Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs Metric C Field for architecture

Re: Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs Metric C Field for architecture

Hi, thanks for everyone's comments, it's been very useful. I ended up going with the standard metric with the 141mm front. I appreciate that the sinars are more cost efficient but I've been saving up for an arca and had my heart set on it so it's hard to look back at that point!

Re: Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs Metric C Field for architceture

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Here you go - shown on camera w/ 25mm rear fall, 12mm shift. Since my camera only has 35mm shift in any direction, I just left out the stiffeners for the first couple of pleat rows to give enough flexibility. For more movements, you'd probably want more flexibility.

Attachment 231510
    Thanks for this Alan, is that a horseman 6x7 back you're using? Would you recommend? I'm tossing up between this and the toyo for when I need to shoot 6x7

Here you go - shown on camera w/ 25mm rear fall, 12mm shift. Since my camera only has 35mm shift in any direction, I just left out the stiffeners for the first couple of pleat rows to give enough flexibility. For more movements, you'd probably want more flexibility.

Attachment 231510
    Thank you – looks good

Quote Originally Posted by tom roe View Post
    Thanks for this Alan, is that a horseman 6x7 back you're using? Would you recommend? I'm tossing up between this and the toyo for when I need to shoot 6x7
    It’s a Horseman 6x12 back, but it’s just like the 6x7 & 6x9 versions. I like them better than the Toyos, even though you have to take off the ground glass. From memory, I think the Toyo bends the film more(?)

Appears to be an Arca Swiss_Sinar hybrid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arca_Sinar.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	231517

As for roll film backs, 120 roll film backs that fit on to the 4x5 graflok back after removing the ground glass can be a hassle and risk droping the ground glass frame/carrier each time the 120 roll film back is exposure cycled (on-off). Best of these are Linhof Super Rolex. The Horseman (also re-branded Arca Swiss) or Toyo 120 roll film backs work ok, but not nearly as good at holding the film flat or durable as the Linhof Super Rolex.

Better solution for 120 roll film backs for 4x5 are the slide in variety which does not require removal of the ground glass carrier/frame to install the 120 roll film back. These function near identical as a 4x5 sheet film holder.

Bernice

Attachment 231510

That better solution may also have film flatness problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Appears to be an Arca Swiss_Sinar hybrid.
    Correct: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...36#post1622036

As for roll film backs, 120 roll film backs that fit on to the 4x5 graflok back after removing the ground glass can be a hassle and risk droping the ground glass frame/carrier each time the 120 roll film back is exposure cycled (on-off). Best of these are Linhof Super Rolex. The Horseman (also re-branded Arca Swiss) or Toyo 120 roll film backs work ok, but not nearly as good at holding the film flat or durable as the Linhof Super Rolex.
    Another issue with the Toyo holder and some cameras: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...60#post1623060

Better solution for 120 roll film backs for 4x5 are the slide in variety which does not require removal of the ground glass carrier/frame to install the 120 roll film back. These function near identical as a 4x5 sheet film holder.
    Better in some ways, worse in others - like most things in photography and life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That better solution may also have film flatness problems.
    If Kodak expands upon its recently introduced 120 Gold film, which is coated on polyester rather than acetate base, there might be enough choices to put the reverse-curl-take-a-set-bulge behind us forever. All roll film holders that don't have a straight feed path from supply spool to gate suffer from bulges to greater or lesser degrees. Which is to say virtually every holder that was made, with almost no exceptions. The degree to which bulges matter varies based on lens focal length (shorter suffers more than longer) and taking aperture (wider makes things worse). The extent of bulge varies based on how much the feed path bends.