Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

I have had several 8x10 cameras but stupidly sold them all in a weak attempt to downsize. Basically - started with a Kodak 2D, too limited with respect to movements, then a Calumet C-1, too heavy and it hurt whenever I dropped it on my toes, and finally a Deardorff V8, just right. I should have kept the V8 but now I realize the prices have gone up significantly and it is painful to contemplate repurchasing at the higher prices.

Also, I found myself using X-ray film mostly due to the high film costs of course, and did scanning and contact prints ( some Cyanotype as well). I found it harder to get good results with the double sided X-ray film, but again - so cheap. Could those with experience with the classic 8x10s as well as the Intrepid or Cheap Gibellini, etc., weigh in on the suitability of the new players compared to the tried and true brands?

Or will I be judged a buffoon for getting anything when my main intent is to shoot the cheapest film I can find? ( Note, I have shot a good bit of 4x5 over the years so I am neither a stranger or an expert with LF- but I do want fairly good movement capability)

Thx

PS, if anyone had a line on a good user Deardorff or comparable classic wooden field camera please message me! 😉

Re: Getting back into 8x10, would a cheap Intrepid Satisfy?

You should have access to the classified section, since your join date is 2007.
    If not, PM a moderator.
    Look in the FS section, go back through the first 10-12 pages & see what tickles your fancy.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

With 8X10, severe movements are not as pronounced as with smaller LF formats... Most all field cameras end up not having all that much movement "effect" than pro monorails or smaller formats... Field folding cameras tend to have less bellows draw that limits applications with different FL lens ranges...

I still hold on to smaller LF has more range to enlarge with standard (available) enlargers, but for alt processes, bigger neg is better for contact printing processes...

Tons of 4X5 stuff available inexpensive, but 8X10 stuff more limited... Beyond camera + lenses, lotsa other stuff needed like holders, heavy tripod, bags/cases etc + processing needs (you can develop a sheet in a tray, but multiples???) And a big rig to carry around shooting...

A camera is the entry level drug here... :0

Steve K

Thanks Steve.

Fortunately I have a big study tripod patiently waiting in the corner, along with a modified Kelly back pack, and a couple of light tight holders so if I decide on a camera and lens I should be able to be productive ( meaning I can quickly start burning more cash on film etc) right off the bat. I even have a Jobo processor and a big expert drum to process efficiently ( though I’ll need to test out some X-ray film in that drum).

I have both a Deardorff V8 and Intrepid V2 8x10's. The Deardorff is too heavy to backpack very far, but is wonderfully solid and a joy to use. The Intrepid can be carried anywhere I want to take it, but it's fiddly and what you'd expect at it's price point. That said, I'm glad I have both because each fills a different need.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I have both a Deardorff V8 and Intrepid V2 8x10's. The Deardorff is too heavy to backpack very far, but is wonderfully solid and a joy to use. The Intrepid can be carried anywhere I want to take it, but it's fiddly and what you'd expect at it's price point. That said, I'm glad I have both because each fills a different need.
    This is exactly my situation as well, and my comments would be virtually identical to Alan's. For the most part, the Deardorff gets used only at home "in studio" nowadays, and the Intrepid goes everywhere else. The Intrepid gets the job done, but I feel I have to be more careful with it and pay extra attention to setting it, but it has yet to fail me in any way. Because of its light weight and conveniences, the Intrepid gets used far more, at least until I need to mount my 15" Lerebours et Secretan Petzval, which only the Deardorff can support!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The Intrepid gets the job done, but I feel I have to be more careful with it and pay extra attention to setting it, but it has yet to fail me in any way.
    Exactly! I've always held the opinion that the Intrepid has its place, but I don't consider it a beginner 8x10 camera. I use Fuji A and C lenses on mine. The only "failure" I ever had was with the spring back when shooting dry plates. The short clips on the end of the spring would slip off the back making it a little more of a challenge to get the holder in/out. Then, I'd have to fiddle with the springs to get them back into correct position. This issue was later resolved by Intrepid by increasing the size of the clip end, which I retrofitted to my camera. All is good now.

Like you, the Deardorff is used when I feel the itch to use my HUGE Schneider 360/6.8, the Fuji CM 360, or the Schneider 19" Artar. I am especially fond of the way the Schneider 360 renders on film and would use it all the time, except that it's big/heavy with a front element the size of a small dinner plate!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hnet.com-image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	231361

Better question to ponder..

~Image goals.

~What lenses will be used with any camera choice. Camer brand/type and all that is not as importaint then the specific camera's ability to properly support the lenses needed and how the outfit will be used.

~How will this outfit be used (hiking, indoors, back packing-day trips, etc.).

SO much focus on camera weight/size.. what about tripod, film holders (each 8x10 film holder weights about 1.2 pounds then add their physical size), and all related to view camera image making? More often than not, the camera weight/bulk is merely a smaller part of what makes up the bulk of the entire out fit.

Light weight tripod trades off lens/camera stability and related which can become a very serious limitation depending on image goals and how the outfit is used. Been there done this with Wood -vs- Carbon Fiber -vs- Aluminium tripods.. Wood came out the highly perfered choice for too many reasons.

Given the goal of 8x10, size/weight of the entire outfit is not gonna be small or light weight.

Bernice