Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after you remove the wet neg from scanner, what's your drying method?

Re: after you remove the wet neg from scanner, what's your drying method?

I have YET to do 8x10 wet mount. I was told to tape where the glass meets the edges. I now have a very nice printer (epson sc p-700) and really want to get some nice prints. Previously, I just do a quick scan on the glass, and I do see Newton rings. But scaled down to 800 wide photo for web, it was just fine.

I want one of those plastic bottles with the bent top to squirt the fluid. Right now, I'm using a squeezy bottle like the one you use in the kitchens for ketchup.
    --

Yep, you don't want mounting fluid to get under the bed glass and/or into the internals of the scanner. I carefully tape around the edges of the glass and long ago I figured out exactly how much fluid to use to provide good coverage of the film, but not be excessive such that any large quantity seeps out from the edges of the mylar overlay when I go to remove any bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Depends on what you mean by quality, Alan.
    On a high end flatbed the difference is in noticeable smoothness in wet mounted scans vs dry. In theory (hard to prove), the tone reproduction should improve due to physics of the light transmittance (less reflective surfaces in the path between the light source and the sensor)
    The major factor for me is - wet mounting is the only way to guarantee film flatness and precision with mounting.
    The V850 film holders for 4x5, 35mm, and 120, hold the film flat against built-in glass in the holders. OF course, for 8x10 where the glass platen is used to scan, that's not the case. So wet mounting might be different for 8x10.

Wet-mounting does tend to keep the negative flat, but mounting on a flat plate is different then mounting around a drum. With drum mounting, the cover sheet is forcing the negative to the drum. On a flat surface, the cover sheet is mostly tightening like a drum skin, i.e. the pull is from the sides. It's not down. This can lead to the film not really being flat.

If interested, one should do a test. With some systems, the difference can be large, but with others not-so-much. For me, the wet-mounting led to less granularity in the depiction of photographic grain, (Not silver grains!). In my case, the slight improvements didn't justify the hassle, especially as I don't print large enough from LF to see any grain. For smaller formats, this becomes more important, and they are often enlarged more.

I just looked at maybe 75 prints from 8x10, most of them from Provia. (These were made by an outstanding 8x10 photographer...not me!) The prints were small, all less than 20" on the long side. They looked great! Most were dry scanned on an Epson. Some were drum scanned. At those print sizes, I couldn't tell a difference.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 29-Sep-2022 at 11:48.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

>> On a flat surface, the cover sheet is mostly tightening like a drum skin, i.e. the pull is from the sides. It's not down
    Atmospheric pressure and vacuum between surfaces of film , glass and mylar is what keeps the film flat. One of the reasons to get rid of bubbles .
    Attempts to forcefully pull mylar to the sides during wet mounting on scanners glass almost always causes Newton rings (also looks like ultra fine banding in the skyes) as there is no way to pull the mylar evenly along the entire edge.
    I never noticed such effects with the Eversmart Jazz , but definitely had it with both Pro and IQSmart. Once I stopped pulling the mylar and switched to a gentle rolling with a heavy roller - the scans are perfect .

As long as the film lays flat......I've had sheet film that wouldn't wet-mount successfully on a flatbed. The edges would pop up. No amount of rolling fixed it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

>> I've had sheet film that wouldn't wet-mount successfully on a flatbed.
    Every rule has exceptions
    Usually I am having hard time lifting film off the glass after mylar is removed

Yep! Usually, there wasn't a problem.

Here is a comparison between Epson V850 dry scan of Tmax 100 with its 4x5 film holder against a Howtek 8000 drum scan. They compare favorably. Sorry, I don't have an Epson wet scan of it.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ghlight=howtek