Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Re: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I use a lightweight Chamonix 4x5, a 1920s Gundlach Korona 5x7, and a 1920s Kodak 2D 8x10. I shoot film, dry plate, wet plate. I'm strictly an outdoor photographer, mostly architecture and "historical" events, some landscapes. I've found that what camera I use depends on the reason for the photo. If hiking or traveling, I usually use the 4x5. If selling the photo I generally use th e8x10. All in all I've found the 5x7 to be perfect middle ground. It's big enough to print (or make tin type portraits,) yet still compact & light enough to travel or hike with. It's my most used camera. You might consider a modern 5x7 if you aren't doing a lot of color negs.

Kent in SD
    I havent given serious consideration to 5x7, but I will investigate - so far I have only shot B&W in large format.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    On my spring backpacking trip, I brought the following:

Chamonix Alpinist X 8x10
    4 Chamonix Film Holders
    Fujinon A 240mm
    Fujinon C 300mm
    Fujinon C 450mm
    Arca-Swiss P0 Ballhead
    Gitzo 1 Series Mountaineer Tripod
    Light Meter, cable release, stopwatch, etc.

The Chamonix Alpinist X actually weighs a small amount more than the Intrepid, so swap the far less expensive Intrepid 8x10 for an even lighter setup.

All of that fit inside an ultralight backpack made by Zpacks.
    Here's a video showing what all I brought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDt-xWiM5sc
    Impressive video, Ben - incredible that you can get the weight down to 35 pounds! The Alpinist looks great, but as a hobbyist with limited dedication to large format I think that is more than I will spend. The intrepid is looking pretty good - at least to try out. As a gear junkie, I really have to keep myself on point.

Many thanks - I am enjoying your videos and appreciate your contribution to the community.

Life is short, even if we make 100

Do it now!
    Tin Can

I had an 8x10MKII. It was a decent camera to use. I bet the new version is better. Every camera has it's quirks. The only way to really know if it's for you is to give it a try. You can always buy one, use it for 6 months, and then decide. If you sell it, you'll likely recoup quite a bit of the purchase price. Think of it as a rental....I had a few quality issues with mine, but Intrepid was quick to help.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    As a gear junkie, I really have to keep myself on point.
    Ha, I think most of us view GAS like my favorite saint and Church Father used to see chastity, praying for continence, but not yet.

At any rate, I'll throw another option out there: whole plate. You could do your own search about what others have said about the format, but a lot folks see it as a sweet spot between 5x7 and 8x10: big enough for a reasonable contact print, yet small enough to be covered by a lot of 4x5/5x7 lenses. The cameras themselves tend to be on the svelte side as well.

At any rate, good luck with your search.

I think I’ll go for an new Intrepid - it looks like there is about a months wait ( if they can stick to that schedule) so I’ll have time to try to source a lens.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    I have had several 8x10 cameras but stupidly sold them all in a weak attempt to downsize. Basically - started with a Kodak 2D, too limited with respect to movements, then a Calumet C-1, too heavy and it hurt whenever I dropped it on my toes, and finally a Deardorff V8, just right. I should have kept the V8 but now I realize the prices have gone up significantly and it is painful to contemplate repurchasing at the higher prices.

Also, I found myself using X-ray film mostly due to the high film costs of course, and did scanning and contact prints ( some Cyanotype as well). I found it harder to get good results with the double sided X-ray film, but again - so cheap. Could those with experience with the classic 8x10s as well as the Intrepid or Cheap Gibellini, etc., weigh in on the suitability of the new players compared to the tried and true brands?

Or will I be judged a buffoon for getting anything when my main intent is to shoot the cheapest film I can find? ( Note, I have shot a good bit of 4x5 over the years so I am neither a stranger or an expert with LF- but I do want fairly good movement capability)

Thx

PS, if anyone had a line on a good user Deardorff or comparable classic wooden field camera please message me! 😉
    If you buy a new cheap camera you’ll loose money when you sell it. If you buy a user Deardorff you won’t loose money. It’s your nickel.

I didn't lose much money when I sold my Intrepid.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    If you buy a new cheap camera you’ll loose money when you sell it. If you buy a user Deardorff you won’t loose money. It’s your nickel.
    well, an intrepid costs 520£+VAT, if you sell it for half the price you'll lose 2-300£. Not great, not terrible.

Latest Deardorffs on ebay went for something like 2000$-2500$: one could put up a decent kit with the price difference alone, you cannot compare the two...

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    All used equipment comes with a risk, and if you need to pay in order to address any unexpected problem, that money is not recoupable when you resell.

All new equipment will lose in value when you resell, expensive or cheap.
    The loss on cheap may be a higher percentage but less in $$:
    Sell your new $5000 Arca Swiss with a 20% loss = $1000.
    Sell your new $500 Intrepid with a 50% loss = $250.

Some may prefer to loose $250 rather than $1000.
    ----
    Niels