Thread: Linhof vs Arca Swiss lens boards

Linhof vs Arca Swiss lens boards

Hi all,

I've bought an Arca Swiss Metric 5x4 camera and with 141mm front. I plan to buy an adapter to leave on the front so that I can use smaller lens boards for easier storage. I'm tossing up between arca swiss 110mm adapter or the Linhof 99mmx96mm adapter. Advantages to the linhof are its slightly smaller for storage and the Chamonix C45F-2 uses them which I potentially plan to buy in the future for multi day trips wher weight is a factor. Only advantage to arca I can see is that they are 4 way symmetrical and so maybe easier to use? I'm new to 5x4 though so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Linhof vs Arca Swiss lens boards

You can find an adapter from almost any camera to Linhof Technika. I recommend Technika.

I started with Canham 110x110 boards. I don't see any advantage for them over Technika other than I don't need an adapter to put them on my Canham camera.

Good luck,
    jeff

What lenses will be used with the Linhof Technika lens boards?

Yes they are smaller, trade-offs enforce what lenses can be used.. The Linhof Technika lens boards are easier to get, can be lower cost with more variety than the 110mm Arca Swiss. If a recessed 110mm Arca Swiss lens board is needed, they are not as common or low cost compared to the Linhof Technika recessed lens boards.

Before considering lens boards, consider lenses...

Previous mention of using lenses up to 300mm, here are a few.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	~300mm:12%22 lens set.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	231561

Top left, Schneider 360mm f5.5 Tele Xenar, Copal# 3 shutter. next over 300mm f5.6 Schneider Symmar S has a 105mm filter size. This one is in Sinar DBM mount, they are often found in a# 3 shutter. Like the one used with the 360mm f5.5 Tele Xenar.

Bottom Right, 12" f6.3 Kodak Commercial Eltar, Ilex/Universal# 4 shutter, sinar lens board. 300mm f9 Rodenstock APO ronar, Copal# 1 shutter.
    # 3 shutter should be the largest shutter for the Linhof Technika or Arca Swiss 110mm lens boards.. except some folks have... "fitted" Ilex# 5 (See the 12" f4.5 Kodak Ektar below) to Linhof Technika lens boards

Name:	12%22 to 150mm Lens set.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	231562

Top left, 210mm f5.6 Fujinon W (very common modern "normal" 4x5 lens) Copal# 1 shutter. Fits good on a Technika lens board. Next over 12" f4.5 Kodak Ektar (All time fave lens of this type) Ilex# 5 shutter (Sinar Lens board) that some folks have "fitted" to a Technika lens board. Next over, 250mm f4.7 Fujinar SC in a Copal 3s shutter. Another GOOD tessar design/formula lens.

Bottom left, 203mm f7.7 Kodak EKtar, Compur# 1 shutter (really excellent lens in too many ways). Note the differnce in size. 150mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar, copal# 1 shutter. Reasonable "norma"l lens for 4x5.

~Which lens to use and why? Choice depends on image goals as they are all excellent in their own way with their own personality.

Wide angle lenses...

Name:	105mm to 38mm Lens set.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	231563

Top left, 105mm f8 Fujinon SW, copal# 1 shutter, not a small lens. next over, 90mm f4.5 Rodestock Grandagon N, compur# 1 shutter. One of the most common 4x5 wide angle lenses. Larger than the 105mm f8 Fujinon.. Both on Sinar lens boards. Some cameras that use Technika lens boards might not fit well due to size.

Bottom left, 38mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon XL, copal# 0 shutter on recessed Linhof Technika lens board. This is used with the Linhof Technikardan 23s and bag bellows to uitilize the entire image circle of this lens on 6x7 or 6x9. Recessed lens board is not much fun to use due to limited access to the shutter controls and shutter release (this one has the shutter release extender). 58mm f5.6 Schneider Super Agulon XL, copal# 0 shutter. Bag bellows still needed to uitilize the entire image circle of this lens on 6x7 or 6x9. 75mm f4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N. Mostly used with the normal bellows, but at times the bag bellows is uitilize the entire image circle of this lens on 6x7 or 6x9. This lens just covers 5x7 stopped down past f22..

