Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick release recommendations...

Quick release recommendations...

Hello:

I'm interested in a quick release system for my 4x5 setup (Shen Hao 45IIa). I have a Gitzo tripod with a Ries J-250 head. Ideally, I'd also like the quick release to also work for a Hasselblad 501cm.

What have your solutions been?

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Quick release recommendations...

I use the Arca-Swiss system for all my cameras, 35mm, medium format and 4x5 field and single-rail. There are many manufacturers of heads, clamps and plates to choose from. Really Right Stuff is my preference, Kirk and Acratek are others. And of course Arca-Swiss and a slew of Chinese manufacturers.

I like SmallRig

Amazon

Affordable and good
    Tin Can

Get a Hasselblad quick release coupler for the "V" system.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hasselblad-Tr.../dp/B08BS34GCN

This will fit direct on the Hasselblad 501/500/2000 series camera as they have a built in QR plate on the bottom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hassy 501cm_j.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	231492

To mount differnt cameras on the Hassy quick release coupler, Hasselblad "pro systems" made these plates allowing foto industry standard 1/4" threaded cameras to be fitted to the Hassy QR:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12538056442...Bk9SR7b71PHzYA

Check for lock lever clearance with any specific camera or lens to be used..

Stayed with this version of the Hassy QR plate as it is low profile and does not get in the way too much of the folded up camera. Other QR plates tend to be taller and bulk_ier causing transport issues.

Having used the Hassy QR system for decades, made this Hassy QR block for the Linhof TK23s.

Name:	TK23s QR plate.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	231493

Name:	TK23s QR plate-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	231495

Name:	TK23s QR plate-2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	231496

There is Hassy QR in the case for the TK23s, this allows the TK23s to be transported complete with a lens. Release the Hassy QR in the case, pull out the TK23s complete, attach to the set up tripod. Takes a few seconds to accomplish.

Name:	TK23s outfit case.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	231494

Favored the Hassy QR over other QR systems due to it's low profile, stability of coupling and ease to obtain Hassy tripod QR couplers. There are many versions of the Hassy QR due to the decades they have been produced. They all function basiclly the same.

Bernice

The J250 head has a large platform with a single screw coming up to attach the camera. To use a quick release you will need to mount a clamp on top of the J250 platform. I don't know of any clamps that will extend to the edge of the platform. Whether the clamp has a lever lock or a screw lock, you probably won't be able to reach in between the bottom of the camera and the Ries platform to operate the quick release.

The second issue is that you may find the camera is more likely to rotate about the single screw coming up to the camera quick-release clamp. It is my understanding that Ries builds their platform slightly concave so that the camera is pulled down against the most outer part of the platform that touches the camera. That helps prevent rotation. The clamp will almost certainly be much smaller than your camera base and would have less torque resistance when pulled up against the platform of the J250.

Although I like to use Arca Swiss style quick releases on all of my cameras the J250 head isn't very quick release clamp friendly. I do have a J250 head that I use only with an 8x10 wooden camera. For anything smaller, I use heads specifically built for Arca Swiss style quick releases.

Perhaps there is a video camera quick-release clamp that would work. I've only seen it on their website but maybe the SmallRig Touch and Go Quick Release Kit 2128

Good luck, hopefully someone has thought of something I haven't.

I use Kessler Kwik Release Receiver V2 for my Chamonix 4x5 and Mamiya RB67 medium format 6x7. Also, see if you can get the matching two screw plates to avoid camera twisting.

I have 2 sets of Horseman QR

Hard to find, but I really like how the sled has 2 safeties and a Z pattern so I can land the plate

It can mount anything
    Tin Can

Thanks for all this great information...I appreciate it!

Steve

I use Really Right Stuff releases on my smaller cameras including Speed Graphics in 4x5. But I found my bigger 4x5s and certainly 8x10 to not really work well. They would turn on the single screw and just felt rickety.

I migrated from Bogen/Manfrotto square and hexagonal plates to Arca-Swiss type, they are more comfortable. And idea to use Hasselblad quick release coupler is awesome, never thought about that.