Thread: Early notes on the SmallRig 120D LED light

Early notes on the SmallRig 120D LED light

I needn't say much here, because reviews of this recent light are easy to find. I mention it only because, as I had hoped, it's bright enough to serve even with some large format work, such as portraits. Although I am trying to use natural light primarily, interiors can mean uncomfortably long shutter speeds. This LED is bright enough, for my work, to squeeze by as an "emergency" bounced key light, and is more than adequate for bounced fill. Power is dialed up and down simply. I shoot HP5 in 4x5, generally at between 200 and 800, depending on conditions. The low power consumption (120 Watts) means I can plug in anywhere without worry and carry a lighter extension cord than for my 500- to 750-W halogen lights. It's not as compact as the Lowels, of course, but it's not huge or heavy, either.

I haven't ordered a battery yet (I have to sell some equipment first), but that's another neat feature.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Early notes on the SmallRig 120D LED light

Is it good enough for an indoor 4x5 key light? Im looking for something small and not super expensive as I wont use it that much, but would like to be able to take an indoor 4x5 portrait at acceptable speeds

As I indicated, as a bounce, in not too big a space if using a wall/ceiling, or with a reflector, it's just enough for 1/4 or 1/2 second at f/11 or 16. I haven't tested diffusion or umbrella yet, but keep in mind that the LED is small and will concentrate a certain amount of light at the center, so if the diffusion is not heavy or doubled with spacing, this will affect the quality of the light.

As a direct light it's very bright indeed, especially with the reflector. Check out the manufacturer's rating, do the calculations, and see if it will work for you. I can test a specific simple one-light set-up if you like.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    As I indicated, as a bounce, in not too big a space if using a wall/ceiling, or with a reflector, it's just enough for 1/4 or 1/2 second at f/11 or 16. I haven't tested diffusion or umbrella yet, but keep in mind that the LED is small and will concentrate a certain amount of light at the center, so if the diffusion is not heavy or doubled with spacing, this will affect the quality of the light.

As a direct light it's very bright indeed, especially with the reflector. Check out the manufacturer's rating, do the calculations, and see if it will work for you. I can test a specific simple one-light set-up if you like.
    Awesome thanks! I ran my own test yesterday on a godox tt350f. I have enough power speed with hp5 to get it to f22 - phew!

As one portraitist to another. I'd be interested to see some of your work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art