These are all modern wide angle lenses, bag bellows is needed if significant camera movements are needed. Examples of why lens choice drives lens board/camera choice.

Previous discussion on Chamonix 45 N-2 lens board fit..
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...hamonix-45-N-2

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by tom roe View Post
    Hi all,

I've bought an Arca Swiss Metric 5x4 camera and with 141mm front. I plan to buy an adapter to leave on the front so that I can use smaller lens boards for easier storage. I'm tossing up between arca swiss 110mm adapter or the Linhof 99mmx96mm adapter. Advantages to the linhof are its slightly smaller for storage and the Chamonix C45F-2 uses them which I potentially plan to buy in the future for multi day trips wher weight is a factor. Only advantage to arca I can see is that they are 4 way symmetrical and so maybe easier to use? I'm new to 5x4 though so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 8-Oct-2022 at 11:21.

I have a 4x5 arca f-metric that takes 141mm lens boards. I bought the adapter to the 110mm boards from someone here for a good price and swapped all my lenses over to the 110mm boards. The main reason I switched from linhof boards is because I've been using the Schneider 90mm XL and have plans to purchase a 150mm to cover 8x10. The 90mm XL doesnt fit in the hole left for the light trap of the linhof boards and if I end up with the Nikkor SW 150mm, I dont think it'll fit either. Plus I like the extra centimeter for copal 3 shutters and vintage lenses in older, larger shutters. That said, if you dont anticipate needing the extra space for larger lenses, sticking with linhof boards is definitely cheaper. I have a luland arca 141mm to linhof adapter I'd sell you for cheap if you're interested in going that route. But SK grimes would probably make you one that's a little nicer.

As for the 4 way symmetry of the arca boards, personally I find it to be a bit slower because I have to pay close attention to the orientation of the lens when I'm mounting it to the camera if I want my shutter speeds to be facing up. The asymmetry of the linhof boards makes their orientation immediately recognizable. Hope any of this helps!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tjf View Post
    I have a 4x5 arca f-metric that takes 141mm lens boards. I bought the adapter to the 110mm boards from someone here for a good price and swapped all my lenses over to the 110mm boards. The main reason I switched from linhof boards is because I've been using the Schneider 90mm XL and have plans to purchase a 150mm to cover 8x10. The 90mm XL doesnt fit in the hole left for the light trap of the linhof boards and if I end up with the Nikkor SW 150mm, I dont think it'll fit either. Plus I like the extra centimeter for copal 3 shutters and vintage lenses in older, larger shutters. That said, if you dont anticipate needing the extra space for larger lenses, sticking with linhof boards is definitely cheaper. I have a luland arca 141mm to linhof adapter I'd sell you for cheap if you're interested in going that route. But SK grimes would probably make you one that's a little nicer.

As for the 4 way symmetry of the arca boards, personally I find it to be a bit slower because I have to pay close attention to the orientation of the lens when I'm mounting it to the camera if I want my shutter speeds to be facing up. The asymmetry of the linhof boards makes their orientation immediately recognizable. Hope any of this helps!

Tim
    90mm XL easily fits Linhof Technika 45 cameras. When Schneider first released this lens it did not fit without first removing the rear cell, mounting on the camera and then replacing the rear cell on the shutter. Schneider quickly discovered this problem and then redesigned the rear cell with a removable outer ring on the cell so it easily fits the hole in LInhof 45 Technika cameras without removing that rear cell.
    Check your lens to see if you have one of the original versions or the later improved versions.

I’m aware of the change. Unfortunately my lens isn’t one with a removable outer ring

I bought a 24cm Heiliar lens with a Compound 4 shutter(? - approx 75mm flange thread) that had a butchered flange with it. The Compound 4 flange will fit a Canham 110x110 board without altering the flange. An SKGrimes Compound 4 flange is 99.6mm to the outer edge.

I believe you could get the Compound 4 flange mounted on a Technika board by trimming the outer edge of the flange making it almost square.

Name:	IMG-0307sm.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	231611

jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Keller; 8-Oct-2022 at 13:54.