Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Re: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

My first 8x10 camera in the mid 1970s was a (quite bulky) Burke & James Commercial view. Hiked up many a gorge in the Finger Lakes region of New York with it even in the dead of winter. Backpacked the B&J 8x10 outfit but only on day hikes. When I wanted to make overnight hikes and backpack an 8x10, I chose an Empire State view camera which I modified the lensboard to be able to tilt. I swear that it was the lightest 8x10 field camera ever made. Later on acquired an 11x14 Improved Empire State view camera which I also modified the whole front standard to include tilts. (Modifying the lensboard to tilt instead of the whole front standard worked out to be a better DIY modification). The 11x14 proved too large to backpack on overnight hikes, plus carrying four 11x14 film holders really added a lot of weight (and volume) to the pack. Years ago I switched to an 8x10 Chamonix... not cheap but once you use it in the field, there is no going back. I have used a friend's 8x10 Intrepid only once... honestly I wasn't impressed by it (I do believe that it was a very early model/version of the camera with no updates or improvements). If you don't want to backpack with the 8x10, I'd suggest acquiring a Sinar 8x10 Norma which is my present 8x10 to use from the back of my car/SUV. Once owned and used a Sinar 8x10 P expert outfit and was shooting 8x10 Chromes but I actually preferred using the Norma to the P and ended up selling the P. I had a friend who backpacked with a Raja? (probably the wrong manufacturer's brand name but it was made in India) wooden flatbed view camera and he loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by acrobatic_citron View Post
    the UK VAT is aready included in the £520 and a quick google shows no import duty from UK into US under $800! score!
    Exactly my thoughts…

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My first 8x10 camera in the mid 1970s was a (quite bulky) Burke & James Commercial view. Hiked up many a gorge in the Finger Lakes region of New York with it even in the dead of winter. Backpacked the B&J 8x10 outfit but only on day hikes. When I wanted to make overnight hikes and backpack an 8x10, I chose an Empire State view camera which I modified the lensboard to be able to tilt. I swear that it was the lightest 8x10 field camera ever made. Later on acquired an 11x14 Improved Empire State view camera which I also modified the whole front standard to include tilts. (Modifying the lensboard to tilt instead of the whole front standard worked out to be a better DIY modification). The 11x14 proved too large to backpack on overnight hikes, plus carrying four 11x14 film holders really added a lot of weight (and volume) to the pack. Years ago I switched to an 8x10 Chamonix... not cheap but once you use it in the field, there is no going back. I have used a friend's 8x10 Intrepid only once... honestly I wasn't impressed by it (I do believe that it was a very early model/version of the camera with no updates or improvements). If you don't want to backpack with the 8x10, I'd suggest acquiring a Sinar 8x10 Norma which is my present 8x10 to use from the back of my car/SUV. Once owned and used a Sinar 8x10 P expert outfit and was shooting 8x10 Chromes but I actually preferred using the Norma to the P and ended up selling the P. I had a friend who backpacked with a Raja? (probably the wrong manufacturer's brand name but it was made in India) wooden flatbed view camera and he loved it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! It’s very valuable to those considering a purchase.

Quick update - I ordered an Intrepid Mk 3 from the manufacturer. It looks like it will take about a month to get it, but I’ll have time to source a lens.

Also if any US based photographers are thinking about getting one - now is a good time. The price will be minus VAT and with exchange rate it came out to just under $450, I’m paying $44 shipping but that includes shipping for a camera case and a pinhole lens.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Probably make money selling a used Intrepid 8x10. You can't get them anywhere used or new. If someone is selling one for half-price, I'll buy it. My daughter is currently using my rickety old Century 8x10 in school. I could upgrade her.
    3-4 weeks for a new one.

They had a (recent) slow period where I believe they were ramping up the MkIII.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Greg - I just noticed from your signature that we live in the same town! What a small world!

Here is an iPhone picture of Cyanotype print I made from an 8x10 X-Ray film shot from the deserted Collinsville Jamboree one Sunday morning ….

Jamboree by gdi2003, on Flickr