Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Re: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Given the goal of 8x10, size/weight of the entire outfit is not gonna be small or light weight.
    Very true, but at 70 years young the Intrepid 8x10 along with Fuji A and C lenses plus carbon fiber tripod enable me to trek this outfit to places I couldn't dream of going with my Deardorff gear. Yes, there are challenges (especially with regard to wind) to using this lighter weight outfit, but they can usually be dealt with, and I come away with images that I couldn't otherwise create.

Personal solution for the need of using a view camera to meet image making needs, go down film size to 120 roll film. Don't trek or hike or camp or ... no real interest in making those types of images or experiences..

What cannot be trade off, lens choice and the camera's ability to do as required. Same applies to tripod/tripod head or why the woodiee tripod after doing rounds with Alum & CF..

Have about zero tolerance for a camera that cannot do as required with ease, precision, accuracy and stability. Life is too short for frustrations and struggles like this. Make each and every film frame count greatly reduces film cost and film waste. 120 roll at 6x9 gives 8 frames which is plenty per day.

Hope is one day to be back at using the 5x7 Sinar Norma and all related camera outfit.

It's all a trade off folks,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Very true, but at 70 years young the Intrepid 8x10 along with Fuji A and C lenses plus carbon fiber tripod enable me to trek this outfit to places I couldn't dream of going with my Deardorff gear. Yes, there are challenges (especially with regard to wind) to using this lighter weight outfit, but they can usually be dealt with, and I come away with images that I couldn't otherwise create.

Personal solution for the need of using a view camera to meet image making needs, go down film size to 120 roll film. Don't trek or hike or camp or ... no real interest in making those types of images or experiences..

What cannot be trade off, lens choice and the camera's ability to do as required. Same applies to tripod/tripod head or why the woodiee tripod after doing rounds with Alum & CF..

Have about zero tolerance for a camera that cannot do as required with ease, precision, accuracy and stability. Life is too short for frustrations and struggles like this. Make each and every film frame count greatly reduces film cost and film waste. 120 roll at 6x9 gives 8 frames which is plenty per day.

Hope is one day to be back at using the 5x7 Sinar Norma and all related camera outfit.

It's all a trade off folks,
    Bernice
    I've really been shooting my Fuji 6x9 rangefinders a lot. 4x5 Crown Graphic is nice to carry, I use the rangefinder. I have a Deardorff V8, it rarely gets out of the house these days.

I was going to write to just get another Deardorff, but after looking at the Interpid 8x10 website and seeing the price, I think there is a lot of value there. Obviously you know how to use an 8x10 and can see the same pictures of the camera. Unless someone comes on here and says it fell apart in their hands, I'd seriously consider the Interpid.

Personal solution for the need of using a view camera to meet image making needs, go down film size to 120 roll film.
    For me, using an 8x10 is a desire not a need. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite format! For 40 years now, I've never tired of shooting this format or the resulting contact prints that can be made when done by a sensitive/skilled worker. In general, I too, prefer precision in my cameras, but the Intrepid (though a bit fiddly) enables me to make images I otherwise wouldn't get. Personally, I'm willing to make that trade off.

Better question to ponder..

Given the goal of 8x10, size/weight of the entire outfit is not gonna be small or light weight.

Bernice
    On my backpacking trip this past spring, my entire pack was about 35lbs. That included 5 days worth of food, survival gear, and my 8x10 kit with 3 lenses and 4 film holders. Quite honestly, my lightweight 8x10 kit weighs less than some digital kits. It's amazing what's possible these days when you make the right choices.

Ok Ben - what is your lightweight 8x10 kit comprised of ? I guess I never had a lightweight 8x10 -closest was the 2d I believe but I’d never call it lightweight.

Thx

Thank you all for the advice. And to follow up on some of the excellent points - I shoot mainly MF - 6x7 Mamiya 7, and 6x12 Noblex and 6x17 Noblex and G617. So if I am hiking I probably use one of those ( or my new to me Pentax 645 which I think I may grow to love - first test rolls are drying tonight!)

I shoot a bit of 4x5 with a Super Speed graphic and have thought about getting a more flexible 4x5 field camera, but I really want to get back to the deliberate process and those 8x10 contact prints! So I will likely not be trekking far with the big camera - and definitely not with my Bogen 3051!

Yes, my heart, and appreciation for history, says Deardorff, but we’ll see…

Foamer

I use a lightweight Chamonix 4x5, a 1920s Gundlach Korona 5x7, and a 1920s Kodak 2D 8x10. I shoot film, dry plate, wet plate. I'm strictly an outdoor photographer, mostly architecture and "historical" events, some landscapes. I've found that what camera I use depends on the reason for the photo. If hiking or traveling, I usually use the 4x5. If selling the photo I generally use th e8x10. All in all I've found the 5x7 to be perfect middle ground. It's big enough to print (or make tin type portraits,) yet still compact & light enough to travel or hike with. It's my most used camera. You might consider a modern 5x7 if you aren't doing a lot of color negs.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Ok Ben - what is your lightweight 8x10 kit comprised of ? I guess I never had a lightweight 8x10 -closest was the 2d I believe but I’d never call it lightweight.

Thx

On my spring backpacking trip, I brought the following:

Chamonix Alpinist X 8x10
    4 Chamonix Film Holders
    Fujinon A 240mm
    Fujinon C 300mm
    Fujinon C 450mm
    Arca-Swiss P0 Ballhead
    Gitzo 1 Series Mountaineer Tripod
    Light Meter, cable release, stopwatch, etc.

The Chamonix Alpinist X actually weighs a small amount more than the Intrepid, so swap the far less expensive Intrepid 8x10 for an even lighter setup.

All of that fit inside an ultralight backpack made by Zpacks.
    Here's a video showing what all I brought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDt-xWiM5sc