set the manufacturer back about two cents. Intrepid and other economy cameras have no excuse.

And centering is not only important for wide-angle lenses. If someone buys an Intrepid to save money, they will also be buying economy lenses -- which make centering even more important.

I consider my all metal cameras to be top quality and LN

however detents are not always perfect and can be frustrating

not going to malign any dead tech or new
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you rely on seperate levels on the front and back you can also be sure that they will not agree with each other. Get a good level that you can use on both standards.
    I use this level.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_Level.html

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    While a centering detent would be best, my field cameras just have simple red dots for visual alignment of the front standard. That must have set the manufacturer back about two cents. Intrepid and other economy cameras have no excuse.

And centering is not only important for wide-angle lenses. If someone buys an Intrepid to save money, they will also be buying economy lenses -- which make centering even more important.
    My Intrepid does have centering marks (see above photo). They’re just not very well defined.

As for cheap lenses, not too many cheap sub-90mm (and their associated small ICs) lenses out there last time I looked… Plenty of cheap 90mm, 150mm and 210mm, though.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky